6.5 grendel

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dishdog1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2016
    Keithville, la.
    Putting together a 6.5 grendel rifle lengh and am new at building. Was wondering if buffer springs came in different "weights" and if they do would a grendel need a heavier spring than a 5.56. Are there kits available for specific calibers?

Thanks

Last edited:

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    The Grendel is frequently overgassed, you might want to include an adjustable gas block in your design. I just added a Tubb carrier weight to mine. I'm just North of Bossier City so PM me if you want to get together and compare notes.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    The Grendel is frequently overgassed, you might want to include an adjustable gas block in your design. I just added a Tubb carrier weight to mine. I'm just North of Bossier City so PM me if you want to get together and compare notes.

Thats good advice. If you are building a gun it’s a no brainer, do it.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    When I bought the Odin 6.5 Grendel barrel it came with an adj gas block. I have yet to fire it, but have spent some time with adj gas blocks and do believe that they are the way to go when building an ar, any caliber. The superlative click adjust block is my favorite so far.

I was planning on using a rifle length buffer (a1-a2) with a fixed stock (magpul moe) on my Grendel build but I just picked up a strike industries fixed stock that is designed to be used with a carbine buffer tube. So I plan to start with a regular 3oz buffer and a flat wire spring. I will tune the gas block with the lightest buffer, as I have found the lighter reciprocating internals to make for more pleasant shooting.

SavantGunworks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Montezuma, Iowa
    Save the headache of tuning buffers and springs. Get an adjustable gas block and tune that for a standard buffer and spring. Different grendel barrels are drilled differently. There are no gas port standards for those barrels so dwell times will be different. For example, I have two 18" Grendel barrels, one port measures .0765 and the other measures .0965. Both are premium barrels. (Dwell time is the amount of time gas is acting on the operating system, you will hear a novice refer to it as the time the bullet passes the gas port to the time it exits the muzzle but that is a simple explanation and there is much more to it than that). For what its worth, this is what we teach when I travel to gunsmith schools and assist in instructing AR15 classes there. If you need any technical data or advise please feel free to ask. Good luck with your build!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom