Question about property rights

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bayouteche85

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    Breaux Bridge
    If this does not belong here, by all means, please move to the appropriate forum.

Some background:

My wife and I purchased our home in July 2017. It sits in a partially developed private subdivision. I believe nearly half of the lots have been developed and the homes are occupied, but all lots are owned by folks other than the initial developer. The subdivision is a straight, dead end with homes on either side. Since the subdivision was developed over ten years ago, the road has always been a limestone one. We bought our house knowing this and liked the idea of a limestone road to keep speeding to a minimum when our boys are playing outside and riding bikes.

Now some of the neighbors and other property owners have started a petition with the help of the parish president to have the parish pave the road, but since it will remain a private road, the cost of the improvements will be paid by the property owners via property tax increases for the next 10-15 years (estimates are around $10-12K owed per lot). At the moment, the petition has the support of less than 50% of the property owners but will pass that bar with just one more signature. Based on initial conversations with the parish president, he has stated that he has the authority to move forward with a simple majority, but would much prefer to have 75% or better supporting the project. However, lately it seems as though a simple majority will be enough for him.

A little more information, the road basically bisects the subdivision, splitting it nearly down the middle. However, the road technically falls completely on the property of all homes and lots on my side of the road. So my property line ends on the far side ditch on the road. I understand that the road use falls under right of access and I cannot stop anyone from using it, and that's perfectly fine. We understood that from day one when we started the process of buying this home. However, I am having trouble understanding what grounds, legally, the other property owners have to force the rest of us to upgrade our property and incur the cost of those upgrades against our wishes.

Obviously my wife and I have not signed and have no intention at the moment. My hang up is simply the fact that, as a neighborhood, we will be forcing people who do not wish to pay for a road and several families who simply cannot afford the increase, to have to bear this burden. One home has recently been listed for sale and I have spoken with another neighbor who was going through financial hardship prior to this and now has told me that he will not be able to keep his home if this happens.

Have any of you ever dealt with something like this before and can you possibly provide some direction? I honestly do not want to create bad blood with my neighbors, so if there is a statute or law stating that a simple majority is all that is needed for the parish president to move forward, then I will drop the issue and just grin and bear it. However, if there is no justification for it, I do not want anyone to have the authority to tell me what I will do with my money and property.

Thanks in advance.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Why would the parish pave the road if it will stay private? Usually, the developer paves the road then has it accepted into the parish system. Then the parish is responsible for upkeep.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    If this does not belong here, by all means, please move to the appropriate forum.

Some background:

My wife and I purchased our home in July 2017. It sits in a partially developed private subdivision. I believe nearly half of the lots have been developed and the homes are occupied, but all lots are owned by folks other than the initial developer. The subdivision is a straight, dead end with homes on either side. Since the subdivision was developed over ten years ago, the road has always been a limestone one. We bought our house knowing this and liked the idea of a limestone road to keep speeding to a minimum when our boys are playing outside and riding bikes.

Now some of the neighbors and other property owners have started a petition with the help of the parish president to have the parish pave the road, but since it will remain a private road, the cost of the improvements will be paid by the property owners via property tax increases for the next 10-15 years (estimates are around $10-12K owed per lot). At the moment, the petition has the support of less than 50% of the property owners but will pass that bar with just one more signature. Based on initial conversations with the parish president, he has stated that he has the authority to move forward with a simple majority, but would much prefer to have 75% or better supporting the project. However, lately it seems as though a simple majority will be enough for him.

A little more information, the road basically bisects the subdivision, splitting it nearly down the middle. However, the road technically falls completely on the property of all homes and lots on my side of the road. So my property line ends on the far side ditch on the road. I understand that the road use falls under right of access and I cannot stop anyone from using it, and that's perfectly fine. We understood that from day one when we started the process of buying this home. However, I am having trouble understanding what grounds, legally, the other property owners have to force the rest of us to upgrade our property and incur the cost of those upgrades against our wishes.

Obviously my wife and I have not signed and have no intention at the moment. My hang up is simply the fact that, as a neighborhood, we will be forcing people who do not wish to pay for a road and several families who simply cannot afford the increase, to have to bear this burden. One home has recently been listed for sale and I have spoken with another neighbor who was going through financial hardship prior to this and now has told me that he will not be able to keep his home if this happens.

Have any of you ever dealt with something like this before and can you possibly provide some direction? I honestly do not want to create bad blood with my neighbors, so if there is a statute or law stating that a simple majority is all that is needed for the parish president to move forward, then I will drop the issue and just grin and bear it. However, if there is no justification for it, I do not want anyone to have the authority to tell me what I will do with my money and property.

Thanks in advance.

If someone is living pay check to pay check and has no cushion to fall back on...Then they will loose the house irregardless sooner or later.

I've always found that if a politician has a girlfriend living on the same road then you can get anything done...Just ask her to pass it along.

bayouteche85

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    Breaux Bridge
    At the beginning of these conversations between the parish and the homeowners, it was the intent of the subdivision to turn the road over to the parish so it could become a public road and be maintained by the parish. However, after the parish surveyed the existing road, easement and power lines, we were told that the road *as-is* does not meet the requisite width for a public road. It is 50’ wide and needs to be 60’. To widen it would be much more costly, which did not go over well with either those pushing this or the rest of us pushing back.

So the parish president proposed a work-around of using parish funds for the improvement of private property and having it paid back via property taxes. My understanding, and I may be mistaken on this part as I’m not savvy about loans, is that we would be forced into a promissory note with the parish and be responsible for paying off the balance of the improvements prior to selling our home (should we have to sell before the 10-15 year pay period). This is because a lending bank would require that they hold the first lien and could not have that as long as the balances remained. So my understanding is that this effectively ruins home values as we would have to either sell at a higher value to cover the payoff of the road or incur the loss when we sell for fair market value. Seems to be a bum deal to me.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    You need an attorney versed in deeds or property issues.

I'm not one, but in my opinion, the property owners on your side of the road own the road, and the opposite side owners only have an access easement on your road. I would think that over 50% of the road owners on your side would have to agree to pave the road. I'm not even sure that the opposite side property owners could even be assessed the shared cost unless their deed or subdivision easement provides for road maintenance cost sharing. Any subdivision covenants may also apply.

Top Bottom