Knock'er Loose for cleaning?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgibso6

Ryan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Lafayette
    I used a little bit of knocker loose to clean my stainless revolver. It seemed to break up the fouling on the front of the cylinder like nobody's business. Do any of you have any thoughts on using this as a gun cleaning solvent?

Before you make fun of me- it was handy and I had my cleaning kit minus my Hoppe's solvent and Ballistol. I figured I'd try it out.

If you're not familiar with knocker loose, it's a penetrating solvent used in oilfield shops to loosen bolts that have seized up and stuff like that. The main issue I can foresee is that this stuff will gum up when it dries, similar to WD-40, maybe a little worse. Fear not, I'm leaving it with a coat of oil inside and out.

My usual cleaning routine after every time I shoot is to swab everything with Hoppe's 9 first, run my brushes through the bore and cylinder, wipe it down and swab that out. Next I swab everything with Ballistol, run my brushes, wipe it down, and then run patches until the bore and cylinder are dry.

The Hoppe's is my solvent and the Ballistol stays on as a lubricant and protectant. It's time consuming to say the least. The knocker loose does a far better job removing the carbon fouling. I'm really particular about getting the carbon off, so I like what the knocker loose does.

What are your thoughts?

rgibso6

Ryan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Lafayette
    I haven't tried liquid wrench, I only used knocker loose because we have it on hand. I assume they're similar enough to substitute one for the other.

Knocker loose comes in an aerosol can. There may be other containers, not sure.

Like I stated before, it cut clean through the fouling on the cylinder. I like it.

dwhaley929

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Baton Rouge LA
    Everything I've tried is VERY time consuming. I figured there had to be something out there that would cut through that gunk without a lot of fuss. I'm going to try knocker loose. Anyone know where it might be available around BR.

Now, knocker up, that's a whole other story.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I just wanna say..... this thread is full of win!

My Mrs might run things in the kitchen, but if she ever tries to clean my guns I will knock’er a few degrees past loose.

If you find a gun starting to break out with light surface rust, try PB Blaster. Spray it down and let it sit wet overnight. Spray a cloth with Blaster and wipe the gun down the next day and Apply oil. Almost zero bluing loss in most cases.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    When I cleaned my dads home after he passed I found a half gallon of Hoppes #9.
    And I have 2 quarts of Ben's Red Lube I made up from Royal Purple and Dextron II
    Cans of brake free and CLP One day someone will find a stash of my old cleaners and oils when I die.
    I have 2 Quarts of Green Mil-Surplus White Oil that says small weapons on it.
    I have a lifetime supply.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I found this stuff called Nuts Off! At the shop I'm forever getting my Nuts Off on this and that. I'll get my Nuts Off all over stuff on the car, on guns, anything stuck. I'll have to find the Knocker Loose for when get my Nuts Off. That combo WOOWEEE

rgibso6

Ryan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Lafayette
    Y'all are too much!

Anyway, knocker loose is nothing more than a liquid penetrating solvent. Liquid wrench, nuts off, and what have you will probably all do the same thing.

Having said that, it really cuts through the funk on the cylinder face. I recommend lubricating with an oil like CLP or RemOil afterwards to prevent gumming. I have Ballistol on hand that seems to work well enough as an after treatment.

I'm shooting a big match next weekend, 300+ rounds, so I'll have more to report then.

- - - Updated - - -

Y'all are too much!

Anyway, knocker loose is nothing more than a liquid penetrating solvent. Liquid wrench, nuts off, and what have you will probably all do the same thing.

Having said that, it really cuts through the funk on the cylinder face. I recommend lubricating with an oil like CLP or RemOil afterwards to prevent gumming. I have Ballistol on hand that seems to work well enough as an after treatment.

I'm shooting a big match next weekend, 300+ rounds, so I'll have more to report then.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I found this stuff called Nuts Off! At the shop I'm forever getting my Nuts Off on this and that. I'll get my Nuts Off all over stuff on the car, on guns, anything stuck. I'll have to find the Knocker Loose for when get my Nuts Off. That combo WOOWEEE

Just combine the two. Knocker loose with nuts off.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I would pass on the Rem Oil rgibso6.

rgibso6

Ryan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Lafayette
    I shot the Henry's Cup the other weekend, so I figure I had about 400+ rounds through my revolver with some pretty dirty powder. This is a stainless steel, satin finish or something like that, definitely not a bright and shiny polish. It was the dirtiest it's ever been.

To really compare knocker loose to Hoppe's 9 (bore cleaner or lead and copper solvent): I put some Hoppe's on one part of the cylinder face, let it sit for 5 minutes and then scrubbed it with a brass brush. I repeated the process with knocker loose.

The knocker loose did perform better, but not enough to go out and buy some. It's not that expensive, but going out to find some, or something similar, could be a hassle. I could see it being the go-to cleaner for when I break down my revolver and have the ability to clean the residual knocker loose from all the cracks and crevices, but not for a general cleaning.

The pros-
    Strong solvent
    Doesn't seem to be harmful to a stainless wheelgun
    Doesn't evaporate very fast

The cons-
    Can leave a gummy residue
    There may be more

I hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member