Is there any competitive shooting for little kids?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 5shotgroup

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Pride
    I have a seven year old son that wants to shoot competitively. It don’t matter if it’s rifle or pistol. Is there any out there for kids this young?

japarker82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    New Orleans
    he could do steel challenge, Its available in Biloxi at coast pistol and rifle range and in Donalsonville at Palo Alto range.

SMR412

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    P-ville
    There is some .22 shooting matches (shooting little animal shaped steel targets) at the Ascension Parish Sheriff Office shooting range (across from Lamar Dixon) once a month. I do not know if there are age limits. I went once with a scoped Marlin model 60 just for fun, and it was fun, but most people had "fancy" special made for that shooting .22s. I can't imagine anyone who likes shooting not have fun doing it.
    I think they post info in the COMPETITION forum here.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    As long as the child will listen to commands and be safe we will allow them at the Steel Challenge Matches. We welcome them as long as they can be a safe shooter. A good light weight .22 with or without a red dot sight is great for a young shooter.
    LSS is having it’s monthly match this Sunday at the Palo Alto Range in Donaldsonville. Match starts at 9:00 am, you will need to be there by 8:30 for sign in.
    The match consists of 6 stages. You shoot each stage 5 times and there are 5 targets per run. So you will need 25 rounds per stage if you don’t miss. You will also need at least 5 mags, so we are not wasting time watching you reloading mags. There are divisions for iron sights and optical sights. All long guns need a chamber flag to hold the bolt open between stages. If you need any other information send me a PM and I will get back with you.
    Pour match is this Sunday but it will depend on the weather. If we get a substantial amount of rain Saturday or early Sunday morning we will cancel the match. I will put a post on Bayou Shooter if we do this.

Thanks,

Bryan

5shotgroup

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Pride
    He has a ruger 22/45 and acouple 22 rifles which he is very knowledgeable with. I’m going to have to get him a couple more mags. We are definitely going to check out some steel matches. Thank you everybody for the replies.

swanem

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2018
    Destrehan
    Where are you located? I'm a 4--H rifle instructor for Ascension Parish and the ex is Pistol Instructor. I have a lot of contacts for the area. The 4-H season is almost over, but we're still shooting Silhouettes with EASL, SMGA, and there's another in St Bernard.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom