The House Passed a New Handgun Bill.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    February 27, 2019
    Source: Associated Press
    By: Associated Press
    Share:

WASHINGTON (AP) - The House has approved a measure requiring federal background checks for all firearms sales and transfers, the first major gun control legislation considered by Congress in nearly 25 years.

The bill was approved Wednesday, 240-190. Democrats call the vote a major step to end the gun lobby's grip on Washington and begin to address an epidemic of gun violence, including 17 people killed at a Florida high school last year.

The bill is the first of two Democrats are bringing to the House floor this week as part of an effort to tighten gun laws following eight years of Republican control. The other bill would extend the review period for a background check.

Both bills face dim prospects in the Republican-controlled Senate and veto threats from President Donald Trump.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    As is stands, it is unenforcible for all firearms purchased from a retail store before the date the law would take effect because the government would likely be unable to prove when a private transfer took place. The only was to combat that is implement what I believe is the true desire of the people who wrote the bill. a national gun registry.

NerfDildo™

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2019
    Nationwide Constitutional Carry.
    Repeal Hughes
    Repeal GCA
    Repeal NFA

I don't wanna hear anything outta DC about guns but any or all of those things.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Them sumbitches are crazy with power up there....Tick..Tock..Tick..Tock
    You said it Gator. Relentless too.
    Is there any doubt in anyone’s mind here that they want us disarmed or why they want us all disarmed?

Last edited:

Nathan Hale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Louisiana
    Yes, this was H.R. 8 (see earlier thread.) Criminalizes any transfer without prior government approval (no giving a gun to a family member without first a background check.) In order for this to be implemented it would require registration of all firearms in current hands so that the federal government could tell when a transfer took place without a prior background check.

Most Americans are too stupid to see the implications of this bill.

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    Yes, this was H.R. 8 (see earlier thread.) Criminalizes any transfer without prior government approval (no giving a gun to a family member without first a background check.) In order for this to be implemented it would require registration of all firearms in current hands so that the federal government could tell when a transfer took place without a prior background check.

Most Americans are too stupid to see the implications of this bill.

Did you even read the bill before posting this? That statement is not true. There is language that you can gift a gun to family. This passed the house, but it is not law, it must now go to the Senate who will likely shoot it down, then must be signed by the President, who is likely to Veto it. I do believe this is the first step to a national gun registry, but I think we are still quite a ways away from that.

The only way this got through the house is it is very watered down from what you can bet the Dems actually wanted. It is actually quite limited in scope, but will set the tone for the left should they ever come to 2008 levels of power again. Oh and it is not just a handgun bill, it is an all gun bill.

Last edited:

Nathan Hale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Louisiana
    Did you even read the bill before posting this? That statement is not true. There is language that you can gift a gun to family. This passed the house, but it is not law, it must now go to the Senate who will likely shoot it down, then must be signed by the President, who is likely to Veto it. I do believe this is the first step to a national gun registry, but I think we are still quite a ways away from that.

The only way this got through the house is it is very watered down from what you can bet the Dems actually wanted. It is actually quite limited in scope, but will set the tone for the left should they ever come to 2008 levels of power again. Oh and it is not just a handgun bill, it is an all gun bill.

I did not read the version which finally passed the house yesterday. So if one can donate to a family member without a background check, then I stand corrected. Yes, it still has to pass the senate and be signed by the president; I did not indicate otherwise. I stand by my statement that most Americans are too stupid to understand the implications of this bill.

Based on your comment, I assume you have read the version which passed the house; does the bill define 'family member', is any other class of persons exempt?

This is how they intend to obtain national registration. Any exemptions that may exist in a bill which becomes law, will eventually go by the wayside. They hate guns so much, they won't be able to resist. One brick at a time.

Nathan Hale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Louisiana
    I guess Don Jr. Is not burning dad's ear like some said when he 1st got in.

+1

Has Trump ever indicated how he feels about this issue? I seem to recall hearing a news report, or comment, that he has indicated he might not have a problem with this (universal background checks); but, I could be confabulating.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

I didn't read it. Can I loan a handgun to a non-family member?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom