The House Passed a New Handgun Bill.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    A few more thoughts about this.

One of the things that the news media and Democrats have done an exception job of (but Republicans are quickly catching the disease too) is the idea that WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!!!! ANYTHING!!!!

And the evidence for this is pretty clear. So-and-so sends a tweet and it's front page news. News headlines are full of "so-and-so blasts so-and-so ...". The time for thoughtful discourse never arrives because everyone is immediately busy screaming and shouting "WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!", and hyper-reactivity takes over. That, combined with stupid rhetoric like "make America great again" is a recipe for complete and utter calamity.

The border wall is a great example. As an immigrant I probably know more about the process of actually immigrating than 99% of the people screaming for a border wall (many of whom probably don't even have a passport). Which is not to say that it isn't a problem (because illegal immigration is), but thoughtful analysis of the situation suggests that there are other solutions that will be far more effective. And aside from the immediate question of illegal immigration, I'd challenge anyone to show me how clear the path is to lawful immigration. When my ex and I went through it almost 20 years ago, it was an impassable hurdle of various disjointed bureaucracies, ever-changing rules (many of which don't coordinate well with other rules from other agencies), unhelpful people at the various agencies that can dispense no meaningful information, and a phalanx of immigration attorneys that don't even agree with each other on how to correctly apply the law. If it was that hard for two college educated people who speak English as their first language, I can't imagine what it's like for someone that doesn't have those things.

(And before someone asks ... I'm a lawful citizen, and I take my citizenship seriously. I vote in every election, I pay my taxes with unfailing honesty, and I give back to my community. I stand up for the Constitution and the law even when it makes me unpopular. As do many immigrants.)

This same hyper-reactivity infests our gun politics right now. WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!!! is the shrill cry of every Democrat, all lining up with model legislation from Michael Bloomberg's collection of anti-gun groups. And honestly, conservatives are doing a terrible job of countering that. MAGA and the Trump war against reality means that the rhetoric has been reduced to a bunch of third graders arguing in a sandbox.

There are thoughtful and intelligent arguments to be made to protect gun rights, but people who claim to support gun rights have to stop acting like Trump and his ilk. Trump is already losing the battle, and anyone that thinks otherwise has a little too much cognitive dissonance between their ears to be reasoned with.

Mike

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Let’s call this as it is: STUPID STUPID STUPID. Drug dealers don’t use background checks. Burglars don’t use background checks. Mass shooters don’t care about background checks and would just shoot the checker anyway.

Even if people could not get guns, they would use something else. In Britain the stabbing rate has gone up. A British judge decreed that all knives had to have the points rounded unless the owner was a “chef or a fish-monger.” Applications for chefs and fish-mongers are on the rise.

If mass casualty perpetrators begin using fire, perhaps the crazies will outlaw matches and Bic lighters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville

One of the things that the news media and Democrats have done an exception job of (but Republicans are quickly catching the disease too) is the idea that WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!!!! ANYTHING!!!!

And the evidence for this is pretty clear. So-and-so sends a tweet and it's front page news. News headlines are full of "so-and-so blasts so-and-so ...". The time for thoughtful discourse never arrives because everyone is immediately busy screaming and shouting "WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!", and hyper-reactivity takes over. That, combined with stupid rhetoric like "make America great again" is a recipe for complete and utter calamity.

The border wall is a great example. As an immigrant I probably know more about the process of actually immigrating than 99% of the people screaming for a border wall (many of whom probably don't even have a passport). Which is not to say that it isn't a problem (because illegal immigration is), but thoughtful analysis of the situation suggests that there are other solutions that will be far more effective. And aside from the immediate question of illegal immigration, I'd challenge anyone to show me how clear the path is to lawful immigration. When my ex and I went through it almost 20 years ago, it was an impassable hurdle of various disjointed bureaucracies, ever-changing rules (many of which don't coordinate well with other rules from other agencies), unhelpful people at the various agencies that can dispense no meaningful information, and a phalanx of immigration attorneys that don't even agree with each other on how to correctly apply the law. If it was that hard for two college educated people who speak English as their first language, I can't imagine what it's like for someone that doesn't have those things.

(And before someone asks ... I'm a lawful citizen, and I take my citizenship seriously. I vote in every election, I pay my taxes with unfailing honesty, and I give back to my community. I stand up for the Constitution and the law even when it makes me unpopular. As do many immigrants.)

This same hyper-reactivity infests our gun politics right now. WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!!! is the shrill cry of every Democrat, all lining up with model legislation from Michael Bloomberg's collection of anti-gun groups. And honestly, conservatives are doing a terrible job of countering that. MAGA and the Trump war against reality means that the rhetoric has been reduced to a bunch of third graders arguing in a sandbox.

There are thoughtful and intelligent arguments to be made to protect gun rights, but people who claim to support gun rights have to stop acting like Trump and his ilk. Trump is already losing the battle, and anyone that thinks otherwise has a little too much cognitive dissonance between their ears to be reasoned with.

Mike

The border wall is a great idea, and if you think it is all about illegal immigration you really must be as naive as you sound. The physical barrier is to stop the inflow of drugs, and human, and sex trafficking that is coming into this country. If you don't believe that is a problem, then you are the problem. For many years now Mexico has been a conduit for drugs coming into this country. a physical barrier to this will give us an added tool to combat the inflow of dangerous drugs, and will hugely cut down on the amount of human trafficking. If you know so much, then stop drinking the media kool-aid, and open your eyes. You must be drinking the media kool-aid, because you are regurgitating it here.

Please tell me what thoughtful argument has been made on the Dems outright attacks on our gun rights?

Last edited:

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Can someone tell me how many amendments end with, *Shall not be infringed*? I think the answer is none with the exception of the second. I would have to say the founding fathers knew it was the only amendment that was important enough to Include that language. If it falls, which it is leaning we have no chance of true feeedom. Let’s not tear ourselves apart. The left is banking on that happening.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Can someone tell me how many amendments end with, *Shall not be infringed*? I think the answer is none with the exception of the second. I would have to say the founding fathers knew it was the only amendment that was important enough to Include that language. If it falls, which it is leaning we have no chance of true feeedom. Let’s not tear ourselves apart. The left is banking on that happening.

We don't need the 2nd amendment to begin with.

BadEye

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2016
    Metairie, LA
    The Senate has not yet voted on any anti-gun bill and IF they do the President still has the power to VETO. If any of you haven't already, NOW is the time to contact your Senators and remind them
    that you elected them and they work for you, and ask them to vote against these bills. If you are an NRA member (if you are not, you ought-ta be) it is SO easy to login to the website, or from the email you received from them, go to send a message to your elected officials. All you have to do is fill in your name, address, etc and click send and an NRA message will automatically be sent to YOUR Senators, (Congressmen, Mayors or whoever is applicable to the particular issue). Even if you do not know who they are, the NRA does by your member ID info.
    You will also find addresses and phone numbers of your representatives if you would prefer to write your own letter or call in person to ask them to vote against this and any anti gun legislation that comes up in the future. It can't hurt to remind them that you voted for them last time but you are watching how they vote on gun issues before their next election.
    So far Louisiana Senators John Kennedy and William Cassidy have been 100% pro-gun as has my district 1 Congressman Steve Scalice.
    AND we need to do whatever we can to make sure that the Republican Congressmen that voted
    with the Democrats on this horribly flawed anti-gun legislation be run out of office and never again
    be reelected or elected/appointed to any position imaginable.

frhunter13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2018
    New Orleans
    No You cant lend it

I didn't read it. Can I loan a handgun to a non-family member?

According to this BS Bill, you cannot lend your gun to ANYONE for ANY reason, even hunting. You MUST be in control of the gun AT ALL TIMES. You can gift it to a family member though. If you die before you do? They go to the state.

If Trump signs this after the senate agrees to it, gun registry and confiscation will follow. Before that, Civil War may not be so far fetched, and many states might secede. I really don't see the Senate passing this, or the President signing it though. So we are ok for two years at least.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    Can someone post the HB #?

IIRC when I read it, if what I read was this one, there are a few exceptions. One being for LEO, one for gifting, and one for "purpose of self defense or hunting".

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    It is not this particular law that makes this so bad, but the fact that absent a national registry this is unenforceable. Unless you sell a gun to an agent, or whoever buys your gun turns you in, in which case they will implicate them selves as well. So this sets a bad precedent for what is going to follow.

Jadams74

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2019
    Ponchatoula, Louisiana
    The federal government has already violated the 2nd amendment when they made the first gun control laws in 1934. The purpose of the 2nd amendment is to guarantee that the people can protect themselves from threats, both foreign and domestic. This includes a tyrannical government that would take away our other rights and even our lives. They've fallen short of upholding the people's constitutional rights!

Jadams74

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2019
    Ponchatoula, Louisiana
    They don't enforce the unconstitutional gun control laws we have now, what makes them think that they would be able to enforce this one? It passed the house, but hopefully it will get killed in the senate, if not hopefully SCOTUS will rule it unconstitutional.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    They don't enforce the unconstitutional gun control laws we have now, what makes them think that they would be able to enforce this one? It passed the house, but hopefully it will get killed in the senate, if not hopefully SCOTUS will rule it unconstitutional.

It will never come up for a vote in the Senate. The house leadership knew it when the voted for it. It was a stunt to raise money for the next election cycle. But don’t count on a 2A friendly SCOTUS, it has been proven time and again to not support the second amendment’s real purpose and just recently refused to hear the case on bump stocks which affects both private property rights and the 2A.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado

Mike

:bowdown:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Mike

Comparing the border wall with gun control is comparing apples to oranges. The border wall is not a one-size-fits-all solution. The wall, in and of itself, will not fix all of the issues. But it is one brick in a larger wall. A physical barrier and technology and human presence can all work together to make a difference. And the wall negatively affects those who are looking to accomplish something that is currently illegal while not negatively affecting law abiding citizens.

Gun control, on the other hand, largely negatively affects law abiding citizens while having little negative affect on those looking to accomplish something that is currently illegal.

So the "doing something now" mindset works when almost all of those negatively affected are breaking the law but doesn't work when almost all those negatively affected are law abiding citizens. When trying to say a "we have to do something" attitude is not a good thing, using the border wall is a bad example.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom