Truck gun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I don’t think there’s time to put on hearing protection to prepare for a discharge in a vehicle self defense situation. Of course, you could wear a pair of custom fit Bluetooth-enabled plugs continuously “just in case.”

It would be interesting to see if there is data on loss expectation from just one or a couple of “in vehicle” discharge events.

On one of the gun programs on an outdoor channel I saw them doing some “shooting from a vehicle” training. One of the trainers stated that he trains LE personnel in vehicle firearm use. Apparently he has students wear hearing protection for virtually all of the training but they shoot at least one without to acquaint the student with the noise.

Hearing protection for shooting wasn’t always a “thing.” I had been shooting for at least a decade before I was introduced to it.

I took a rifle shooting course at LSU (offered as either an HPRE or ROTC course) in 1973. The instructor (Mary Elizabeth Norkauer) required ear protection for all students. I bought some ear valves and some David Clark muffs from her (her family owned Norkauer Firearms.) That was the first time I had ever used hearing protection. (I’m 65 now and don’t hear so well!)

After taking the course I started always using hearing protection. I can remember being in a duck blind and buddies asking me “What’s in your ear?”

I wish I had started wearing hearing protection from the get-go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Often my truck gun is a short barreled 870. Work takes me into some interesting neighborhoods and I might want something with a bit more range than my usual ccw.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I have one of those but not my "truck gun" and I'll sell it for $700.
    hbnr7ukokhdrqj1effod.jpg

Stock gen3 is worth more. But if you would take $500 I would gladly take possession of it. Sometimes I just have to take a chance and possibly be upside down on a purchase.

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Stock gen3 is worth more. But if you would take $500 I would gladly take possession of it. Sometimes I just have to take a chance and possibly be upside down on a purchase.

Highly modified Gen 3 frame to accept Gen 4 MOS Glock factory slide, suppressor sights are co-witnessed, Apex trigger, other goodies. More than $900 invested.

$700 includes the optic, original box, etc. $30 shipping to your FFL.

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Hearing protection for shooting wasn’t always a *thing.* I had been shooting for at least a decade before I was introduced to it.

I was in the Army back in the early 60's and we had no hearing or eye protection. My hearing now is not so good.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Highly modified Gen 3 frame to accept Gen 4 MOS Glock factory slide, suppressor sights are co-witnessed, Apex trigger, other goodies. More than $900 invested.

$700 includes the optic, original box, etc. $30 shipping to your FFL.

I hope u know I’m kidding. Nice pistol. Picked up a 19x in November and still torn between a model 45 or a G5 19mos. Don’t have a optic pistol and not sure if this old dog can learn new tricks.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I was in the Army back in the early 60's and we had no hearing or eye protection. My hearing now is not so good.

I didn’t use ear and eye till it was mandatory at ranges. I can’t imagine the number of rounds fired without. I still chuckle when I see people on bicycles wearing helmets but I understand why.

Bonephish

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    I hope u know I’m kidding. Nice pistol. Picked up a 19x in November and still torn between a model 45 or a G5 19mos. Don’t have a optic pistol and not sure if this old dog can learn new tricks.

The mini reflex optics are awesome on range guns and help accuracy because the dot elevation and windage is zero'ed on the bullseye. Put the dot in the center of the bullseye and squeeze the trigger. Follow up shots are often in the same hole.

I have 3 Vortex Vipers, one on my M&P Pro Series 9 CORE, one on my Walther PPQ Model 1, and one on this Glock 19. All are awesome range toys, but I really should sell one of them.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA

I had a friend in high school that always wanted to be a Marine. Right after graduation he went in. A few months later he was home, no longer a Marine. After boot camp he went to Artillery school. While there a firing of a 155 was unexpected and he didn’t have any hearing protection nor covering his ears. He lost hearing in one ear and they discharged him. No longer combat capable. Broke his heart and all our buddies as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarcMac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    I have never had to shoot at anybody... pulled it out before.. but after a lot of years of hunting all kinds of animals I can say this... even hunting with ar's with muzzle brakes, pistol hunting, rifle hunting ect I have NEVER EVER felt the recoil even magnum guns, and deff have never heard the shot afterwards... even dumping an ar10 on a mess of hogs... just my thoughts

THAT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE DEAF ALREADY, GRANDPA!

Just kidding. Lol

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If this thread is strictly about which firearm will be less of a hearing killer, I would say that you probably won't even hear it go off if you are facing a possible deadly force encounter and your mind is racing a million miles per second. I would suggest survival first and foremost, and what effects the bang had on my hearing much later.

If the thread also wishes to include which caliber, type of gun, and ammo will best help you shoot through a window or car door, go to: http://www.theboxotruth.com/index.html

This guy loves to shoot things to test "real-world" results.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    If this thread is strictly about which firearm will be less of a hearing killer, I would say that you probably won't even hear it go off if you are facing a possible deadly force encounter and your mind is racing a million miles per second. I would suggest survival first and foremost, and what effects the bang had on my hearing much later.

If the thread also wishes to include which caliber, type of gun, and ammo will best help you shoot through a window or car door, go to: http://www.theboxotruth.com/index.html

This guy loves to shoot things to test "real-world" results.

What if you have to discharge said firearm with a passenger in the vehicle, say a young child, or a grandchild? Are you going to be so cavalier with their hearing, as you are with your own?

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    What if you have to discharge said firearm with a passenger in the vehicle, say a young child, or a grandchild? Are you going to be so cavalier with their hearing, as you are with your own?

Just had and interesting thought has anyone pointed out the use of the 2-3ton automobile as a weapon? Given the opportunity this is the best hearing safe weapon of choice.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I don't usually shoot trucks, but when I do, I prefer my Mod 29 44 mag, it usually leaves a pretty good size hole in the engine block

Do not bet the farm on your pistol stopping a vehicle by shooting at the engine. Better to shoot at the driver.

Top Bottom