Benchmade Cuts up Guns

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Ok I have to ask. Those of you who own these knives what does a $200 of $400 knife do better than any $50 Gerber, Kershaw, or similar knife? Don’t get me wrong a good piece of stainless that will keep an edge through several animal hides or whatever you are cutting is important but usually $50 will get you that.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Ok I have to ask. Those of you who own these knives what does a $200 of $400 knife do better than any $50 Gerber, Kershaw, or similar knife? Don’t get me wrong a good piece of stainless that will keep an edge through several animal hides or whatever you are cutting is important but usually $50 will get you that.

Don't buy them new...

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Ok I have to ask. Those of you who own these knives what does a $200 of $400 knife do better than any $50 Gerber, Kershaw, or similar knife?

I ask the same question about Rolex, Tag, Patek, etc. watches. Do they keep better time than my $100 Armitron?

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Never bought them new either... always used/like new at a fraction of the cost... and I don’t get into the $400 ones... usually all mine are around $150ish new... usually pay $75 for them or so, all I can say about them is they are very smooth opening and closing for along time.. without any maintenance, all my kershaws,buck, gerbers ect need to be taken apart and cleaned and oiled to keep them opening smooth. Also the edge last a LOT longer.. guess you paying for the quality of steel

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I can tell you I have some nice gerber and buck skinning knives that have cost almost $100 and my 950 rift will outlast them both skinning hogs and deer and still don't need to be re sharpened

these are my favorites though

utility all around shop/hunting/skinning
    https://www.benchmade.com/950.html

nice/dress up
    https://www.benchmade.com/940-2.html

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      219.9 KB · Views: 142
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      213 KB · Views: 143
    Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    im sure somebody will come along and ask what makes your $100 armitron better than the $20 Walmart "g-shock" copy:rofl:... I guess its all about your "hobby" and what you wanna spend

I ask the same question about Rolex, Tag, Patek, etc. watches. Do they keep better time than my $100 Armitron?

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Whether it keeps better time is moot, since I can buy a $5 quartz watch that will keep as good time as your $100 Armatron (and in truth, both will keep better time than my Rolex, in terms of day-to-day accuracy). That said ...

My Rolex is 22 years old. It goes in the shower with me every morning and comes out sparking like a brand new watch (and it's good underwater to a depth of about a hundred yards, so going swimming in the ocean or a lake is never a concern). Because it's made of surgical-quality stainless steel, I don't have to worry about microscopically-thin platings wearing off of a metal injected moulded watch case. It winds itself from the movements of my arm so I don't have to worry about changing or charging batteries. Because it doesn't have an internal computer, I never have to worry about firmware upgrades. Because it doesn't network with anything, I don't have to worry about my watch getting hacked, nor do I have to wonder where the biometric data that it gathers is being sent.

Because it's a classic design that has been around since the 1940's, I don't have to worry about it going in and out of style; it looks great with a tuxedo, a business suit, or ripped jeans and a T-shirt. In three years there won't really be a temptation to upgrade to the newest Rolex, because the newest Rolex is largely unchanged from the Rolex of 20, 40 or even 60 years ago.

From an economic standpoint, I could sell it today and get more for it than it cost new 22 years ago, because there's always a market that's willing to pay for quality and longevity.

And heck, maybe your Armatron is still a better investment. At $100, you could replace it every year for the next 50 years before you'd break even on the cost of a stainless steel Rolex. But in 50 years I'll still have an heirloom-grade watch that's worth a few thousand dollars, and you'll have a drawer full of broken Armatrons. :-)

So it goes with watches, and so it goes with knives.

Mike

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I wish Rolex would make a cell phone. I didn’t think people even wore watches anymore.

A decent mechanical wristwatch can do a lot of things in a SHTF scenario. IMHO it should be included in every bug-out bag (along, of course, with the knowledge of how to use it for navigation and such).

Mike

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    I've started a saved search on eBay for Benchmade knives to see how many get listed from people trying to get rid of them. Right now it's at 2351.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Bingo!
    They’re a status symbol. No more, no less. I own a nice Benchmade I received as a gift and I’ll always treasure it, but I’d never have bought it for myself.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Now let's take a closer look at something else - let's peek in on what politicians they support:
    Senate Ron Wyden (D-OR) $12,900
    House Kurt Schrader (D-OR) $11,900
    Senate Mark Udall (D-CO) $5,200
    Senate Martin Heinrich (D-NM) $2,700
    Senate Scott Brown (R-MA) $1,000
    House Robert Cornilles (R-OR) $1,000
    House Greg Walden (R-OR) $1,000
    House Scott Bruun (R-OR) $500
    Senate Jeff Merkley (D-OR) $500

Pulled this off another site?

Forum statistics

Threads