Winchester 231 powder and the 300 Blackout

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RWS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2019
    Folsom, LA
    Does anyone have any experience or information about using 231 in the 300 Blackout. I see that a lot of pistol powders are being used, but I see nothing about 231. Got in
    touch with Winchester, only to find that they recommended the use of CFE BLK, since it was specifically developed for the 300 AAC. I have plenty of 231 for handgun reloading and just wondered, if I could get use from it.

Kuffaar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2019
    Lafayette
    Winchester 231 is a small cartridge powder. I wouldn’t use it on a rifle load. I use it for my .45 acp loads not sure I would try testing it on a rifle load I believe the burn rate is different. Honestly it’s cheap to buy the proper powder than test a theory that could potentially harm the firearm. Just my 2c

On a side note are you trimming your .223/5.56 brass down if so how? I have been saving my brass since I built my 300aac and want to start loading some once fired rounds in 300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    I would not think about using w231 in a 300BO. For supers, I use W296/H110 and 300MP. I have tried LilGun and did not like it.....if you try it be mindful that it is not cold temp friendly....as in gets unstable/erratic. CFE Blackout is optimized for subsonic....

As for as cutting down brass to form into 300BO, its not hard at all. I use a Harbor Freight mini chop saw with a jig off of ebay. Once you get going, you can cut the brass where it will come out after forming the neck at a length where you don't have to further trim them! It is a fun cartridge to load for and shoot!

Be aware, that some 223 brass is too thick to convert to 300BO, there is a list on 300blktalk.com of good and bad brass. The brass in the formed case mouth needs to be .012 if I remember correctly. If you use brass that is too thick, they won't chamber.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I would not think about using w231 in a 300BO. For supers, I use W296/H110 and 300MP. I have tried LilGun and did not like it.....if you try it be mindful that it is not cold temp friendly....as in gets unstable/erratic. CFE Blackout is optimized for subsonic....

As for as cutting down brass to form into 300BO, its not hard at all. I use a Harbor Freight mini chop saw with a jig off of ebay. Once you get going, you can cut the brass where it will come out after forming the neck at a length where you don't have to further trim them! It is a fun cartridge to load for and shoot!

Be aware, that some 223 brass is too thick to convert to 300BO, there is a list on 300blktalk.com of good and bad brass. The brass in the formed case mouth needs to be .012 if I remember correctly. If you use brass that is too thick, they won't chamber.

True that on the necks!!! I only use LC,Never have a problem with the neck thickness.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Winchester 231 is way too fast to be used for the 300 BO. There’s a good reason this companies spend so much time making reloading manuals. They are attempting give you the best information out there. The .300 cartridge uses the same powder as large caliber handguns, such as .44 & .45’s. Reloading powders have different burn rates and this rate determines what they can be used for.
    Get a good reloading manual and follow their recipes. Or look on the web sites of the powder manufacturer for their information.

Beauxdog

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I use only WW296 / H 110 or LilGun. That is what most use. As they are the go to powders.

Top Bottom