Old Tree Stump

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rdm227

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Prairieville
    I recently acquired this old tree stump that was cut from my grandpas yard many years ago. It was a tree that we had a family swing in and all of the kids climbed in a lot.

It is something that is part of my memories growing up at his house and I’d love to preserve it the best that I can. Maybe put it in a man cave one day.

I’ve already blown out the crud with an air compressor and plan on staining or polyurethaning it at some point.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to best preserve it?

d749614e3ff9889a6e0fa9d09f03de09.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigsk

Iconoclast
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    There are several ways to go about preserving your stump. If you are worried about it cracking and splitting, soak it in pentacryl and let dry. Then apply a preservative/coating on it.

Penetrative wood treatments soak into the wood and protect from within. They are predominantly oil and wax based. By penetrating then drying in the surface grain of the timber there is a tough, durable, weather resistant surface.

Easy to apply and maintain, just a matter re-applying a fresh coat when it begins to look old. No need to sand, strip back or remove the old finish. Brands that specialize in exterior wood finishing products include Osmo, Ronseal, Barrettine, Cuprinol and Holzol.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I recently acquired this old tree stump that was cut from my grandpas yard many years ago. It was a tree that we had a family swing in and all of the kids climbed in a lot.

It is something that is part of my memories growing up at his house and I’d love to preserve it the best that I can. Maybe put it in a man cave one day.

I’ve already blown out the crud with an air compressor and plan on staining or polyurethaning it at some point.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to best preserve it?

d749614e3ff9889a6e0fa9d09f03de09.jpg

Cedar?

rdm227

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Prairieville
    There are several ways to go about preserving your stump. If you are worried about it cracking and splitting, soak it in pentacryl and let dry. Then apply a preservative/coating on it.

Penetrative wood treatments soak into the wood and protect from within. They are predominantly oil and wax based. By penetrating then drying in the surface grain of the timber there is a tough, durable, weather resistant surface.

Easy to apply and maintain, just a matter re-applying a fresh coat when it begins to look old. No need to sand, strip back or remove the old finish. Brands that specialize in exterior wood finishing products include Osmo, Ronseal, Barrettine, Cuprinol and Holzol.

It seems like Pentacryl is pretty expensive from what I found online. Do you know of a certain place that is more affordable than another? It would take quite a bit to have enough to soak a piece of wood that large.

I will look at the brands that you mentioned.

Thank you for the guidance

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Do you have any pictures of the tree when it was alive? I’d love to be able to find out what it was. Great story and great score none the less. I don’t know anything about any of the products that the gentlemen mentioned above, but it looks dry enough that if you keep it in a controlled environment it will last your lifetime for sure. Look on you tube. They will have more videos about this than you can look at.

rdm227

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Prairieville
    Do you have any pictures of the tree when it was alive? I’d love to be able to find out what it was. Great story and great score none the less. I don’t know anything about any of the products that the gentlemen mentioned above, but it looks dry enough that if you keep it in a controlled environment it will last your lifetime for sure. Look on you tube. They will have more videos about this than you can look at.

I might have some old pictures somewhere. Might take a while to find though.

rdm227

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Prairieville
    52cf48ba50de12dfca032e094877358a.jpg

Was able to find this picture. This was in 1980 and the tree was around at least 8-10 years after that.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Linseed is good to mix into certain coatings but really doesn’t dry well. Ive seen it used alone on bare wood and it stayed gummy indefinitely for some reason. Tung oil is what you see in most fine furniture and hardwood gunstocks.

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Here is a couple of tables I’ve built out of a cedar tree trunk. Both are finished with tung oil.

Attachments

• 5766AFD8-3181-4F6B-89CB-B78158A42A8B.jpg
      5766AFD8-3181-4F6B-89CB-B78158A42A8B.jpg
      236.2 KB · Views: 115
    • 6419F8FD-4B7C-4D97-9CBB-0465FC9C2E1A.jpg
      6419F8FD-4B7C-4D97-9CBB-0465FC9C2E1A.jpg
      205 KB · Views: 114

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Here is a couple of tables I’ve built out of a cedar tree trunk. Both are finished with tung oil.

Nice!

I have several old Cedar trees at my other place,However my fear of my Grandmother raising out of her grave to haunt me re-frames me from touching them...Fin

- - - Updated - - -

Nice!

I have several old Cedar trees at my other place,However my fear of my Grandmother raising out of her grave to haunt me re-frames me from touching them...Fin

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom