My Labradar Review

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • civiltiger07

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 20, 2017
    Brusly
    I guess this is the right section for this.

I just bought a Labradar and I was able to take it to the range yesterday for the first time. My early impression is that the Labradar is great useful tool. It took me a little trial and error to figure out the poistioning with repect to the rifle muzzle, but I got it figured out. I figured out that the Labradar wanted to be about 6-8 inches in front of the muzzle. This is required to trigger the radar to track the bullet.

The unit saves all of the data and you are able to download the data to a computer in excel format. The amount of data collected by the labradar is extermetly useful. You can setup the Labradar to record up to 5 velocities at varies distances out to 100 yds. Setup is pretty easy especially compared to a traditional chronograph.

At $550 the price is a little expensive, but after just one use I am excited about the data I will be able to collect from this unit. If you have any further questions I will try to answer them.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I guess this is the right section for this.

I just bought a Labradar and I was able to take it to the range yesterday for the first time. My early impression is that the Labradar is great useful tool. It took me a little trial and error to figure out the poistioning with repect to the rifle muzzle, but I got it figured out. I figured out that the Labradar wanted to be about 6-8 inches in front of the muzzle. This is required to trigger the radar to track the bullet.

The unit saves all of the data and you are able to download the data to a computer in excel format. The amount of data collected by the labradar is extermetly useful. You can setup the Labradar to record up to 5 velocities at varies distances out to 100 yds. Setup is pretty easy especially compared to a traditional chronograph.

At $550 the price is a little expensive, but after just one use I am excited about the data I will be able to collect from this unit. If you have any further questions I will try to answer them.

Thanks for this report. I currently use an Oehler 35P, but it's a pain to get setup and to take down, and I love the idea of something this compact.

Any idea what the battery life is like? If this was your first range run, then you probably haven't burned up a set of batteries yet.

Mike

civiltiger07

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 20, 2017
    Brusly
    Any idea what the battery life is like? If this was your first range run, then you probably haven't burned up a set of batteries yet.

Every review I have read said that it eats AA batteries for lunch, and after my one and only trip I can say that is probably true. I was using the radar for about 2 hours and the batteries were at about 1/2 the life remaining according to the meter on the screen. The unit has a port to plug in one of those external batteries that would provide more battery life. Right now I just bought a bunch of AA's on Amazon, and threw them in my range bag.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    I've had a Labradar for two years or so. Here are a few observations:

1. Mine doesn't seem to eat AA batteries, maybe because I use Energizer Ultimate Lithium for short duration and/or for extended sessions I use an external USB battery.

2. I created and 3d printed a simple guard to go around the power button, keeps the button from getting pushed on inside the case. I can make one for you if you'd like.

3. Getting it pointed at the target is important. There is a sight you can download from Thingiverse and 3d print. You remove the top bolt and install the sight with a longer bolt. It takes all the fun out of getting the Labradar pointed in the right direction. Again, if you don't have access to a 3d printer I can make you one but you'll have to dig up the proper size metric bolt.

4. I've been trying to create an external battery holder. Want one?

5. It doesn't like narrow shooting lanes cut in the woods. At my primary house I have a 100 yard range, the tree line is about 15 yards out then the lane is maybe 10 feet wide, and I haven't been able to get it to track boolits. At our weekend house I have a 300 yard range, clear to 150 yards, I can track boolits across the pond and out to the tree line, then it will loose the radar return.

6. A lot depends on the base of the boolit, a flat base will bounce the radar back but a concave base will scatter the radar return. I haven't been able to lock up .22 rimfire (concave base) or 5.56 M193 (concave base and usually rough). However I've tracked .17 HMR (flat portion of the base is .14") out to 150 yards.

7. If using a suppressor, the external microphone is "hit or miss". I have to use the Doppler trigger setting.

civiltiger07

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 20, 2017
    Brusly
    thanks for your info! I really didnt seem to have trouble lining up the unit with the target. I just used the V-notch at the top.

The range I shoot at (Palo Alto) has bearms all around the shooting ranges. Do you think if i setup to one side close to the bearms they might interfere with the radar?

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    The range I shoot at (Palo Alto) has bearms all around the shooting ranges. Do you think if i setup to one side close to the bearms they might interfere with the radar?

I don't know what effect the berms might have, try it and please let me know the results. PM me your snail mail address and I'll send you one of my power button guards. Would you like matching color (orange) or contrasting (black)?

Here's the sight, if you decide you want one just let me know.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2782564

Last edited:

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    thanks for your info! I really didnt seem to have trouble lining up the unit with the target. I just used the V-notch at the top.

Never had issue with mine there.
    Point the unit at the target and shoot.
    If using a suppressor, set the unit about 5-6* in front of the business end of the can and just to the side within a few inches. It will work fine.
    The rechargeable usb battery banks are the way to go over using AA batteries.

Top Bottom