Fruit and nut trees

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Who has fruit and nut trees?
    Ive got 6 blueberry, a brown turkey fig and a lsu gold fig. A floraking peach, and a floraqueen peach. 3 dwarf mullberry. A pineapple pear, a Mystery Apple, a kumquat, satsuma, and pumello.i also have a male kiwi vine(the females keep dying) and 3 types of grapes.
    All my stuff is from last season or this season. It's all potted instead of planted as we are likely to move in 3-5 years, and my soil is death.
    I'm looking at getting hazelnut bushes, pawpaw trees, and another Apple and kumquat, and trying a 3rd female kiwi.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Bought this year a couple of hazlenuts trees,apple,pear,fig,pecan,muskedines,grapes,jap persimmon,I know I'm forgetting a few,The pecan is not looking well.
    Have kumquat already,jap lemon tree and a jap kumquat that is sour like crap, I'm cutting that one down.
    Looking for some satsuma's?

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Who has fruit and nut trees?
    Ive got 6 blueberry, a brown turkey fig and a lsu gold fig. A floraking peach, and a floraqueen peach. 3 dwarf mullberry. A pineapple pear, a Mystery Apple, a kumquat, satsuma, and pumello.i also have a male kiwi vine(the females keep dying) and 3 types of grapes.
    All my stuff is from last season or this season. It's all potted instead of planted as we are likely to move in 3-5 years, and my soil is death.
    I'm looking at getting hazelnut bushes, pawpaw trees, and another Apple and kumquat, and trying a 3rd female kiwi.

How do you like that pomelo and where did you get the plant?

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    How do you like that pomelo and where did you get the plant?

I haven't had one from my tree yet. I bought one from Wal-Mart North of Hammond.
    I bought a pumello at whole foods. It's like a grapefruit and orange mixed. Very tart and sweet. Not the bitter sour of grapefruit.

- - - Updated - - -

Bought this year a couple of hazlenuts trees,apple,pear,fig,pecan,muskedines,grapes,jap persimmon,I know I'm forgetting a few,The pecan is not looking well.
    Have kumquat already,jap lemon tree and a jap kumquat that is sour like crap, I'm cutting that one down.
    Looking for some satsuma's?

You selling some? And the kumquat likely needs a different fertilizer to sweeten them up.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Troy, Off Topic but the title of your thread reminds me of California.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    For all you citrus growers out there please take the time to read up on two diseases, citrus canker and citrus greeening. These are two devastating diseases that moved into Louisiana starting around 2013. There is no cure for these diseases so if your tree gets it the best thing to do is to remove it. Greening is much harder to detect as the plant can have the disease for awhile without showing signs of it. The disease is vectored by an insect called the Citrus Psyllid. It is very small, less than an 1/8 of an inch, so detection by the untrained eye is hard to do. The leaves on the tree will start to show mottling where the leaf is light green and dark green. There are plenty of other things that make the leaf look like this but go to the LSU Ag Center website to see pictures. It affects the fruit also and makes it bitter and lop sided. It will kill the tree eventually. The only way this disease can spread is by this insect. Make sure you have a regular treatment program to treat your trees. The only thing to watch out for is to not spray while the tree is blooming. This will kill lots of pollinators such as the awesome honey bee, so wait til the bloom is over before applying an insecticide. The disease is spread throughout 6-7 parishes but mainly in the New Orleans area. Canker on the other hand can be spread by wind and rain and is very easy to detect. It makes canker sores on the fruit, leaves and tree branches. The most susceptible citrus is grape fruit and one of the least susceptible are satsumas. We have found an isolated case around BR or so we think, but time will tell. If you live anywhere west of Hammond and north of Lafourche Parish and think you have it call 225-952-8100 and we can verify it for you.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I haven't had one from my tree yet. I bought one from Wal-Mart North of Hammond.
    I bought a pumello at whole foods. It's like a grapefruit and orange mixed. Very tart and sweet. Not the bitter sour of grapefruit.

- - - Updated - - -

You selling some? And the kumquat likely needs a different fertilizer to sweeten them up.

Hadn't really thought about selling any,Cousins and neighbors usually come by,Pick a few and be on their way.

The kumquat tree is probably over 60 years old.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    For all you citrus growers out there please take the time to read up on two diseases, citrus canker and citrus greeening. These are two devastating diseases that moved into Louisiana starting around 2013. There is no cure for these diseases so if your tree gets it the best thing to do is to remove it. Greening is much harder to detect as the plant can have the disease for awhile without showing signs of it. The disease is vectored by an insect called the Citrus Psyllid. It is very small, less than an 1/8 of an inch, so detection by the untrained eye is hard to do. The leaves on the tree will start to show mottling where the leaf is light green and dark green. There are plenty of other things that make the leaf look like this but go to the LSU Ag Center website to see pictures. It affects the fruit also and makes it bitter and lop sided. It will kill the tree eventually. The only way this disease can spread is by this insect. Make sure you have a regular treatment program to treat your trees. The only thing to watch out for is to not spray while the tree is blooming. This will kill lots of pollinators such as the awesome honey bee, so wait til the bloom is over before applying an insecticide. The disease is spread throughout 6-7 parishes but mainly in the New Orleans area. Canker on the other hand can be spread by wind and rain and is very easy to detect. It makes canker sores on the fruit, leaves and tree branches. The most susceptible citrus is grape fruit and one of the least susceptible are satsumas. We have found an isolated case around BR or so we think, but time will tell. If you live anywhere west of Hammond and north of Lafourche Parish and think you have it call 225-952-8100 and we can verify it for you.

I have heard about those citrus tree problems. I have a few but will not spray because of my bee hives.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    LSU's Ag dept. contains a wealth of information. Follow their recommendations and your plants stand a better chance of being productive.
    Don't hesitate to move plants if they don't thrive where they are planted. I have moved some of my citrus trees up to three times. One of them is finally blooming. It's been so long I've forgotten what it is. Maybe this year will be it's reveal!

Top Bottom