Smokin' Butts

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA

Got two pork butts = 22 lbs on the old Traeger smoking today.
    Both were rubbed down with cane syrup and then with seasoning rub.

47257728991_8f799c32e9_b.jpg

46343319565_6150e8b208_b.jpg

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA

Almost eleven hours later the butts were done!

46348340025_0d102f85fe_b.jpg

Lots of delicious bark

47211047202_9df2be6a25_b.jpg

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Not to take away from this thread nor your forsale listings. But I see you have owned A LOT of smokers. IF you could only have one, which one would it be? I have a vertical propane smoker, but I'm looking into something else. Would you say your traeger pellet smoker is best? What is the advantage over say the smoke house you listed and the stainless model also. I like capacity and ease of use, so something like a kamado is out of the drawing.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    It really all comes down to what you like to do. For quick, hot and fast searing of steaks you need something that will burn charcoal. Grilling and smoking can be as addictive as buying and collecting guns. I fell down that hole a while back but I need to reduce the numbers. Like I said for hot and fast grilling you need a charcoal or even wood burning grill.
    I can't give you a "one grill" answer.
    The electric smoker cooks low and slow and you put wood chunks in a tray that burns and produces smoke. Nothing wrong with that. Pellet cookers can cook low and slow or you can cook hot(indirect though)up to 450-500 degrees. I love my Traegers. My Executive 125 is 13 years old and still going. As with anything that gets hot and cooks it gets rusty and greasy. They both can cook unattended although I don't suggest it. If I leave like I did yesterday for a couple of hours I let someone here at home know to keep an eye on it and it is out in an open area just in case something happens.
    I have a Primo Oval Jr. that was my first kamado style cooker that I like but it can't do what the pellet cookers do. My Keg can do low and slow(it's doable with practice)or hot and fast.

It's hard for me to answer what one grill I would have. If I couldn't have a kamado and pellet grill because of cost or other limits I'd probably go with a good pellet cooker and maybe something like a Weber charcoal grill. My plan is to eventually get a Yoder 640 or possibly a Smokin Brothers 36.

Not sure if I answered your question but if you have more don't hesitate to ask.

Top Bottom