Beware shipping guns through Fedex

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Mods: hope this is acceptable forum for this thread----

Sold a gun for a local widow on GB. Figured $35 would about cover shipping. Gun sold, promised the buyer delivery the day after I received funds. Funds arrived and I took package to Fedex since I had heard UPS had theft problems. $149 for arrival next morning and $119 for arrival next afternoon. Should have walked but it was getting late and I gave my word.
    I have since found a local FFL dealer/gun shop that will handle shipping much more reasonably in the future. Live and learn.
    (I sold a Python on GB several years ago and shipping was reasonable - wth happened?)

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    Shipped all rifles I have sold through USPS using priority mail. You get tracking, a pittance of insurance and 3 day delivery. Fedex is not bad, but I wouldn't promise anybody overnight delivery....not even a envelope, because it gets expensive! $35 and USPS/Priority usually goes really well.

Oh yeah, handguns shipped from a individual require next day shipping, in that case use your local gun dealer as that does not apply when shipped from FFL to FFL.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Shipped all rifles I have sold through USPS using priority mail. You get tracking, a pittance of insurance and 3 day delivery. Fedex is not bad, but I wouldn't promise anybody overnight delivery....not even a envelope, because it gets expensive! $35 and USPS/Priority usually goes really well.

Oh yeah, handguns shipped from a individual require next day shipping, in that case use your local gun dealer as that does not apply when shipped from FFL to FFL.

I used USPS to ship $550 worth of insured parts years ago and the package was stolen between Walker and Baton Rouge. I was refused payment because I could not show original receipt for the contents.
    $550 lost and I never received a penny after contesting their policy.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    I've used UPS a couple of times and didn't pay more than $35. Pack your box following their guidelines, measure it, weigh it and print your own shipping label.

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    I used USPS to ship $550 worth of insured parts years ago and the package was stolen between Walker and Baton Rouge. I was refused payment because I could not show original receipt for the contents.
    $550 lost and I never received a penny after contesting their policy.

The difference is with a firearm, they KNOW that other agencies like ATF will be by to check with them when one is reported "lost". I have had no problems with USPS other then slow lazy route delivery people. Of course, your mileage may vary and I may be lucky!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Why was it so high to ship? I’ve shipped several guns from the FedEx hub in
    Baton Rouge and it’s never cost me more than in the 30’s.
    I don’t tell them what’s in the package but you are not required to as far as I know.
    I’m thinking you made an error somewhere. As far as next day delivery,? Anybody that impatient can pay shipping themselves.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    So you made a promise without checking the cost and somehow it's FedEx's fault.

No, Barry, I'm not blaming Fedex for my failure to check first. I "assumed" (my bad) it would be around $35 and was surprised. I was told those were the only 2 options (next am for $149 and next pm for $119) and I think that is excessive since FFL dealers can do it for much less - same size, same weight and same content for that much more. Maybe I don't understand their business concept which seems to be "screw 'em for as much as you can". But there may be some federal regulations or something I don't know about?

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Sorry, but if you spend more than $35 to ship a firearm, that’s your fault. Not FedEx’s fault.

You're correct, Stephen, it is my fault. I should have walked out, called the buyer and explained why shipment was going to be a little late. Again, my bad. It is not Fedex's "fault", this post was meant to be a warning to others who may be as naive as I am to do their homework because there are businesses out there that are either anti-2A or just greedy.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Why was it so high to ship? I’ve shipped several guns from the FedEx hub in
    Baton Rouge and it’s never cost me more than in the 30’s.
    I don’t tell them what’s in the package but you are not required to as far as I know.
    I’m thinking you made an error somewhere. As far as next day delivery,? Anybody that impatient can pay shipping themselves.

Mag, don't know why it was so high to ship. And I misstated something in my OP - I told the buyer I would ship within 24 hours after receiving funds, not guarantee next day delivery. I don't think he was in a particular hurry. The Fedex employee ask if it was a gun and I wasn't going to lie (ship to address was "XXX Armory" so I guess she assumed). And it was insured for $2500.
    And, again, I DID make an error. Shoulda' walked!

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Learned that lesson myself a while back. Sold a handgun, got a surprise when FedEx told me $115... I was thinking $50 max (should teach me not to think)... Recently sold another one, and made arrangements with an FFL to ship it for me.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    My ffl pays the same as I do. According to him the rates are the same. As OP stated a couple of times now, he didnt do his due diligence before shipping. Sounds like it won't happen to him again.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    You're correct, Stephen, it is my fault. I should have walked out, called the buyer and explained why shipment was going to be a little late. Again, my bad. It is not Fedex's "fault", this post was meant to be a warning to others who may be as naive as I am to do their homework because there are businesses out there that are either anti-2A or just greedy.

Fair enough. You live and learn!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Well, I shipped a full size AR15 in a PSA foam lined box inside a shipping box to Bossier City for the sum of $27.50 fairly recently. There were no gun related markings on the outer box. I did not ask for any sort of expedited shipping or outlandish insurance. Package arrived in good shape VIA FedEx a few days later. The pistols I’ve shipped were far less. I can’t speak for the ones that went back to the factory as I used the provided shipping labels.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Per common carrier policies (FedEx, UPS, etc) they require all firearms to be shipped overnight.
    Shipping firearms cia USPS is only allowed for FFLs last I checked.
    If you violate either of these policies and the wrong person presses the issue the shipping cost will be negligible.

lesgeaux

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Marrero, LA
    Per common carrier policies (FedEx, UPS, etc) they require all firearms to be shipped overnight.
    Shipping firearms cia USPS is only allowed for FFLs last I checked.
    If you violate either of these policies and the wrong person presses the issue the shipping cost will be negligible.

I haven’t shipped a long gun in years but the last time it was by USPS priority. At that time I did the required advise the attendant of the contents and had no issues. The policy at the time did allow this. Has the rules changes ?

Top Bottom