Experience Selling On Consignment Through Local Gun Shop?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I dont have any experience with selling personal items on consignment, but I do buy used guns for GGWs inventory.

You should keep in mind that anything you put on consignment will get finger banged. It has the possibility of getting scratched, handled, dropped etc by customers. Also should you decide to pick up/ take a gun off of consignment you will have to fill out a 4473.

I try to explain this to every customer looking to unload a gun that inquires about consignment. With that being said I think its favorable for both parties to sell outright majority of the time if possible.

Last edited:

Mrlucky353

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    New Orleans LA
    You should keep in mind that anything you put on consignment will get finger banged. It has the possibility of getting scratched, handled, dropped etc by customers. Also should you decide to pick up/ take a gun off of consignment you will have to fill out a 4473.

I try to explain this to every customer looking to unload a gun that inquires about consignment. With that being said I think its favorable for both parties to sell outright majority of the time if possible.

Thanks everyone, good info.

Consignment is appealing because I'm not good at haggling.
    When someone makes an offer, my usual reaction is:
    "If that's all I can get for it, I'd rather keep it!" Lol

I might try selling one on consignment and see how it works out.

Much appreciated.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

Much appreciated.

There's still going to be some haggling + you need to pay the gun-shop something.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I dont have any experience with selling personal items on consignment, but I do buy used guns for GGWs inventory.

Hang-on,The 4473 form? Is this because the gun shop has to log in the gun as inventory?

moe24

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

Much appreciated.
    I hear ya...someone just offered me $300 for a $800 gun..its frustrating

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Yep. Its gotta go in the book and get logged out. That requires a 4473 always.

Hang on again,Now if the customer filled out a 4473 10 years ago and in the meantime he slapped his old lady around and now has a restraining order How will he get them back from your shop because in theory he's ineligible to pass the background check?

Will the guns now be in limbo?

Or does he forfeit?

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Hang on again,Now if the customer filled out a 4473 10 years ago and in the meantime he slapped his old lady around and now has a restraining order How will he get them back from your shop because in theory he's ineligible to pass the background check?

Will the guns now be in limbo?

Or does he forfeit?

So if you return the gun to the *same person* that dropped it off you do a 4473? Is that the law or y’all’s policy?

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/how-does-licensee-handle-sale-consignment-firearm

"Firearms received for sale on consignment must be entered in the licensee’s acquisition and disposition record. The sale of a consignment firearm is handled in the same manner as other firearm sales.

Return of any consigned firearms by the licensee to the consignor must be entered in the licensee’s disposition record. An ATF Form 4473 and a NICS check must be completed prior to the return of such firearms.

[18 U.S.C. 923(g); 27 CFR 478.122, 478.123, 478.124 and 478.125]"

Same rules apply as buying a new one that they never owned before.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/how-does-licensee-handle-sale-consignment-firearm

"Firearms received for sale on consignment must be entered in the licensee’s acquisition and disposition record. The sale of a consignment firearm is handled in the same manner as other firearm sales.

Return of any consigned firearms by the licensee to the consignor must be entered in the licensee’s disposition record. An ATF Form 4473 and a NICS check must be completed prior to the return of such firearms.

Well damn it,Its a double standard/background check,No wonder people should fight to keep gunsales private!

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Well damn it,Its a double standard/background check,No wonder people should fight to keep gunsales private!

Yep

To the OP, put it up for sale on the forum, say the price is firm. List any other requirements and let it ride. See what happens. I have never been horribly low balled, and if I do get an offer that is lower than I like I counter politely. Not bad selling here, I have enjoyed meeting the other members and making friends and deals!

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA

That’s dumb. I lose interest in my guns everyday and have been thinking about putting them on consignment somewhere. After seeing this I may just go dump them at cabela's. There’s no way I’m doing another 4473 on guns I’ve already done a 4473 on!

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    That’s dumb. I lose interest in my guns everyday and have been thinking about putting them on consignment somewhere. After seeing this I may just go dump them at cabela's. There’s no way I’m doing another 4473 on guns I’ve already done a 4473 on!
    Be prepared to get .35 on the dollar for them

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom