H.R. 1112 passes House

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The Dems are not going to stop until they start another Civil War. The next thing they will try is to have a background check for ammunition purchases.

Since California has already passed the ammo background checks, I’m inclined to agree. If a civil war does erupt, hopefully the first strike will be on Democrat headquarters...

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    The law enforcement in the communist anti second amendment states are already doing the dirty work. I have to shake my head when I hear * no local LE will ever enforce a unconditional law*. How many LE walked off the job and gave up their careers in Cali, New York, Mass, Illinois...etc?? I’m not bashing just looking at what is already happening and quickly spreading.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    The law enforcement in the communist anti second amendment states are already doing the dirty work. I have to shake my head when I hear * no local LE will ever enforce a unconditional law*. How many LE walked off the job and gave up their careers in Cali, New York, Mass, Illinois...etc?? I’m not bashing just looking at what is already happening and quickly spreading.

By the same token, Many sheriffs have been vocal about supporting the 2nd and will not enforce such nonsense.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Like I said I’m not bashing. I’m just looking at the fact that the states that have these laws have no shortage of LE willing to enforce them. I am aware of the sheriffs willing to stand up for the law abiding citizens that these crazy laws will hurt. Maybe a thread should be started that asks the LE community *where do you draw the line*? Example: a ban is passed on magazine. Anyone in possession of more than a 10 round magazine is now a felon. How many would turn the other way if the person has no record? Just wondering because it seems it’s only a matter of time before a full on assault of the second amendment will be in states that said, that would never happen here. Just a thought.

Coyote5.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2016
    Prairieville
    If you want to see the direction America is heading look at Europe. Venezuela is an extreme example but the one thing they have in common is the citizens were disarmed first. This leftist political agenda is slowly leaching it's way into America's culture. They control education, entertainment, and the media. Brainwashing takes time and requires generations to die off. Unless there is a hard reset to the right it will continue. The political pendulum keeps creeping left. If JFK were alive today I bet the democratic party would minimize him. He was white. He was heterosexual. He was Catholic, He was male. And he comes from privilege. All the things the left despise. My personal opinion is the left suffer from a cult like brain disorder.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you want to see the direction America is heading look at Europe. Venezuela is an extreme example but the one thing they have in common is the citizens were disarmed first. This leftist political agenda is slowly leaching it's way into America's culture. They control education, entertainment, and the media. Brainwashing takes time and requires generations to die off. Unless there is a hard reset to the right it will continue. The political pendulum keeps creeping left. If JFK were alive today I bet the democratic party would minimize him. He was white. He was heterosexual. He was Catholic, He was male. And he comes from privilege. All the things the left despise. My personal opinion is the left suffer from a cult like brain disorder.

Venezuela isn't part of Europe. It's in South America. And its poverty in Venezuela (and in Latin America in general) probably has more to do with to the 500+ years of European colonial rule that subjugated its people to slavery and all manner of atrocities -- many problems that still plague it today. And yes, nobody wants to have a leader like Maduro, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

And to Europe's credit, they do some things far better than we do. Education on the whole is far better in Europe than it is here, and quality education (which is arguably the single best things to help upward socioeconomic mobility) is far more accessible than it is in the United States. I'd argue that healthcare delivery isn't quite as good in Europe as it is here, but accessibility to healthcare is way better. And I say this as someone that grew up in a Commonwealth country (a non-European Commonwealth country, but more Europe-like in its social attitudes than the United States).

The left has indeed moved further to the left, but the right has also moved a lot further to the right. Both sides talk about issues in overly-simplistic binary terms that appeal to their blind adherents, and it makes people who see a health middle ground increasingly detached from these sorts of Rorschact purity tests.

Oh, JFK owned an M1 Garand, so he most certainly could not have been a card-carrying Democrat. :-)

Mike

Nathan Hale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Louisiana

+1

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    There are a lot of things that can be said here about the European comparisons. Venezuela was a prosperous country until a few years ago, and it's people were not at the level of poverty they are at now and have not been for some time. Europe has it's own set of problems, and to own a gun there, you have to be a member of a club, and you can't bring it home. their healthcare may or may not be better, people that can afford it come to America to have procedures done they would have to wait for in Europe. Their education system seems far better than ours, because theirs has been indoctrination for hundreds of years, ours only for about the last 60ish. AT one time education in the, US was strictly reading, writing, and arithmetic. Aside from that social engineering was left to the parents at home. Seeing as how we the people, with a little influence from the gov have diluted the role of a parent, and single parent home numbers have skyrocketed as of late, but no one seems to be drawing a correlation, we have been playing right into the man's hand. Wow what a run on sentence that was. They have robbed our education system, and handed it over to social justice warriors. People who care more about indoctrinating the minds of the youth, in the name of being open minded. I mean just look a the precedent that we the people are allowing to be set in our Government right now today. It is okay in today's society to be a sexual deviant, excuses are made for rapist, murderer's, drug addicts, women are allowed to abort their little babies growing inside them. Everyone has a problem, everyone is sick with something, everyone in today's society has an excuse. What no one has is a thread of morality, independence, or the fact that something may be their fault, and they may have to pay for their bad choices. What ever happened to being responsible for ones actions? Why do we not expect from our elected leaders more than we expect from ourselves, unless our expectation of ourselves is just that low? Why do we as a people not stand united with one voice, and do our job to direct our leadership, rather than follow like sheep, trying to hold onto what little significance we have left, until it is gone, and we have no choice but to fight for it? Civil War does not have to happen violently, it can be done peacefully right now, by a united people. The likelihood of it happening before violence is the only answer if we want to maintain any semblance of freedom is very slim, because unfortunately it is human nature to require some event to bring people together.

NerfDildo™

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2019
    RaleighReloader]The left has indeed moved further to the left, but the right has also moved a lot further to the right.

This is patently false. The Overton window of American politics has shifted universally left. Please allow me time to find the graphs I am currently looking for. American politics AS A WHOLE have shifted left. This includes the politics of those who have consistently considered themselves conservative. While the EXTREMES of those on the right have indeed shifted right, the baseline Democrat/Progressive/Left political spectrum has shifted massively left. So much so that the two sides share almost no common positions. The amount of polarization currently present in American politics is both deeper and broader of spectrum than those which led to the American civil war.

This is a scatterplot of the American electorate as self-identified in the weeks leading up to the 2016 general election.
    16-left-vs-right-chart-1.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.2x.png

The entire body politic has shifted left. Here's a .gif compiled of the evolution of American political medians over time. Even the median "consistently conservative" individual has moved left.
    giphy.gif

America on the whole has moved leftward away from values and ideals traditionally held to be American. I don't wish to get into a discussion for the reasons why at this particular moment, as it will almost assuredly turn into a flame war or other net-negative event and will wind up with no one will listening to anyone else. But if the trend isn't reversed, it's only a matter of time before NY style gun control comes to LA or TX. Or any of the other states I like to think of as "America."

EDIT:Still sifting through some online and personal documents to find the other stats. One was a Pew study, the other was AEI, if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    This is patently false. The Overton window of American politics has shifted universally left. Please allow me time to find the graphs I am currently looking for. American politics AS A WHOLE have shifted left. This includes the politics of those who have consistently considered themselves conservative. While the EXTREMES of those on the right have indeed shifted right, the baseline Democrat/Progressive/Left political spectrum has shifted massively left. So much so that the two sides share almost no common positions. The amount of polarization currently present in American politics is both deeper and broader of spectrum than those which led to the American civil war.

We're violently agreeing, and your Pew graph illustrates that nicely. I wasn't arguing about the Overton window in general; rather, that in the past few years both sides have moved further apart.

And you're right that the Overton window has moved to the left on many issues. We don't have slavery anymore (at least, not like we did in the Antebellum era). Women can enter into legal contracts and own property and vote now. The Civil Rights movement protects the same rights for visible minorities. Homosexuality isn't stigmatized nearly as much as it used to be, and we're making progress for transgendered people. In other words: people that aren't white Christian males are getting closer to having the same protections of the law. Some things are indeed marching left, and will likely continue to do so regardless of who is in power.

Keep in mind that all of these things used to be "values and ideals traditionally held to be American." Not everything from the past is good and worth hanging onto.

America on the whole has moved leftward away from values and ideals traditionally held to be American. I don't wish to get into a discussion for the reasons why at this particular moment, as it will almost assuredly turn into a flame war or other net-negative event and will wind up with no one will listening to anyone else. But if the trend isn't reversed, it's only a matter of time before NY style gun control comes to LA or TX. Or any of the other states I like to think of as "America."

I appreciate not wanting to start a flame war. I'm happy to discuss this in a civilized manner.

That said ... I think it's a fallacy to assume that because we aren't returning to the social politics that existed in the 19th century (or the Jim Crow era, or the postwar era, etc.), that our gun rights will somehow magically vaporize.

I think the reason is much simpler: somehow gun rights have gotten yoked to other "conservative" issues such as the anti-gay and anti-abortion movements. This actually has nothing to do with being "conservative" (which, IMHO, should have more to do with smaller government and fiscal restraint), and more to do with people trying to legislate their specific brand of morality under the auspices of things having been "better" in some fictitious earlier era. That was the genesis of the whole MAGA movement; the mythology that we (as a country) reached our cultural zenith in the 1950's and have since regressed.

My goal is for people to have freedom. IMHO, owning a gun is a personal decision that the government doesn't need to be involved in, and you shouldn't need a permission slip from the FBI or the local sheriff to exercise that right. Ditto for whether you choose to marry a woman or a man; as long as you're both consenting adults, that's your business and not mine or the government's. So on, and so forth.

This is why I can't in good conscience belong to either of the major parties. They both want to use the government's monopoly on violence to force us into their particular brand of morality. And it's also why I hate the terms "left" and "right," since politics is a lot more multidimensional.

Mike

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    We're violently agreeing, and your Pew graph illustrates that nicely. I wasn't arguing about the Overton window in general; rather, that in the past few years both sides have moved further apart.

And you're right that the Overton window has moved to the left on many issues. We don't have slavery anymore (at least, not like we did in the Antebellum era). Women can enter into legal contracts and own property and vote now. The Civil Rights movement protects the same rights for visible minorities. Homosexuality isn't stigmatized nearly as much as it used to be, and we're making progress for transgendered people. In other words: people that aren't white Christian males are getting closer to having the same protections of the law. Some things are indeed marching left, and will likely continue to do so regardless of who is in power.

Keep in mind that all of these things used to be "values and ideals traditionally held to be American." Not everything from the past is good and worth hanging onto.

I appreciate not wanting to start a flame war. I'm happy to discuss this in a civilized manner.

That said ... I think it's a fallacy to assume that because we aren't returning to the social politics that existed in the 19th century (or the Jim Crow era, or the postwar era, etc.), that our gun rights will somehow magically vaporize.

I think the reason is much simpler: somehow gun rights have gotten yoked to other "conservative" issues such as the anti-gay and anti-abortion movements. This actually has nothing to do with being "conservative" (which, IMHO, should have more to do with smaller government and fiscal restraint), and more to do with people trying to legislate their specific brand of morality under the auspices of things having been "better" in some fictitious earlier era. That was the genesis of the whole MAGA movement; the mythology that we (as a country) reached our cultural zenith in the 1950's and have since regressed.

My goal is for people to have freedom. IMHO, owning a gun is a personal decision that the government doesn't need to be involved in, and you shouldn't need a permission slip from the FBI or the local sheriff to exercise that right. Ditto for whether you choose to marry a woman or a man; as long as you're both consenting adults, that's your business and not mine or the government's. So on, and so forth.

This is why I can't in good conscience belong to either of the major parties. They both want to use the government's monopoly on violence to force us into their particular brand of morality. And it's also why I hate the terms "left" and "right," since politics is a lot more multidimensional.

Mike

Mike you have wondered off and you are conflating social and moral issues. You cannot compare the civil rights movement with the trans/poly/sis/confused-gender movement it’s not the same. And remember it was the Republican Party that pushed and made the sacrifices so that all racial makeups could be treated fairly under the law.

The truth about the fight for morality is the left doesn’t care about those social issues either they just want the nation to rely on the government for its morality. Instead of making sure people are free to believe what that want they want the people to trust the government to tell them what’s right. How did that work out for Soviet Russia and Nazi Germany? Our founders understood that only a moral people would be able to remain free.

I’m very much a live and let live kind of guy but the the civil rights movement and our first amendment have been coopped and used as weapons to create chaos and discourse, and have been turned around and used against those it was meant to protect. Bakers and ministers have been told they are required to violate their beliefs to comply with the governments idea of morality. Employees and employers have been told they can’t exercise the first amendment rights with threat of eeoc or civil consequences. What’s free about that?

I’ll remind you the first amendment offers protection of religions not from religions. It was written that way to protect the Quakers and other faith groups who were often looked upon as wierd.

I could go on for days but this is a gun board.

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Mike you have wondered off and you are conflating social and moral issues. You cannot compare the civil rights movement with the trans/poly/sis/confused-gender movement it’s not the same. And remember it was the Republican Party that pushed and made the sacrifices so that all racial makeups could be treated fairly under the law.

As you are undoubtedly aware, the Republican Party of yore is entirely different than the Republican Party of present. Ditto for the Democratic Party. And the Civil Rights movement is absolutely comparable to the LGBTQIA and gender identity movements. You may not like these movements, but they are about giving people equal protections under the law. There are limits to this (I'll discuss this more below), but I simply don't see the morality of, for instance, denying a gay couple the right to marry (insomuch as marriage is a civil institution).

The truth about the fight for morality is the left doesn’t care about those social issues either they just want the nation to rely on the government for its morality. Instead of making sure people are free to believe what that want they want the people to trust the government to tell them what’s right. How did that work out for Soviet Russia and Nazi Germany? Our founders understood that only a moral people would be able to remain free.

Actually, I agree with you. 100%. That's part of why I hate how "democratic socialism" has gotten yoked to other issues on the "left," just like gun rights has gotten yoked to other issues on the "right." I don't want to be yoked to the government any more than you do ... I just want people to be afforded the equal protection of the law.

I’m very much a live and let live kind of guy but the the civil rights movement and our first amendment have been coopped and used as weapons to create chaos and discourse, and have been turned around and used against those it was meant to protect. Bakers and ministers have been told they are required to violate their beliefs to comply with the governments idea of morality. Employees and employers have been told they can’t exercise the first amendment rights with threat of eeoc or civil consequences. What’s free about that?

Again, we agree. I'm arguing that gay people should be able to marry, just as straight people are allowed to, or that someone born with XY chromosomes should be able to self-identify as a female.

I'm not arguing that a baker should forced to bake a cake against his/her will. A private business has every right to choose its customers. It may be bad for business, but that's the business owner's decision to make.

I’ll remind you the first amendment offers protection of religions not from religions. It was written that way to protect the Quakers and other faith groups who were often looked upon as wierd.

I'm well aware of the history behind the First Amendment, and the protections for religious groups that it was meant to offer. I'm not sure why you're bringing it up, but I was never in disagreement with this.

Mike

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    As you are undoubtedly aware, the Republican Party of yore is entirely different than the Republican Party of present. Ditto for the Democratic Party. And the Civil Rights movement is absolutely comparable to the LGBTQIA and gender identity movements. You may not like these movements, but they are about giving people equal protections under the law. There are limits to this (I'll discuss this more below), but I simply don't see the morality of, for instance, denying a gay couple the right to marry (insomuch as marriage is a civil institution).

Actually, I agree with you. 100%. That's part of why I hate how "democratic socialism" has gotten yoked to other issues on the "left," just like gun rights has gotten yoked to other issues on the "right." I don't want to be yoked to the government any more than you do ... I just want people to be afforded the equal protection of the law.

Again, we agree. I'm arguing that gay people should be able to marry, just as straight people are allowed to, or that someone born with XY chromosomes should be able to self-identify as a female.

I'm not arguing that a baker should forced to bake a cake against his/her will. A private business has every right to choose its customers. It may be bad for business, but that's the business owner's decision to make.

I'm well aware of the history behind the First Amendment, and the protections for religious groups that it was meant to offer. I'm not sure why you're bringing it up, but I was never in disagreement with this.

Mike

I will respect your right to your opinions. I have some very strong beliefs about the LBGTQ... movement. None of which have anything to do with denying homosexuals some type of union.

The big dirty secret is the people used and exploited in these movements are the useful idiots Saul Alinsky talks about. They are often mixed up individuals and are rarely well adjusted functioning members of society. That’s not a knock a homosexuals. That’s a knock at people who intentionally make spectacles of themselves. Like the mixed up college kid who professed she was 20+ genders all at the same time. Gender isn’t fluid it’s biological that’s science. Sexual preference and preferring pantys to boxers has nothing to do with gender. I do not believe a man can be a woman trapped in a mans body. I do believe a man can feel that way. But when I get really hammered sometimes I feel 10 feet tall and bulletproof, and I pray someone with good sense doesn’t let me test that theory.

Additionally regardless of sexual orientation race or religion, we all have the same rights in theory, but now we have taken it a step further. We have given more rights to a select few groups. They have the right not to be offended and we have the responsibility to make sure they are never offended. That’s not freedom.

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    I will respect your right to your opinions. I have some very strong beliefs about the LBGTQ... movement. None of which have anything to do with denying homosexuals some type of union.

The big dirty secret is the people used and exploited in these movements are the useful idiots Saul Alinsky talks about. They are often mixed up individuals and are rarely well adjusted functioning members of society. That’s not a knock a homosexuals. That’s a knock at people who intentionally make spectacles of themselves. Like the mixed up college kid who professed she was 20+ genders all at the same time. Gender isn’t fluid it’s biological that’s science. Sexual preference and preferring pantys to boxers has nothing to do with gender. I do not believe a man can be a woman trapped in a mans body. I do believe a man can feel that way. But when I get really hammered sometimes I feel 10 feet tall and bulletproof, and I pray someone with good sense doesn’t let me test that theory.

Additionally regardless of sexual orientation race or religion, we all have the same rights in theory, but now we have taken it a step further. We have given more rights to a select few groups. They have the right not to be offended and we have the responsibility to make sure they are never offended. That’s not freedom.

I agree with this 110%. Everyone should be afforded certain protections under the law. I do not care that Gay people want to get married etc. What I care about are the rights of the people they are trampling in the name of social justice. There is a double standard in this country undeniably. Which is why healthy debate such as we are having here is good. We have further discussed opine's to the point that we have found common ground, and sound results could arise out of this discussion of sensible people. This is how our government is supposed to function, and is totally failing at, at this very moment. Which it is up to sensible people to make sure we get back to as a nation if we hold our Republic dear. The problem, is the sheep have gotten so used to feeding at the trough, they forgot how to graze, or do anything on their own. Our nation's people, are as polarized as our nation's leaders.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    RalieghReloader you stated the Republican party and Democratic party has changed (not exact quote ) one thing the Democrats have not Vered away from is holding black people hostage ,the Democrats "Negro population control " started my the woman Hilary admired so , is still going strong under name Planned parenthood . LBJ started the second plantation era with welfare , government housing for minorities and the Democrats are still trying to keep them on the plantation . People can make all the claims they want but the voting records show the Democrats want to strip our rights away from us . Anyone who believes this socialism loving gun grabbing Democratic party is something new and not the same as yore need only to look at FDRs record .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The big dirty secret is the people used and exploited in these movements are the useful idiots Saul Alinsky talks about. They are often mixed up individuals and are rarely well adjusted functioning members of society. That’s not a knock a homosexuals. That’s a knock at people who intentionally make spectacles of themselves.

I agree. I feel the same way about the YouTube "celebrity" open carry idiots that make a spectacle of themselves at the local WalMart (and I don't oppose open carry in the least). There are fringes in any group that give everyone a bad name. Thankfully, those highly visible idiots tend to be few and far between.

Gender isn’t fluid it’s biological that’s science.

The biology you're referring to is "assigned sex." Gender is much more complex than that. We (as a society) often conflate the two and have a strong proclivity to associate sex role stereotypes with a person's assigned sex, but it doesn't really make a lot of sense. Why should people be forced to act in a particular manner because they were born with XX or XY sex chromosomes?

Sexual preference and preferring pantys to boxers has nothing to do with gender.

That's sexuality, not gender.

I do not believe a man can be a woman trapped in a mans body. I do believe a man can feel that way. But when I get really hammered sometimes I feel 10 feet tall and bulletproof, and I pray someone with good sense doesn’t let me test that theory.

Your decision to consume alcohol is one you make willingly and (hopefully) with a rational mind. You know the consequences, and you (hopefully) surround yourself with people that won't let you do anything stupid. Which doesn't really have any bearing on someone exploring their gender identity ... whether they decide to do it because they're young and in college and prone to the latest Twitter fads, or because they're genuinely conflicted about how they want to express their gender ... what's the harm? And if "he" really wants to be called "she" ... doesn't matter in the least to me.

Again, we agree 100%. Weaponizing "offense" is an affront to free speech, and I'll support nothing of the sort. I do think it's better when we treat each other with respect, but that's not something I'd ever want to try to legislate.

RalieghReloader you stated the Republican party and Democratic party has changed (not exact quote ) one thing the Democrats have not Vered away from is holding black people hostage ,the Democrats "Negro population control " started my the woman Hilary admired so , is still going strong under name Planned parenthood .

I've heard this claim about Planned Parenthood, but I don't know whether there's any factual evidence to support this claim (I suspect not, but I'm always open to fact-based arguments). A better example of this might be the eugenics that was practised in North Carolina in the 1950's -- one of the worst examples of state-sponsored population control in the 20th century, and during a time when the Democratic party was definitely in power.

LBJ started the second plantation era with welfare , government housing for minorities and the Democrats are still trying to keep them on the plantation . People can make all the claims they want but the voting records show the Democrats want to strip our rights away from us . Anyone who believes this socialism loving gun grabbing Democratic party is something new and not the same as yore need only to look at FDRs r cord .

Well, one could also argue that FDR pulled the country out of a depression that was caused by unregulated capitalists, financiers and monopolistic enterprises running roughshod over the country. Which is not to say that I agree with everything that he did, but rather to suggest that this is a far more complicated topic for historical inquiry.

I sometimes hear the Works Progress Administration referred to when people talk about forcing welfare recipients to work for their welfare. Do you also oppose this part of FDR's New Deal?

Mike

Last edited:

Nathan Hale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Louisiana
    Admin, would you close this thread, please; it has nothing to do with H.R. 1112 anymore. Thank you.
    Nathan Hale (OP)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom