2 Questions about CCW permit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RabidWolf1966

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2019
    West Monroe
    First off, I'm saying Hello, just joined today, hope to be here a long time.

Now to the questions
    1>I contacted LSP by messaging their FB page, and asked them if a Veteran gets his/her permit at no cost. Whomever answered, showed me the law, saying that any Honorably Discharged Veteran can get either the 5 year or lifetime permit at no cost(YAY!). I'm currently waiting on a copy of my DD214, and have a question...I'm going to call the CCW phone number for LSP tomorrow to verify, but I'm curious as if anyone knows ....Does a General Discharge Under Honorable Conditions meet the requirement?
    2>As I stated above, supposing I can get the permit for free, should I get the 5 year or the lifetime? From what I understand, I might as well just get the 5 year, because you still have to "renew" the lifetime permit every 5 years anyway.

Thanks for all responses and advice.

Edit, one more question...I understand that a DUI and OVI are completely different, so I don't have to say yes to the question about OVI(Operating a Vehicle while Intoxicated), but...do I have to list a DUI where it asks if I've been found guilty of any criminal offense?

Last edited:

RabidWolf1966

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2019
    West Monroe
    Just got off the phone, the officer I talked to said that
    1>General Discharge Under Honorable Conditions DOES meet the requirements.
    2>even with a "lifetime" permit, you still have to "renew" every 5 years, so I'll probably go with the 5 year permit anyway...MAYBE, some day Louisiana will go with Constitutional Carry.
    3>For their purposes DUI and OVI ARE the same, however since my DUI was over 20 years ago, it shouldn't effect whether or not I get the permit. All I have to do is get paperwork showing the dispensation OR if they no longer have it on record, paperwork on their letterhead stating that fact. This makes it a little bit more work on my part.

tigerfan_9

1000 Yard Club
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    2>even with a "lifetime" permit, you still have to "renew" every 5 years, so I'll probably go with the 5 year permit anyway...MAYBE, some day Louisiana will go with Constitutional Carry.

with a lifetime permit, yes you have to renew (basically just prove renewed training) but you you wouldn't have to pay again. if i were you i'd get the lifetime for free so you aren't paying the $125 every 5 years.

andmess14

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 22, 2016
    Houma, LA
    If you buy guns often, I would recommend the 5 year permit since many places use it in lieu of of NICS. If that isn’t the case, go lifetime. It will keep you from having to fill out an application ever again.
    I teach the CHP class in Houma if you haven’t taken one yet.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    If you buy guns often, I would recommend the 5 year permit since many places use it in lieu of of NICS. If that isn’t the case, go lifetime. It will keep you from having to fill out an application ever again.
    I teach the CHP class in Houma if you haven’t taken one yet.

I agree. I just renewed about a year ago and I got the 5 year for that reason and I'm a Vet so either one was free.

And to the OP it's a CHP in Louisiana and not a CCW.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom