Ruger 10/22

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I have a 10/22 with a taper barrel and I have a 22 can hopefully out of ATF jail soon. Should I thread the current barrel or buy a bull barrel threaded replacement? And where?

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    If you choose to thread your current barrel I highly recommend Morgan at class3machining
    You can find him on book of faces and Instagram

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have a 10/22 with a taper barrel and I have a 22 can hopefully out of ATF jail soon. Should I thread the current barrel or buy a bull barrel threaded replacement? And where?

Depending on what you're looking to spend, there's the Tac Sol SB-X barrel. It's a 12.5 inch barrel with a permanent silencer shroud bringing the total length to over 16 inches.

https://www.tacticalsol.com/x-ring-series/x-ring-sb-x-barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    My next 10/22 barrel will be one of the WhistlePig 16.5 threaded lightweights. These are a rifled steel tube within a .920 aluminum bull barrel profile. The last one I got from them was on sale right after Christmas at $123 including shipping. Normal price is around $180. Hoping there'll be another sale around the fourth of Jul. They also have a big sale around Veterans Day but I missed it last year.

The 18.5 WhistlePig bull barrel is 10 oz lighter than a standard 10/22 18.5 steel carbine barrel. I'm guessing that the 16.5 barrel with a silencer would be close to the weight of a steel barrel without silencer.

I've been pleased with my 18.5, went out yesterday and shot 75 rounds in 15 5-shot groups while determining best location for a forearm pressure point. Even the worst group was less than an inch at 50 yards.

http://www.wpgbc.com/category-s/158.htm

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    My next 10/22 barrel will be one of the WhistlePig 16.5 threaded lightweights. These are a rifled steel tube within a .920 aluminum bull barrel profile. The last one I got from them was on sale right after Christmas at $123 including shipping. Normal price is around $180. Hoping there'll be another sale around the fourth of Jul. They also have a big sale around Veterans Day but I missed it last year.

The 18.5 WhistlePig bull barrel is 10 oz lighter than a standard 10/22 18.5 steel carbine barrel. I'm guessing that the 16.5 barrel with a silencer would be close to the weight of a steel barrel without silencer.

I've been pleased with my 18.5, went out yesterday and shot 75 rounds in 15 5-shot groups while determining best location for a forearm pressure point. Even the worst group was less than an inch at 50 yards.

http://www.wpgbc.com/category-s/158.htm

Ever put a can on it and have issues with the extra weight on the end?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Factory barrel is ok as long as you remove the front sight and thread it on the barrel band so you have enough back stop for the can. The barrel is pretty small on that end and doesn’t meat up enough til you cut it down to about the 14” mark. That being said, you might be surprised at how accurate the CCI Standard Vel bullets are out of a 12” factory cutdown.
    If I was gonna go .9 inch or so bull, I’d go with a nice carbon fiber on steel. About the same weight or less than factory. Look for 1:12 or so twist to make the most of subsonic accuracy. 1:10 really shines with the 60gr Aguila rounds.

Last edited:

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I picked up a 10/22 takedown with the intention of replacing the factory barrel with the Tac Sol SB-X takedown version but Kenny from Meplat talked me into getting the Gemtech Mist TD.

The mist has always intrigued me. And would have probably bought one by now if I had not gotten a mask. Noticeably quieter than my sparrow and thunderbeast takedown. That mask is really quiet on my tactical solutions x-ring 10/22 and stupid quiet on my cz455 trainer.

Last edited:

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Ever put a can on it and have issues with the extra weight on the end?

Current barrel is not threaded. My next one will have threads and then I'll get to experiment.

Additional info: A standard 18.5 tapered carbine barrel weighed 28 oz on my digital scale. The WP .920 18.5 lightweight weighed 18 oz. I'm guessing the WP 16.5 will weigh around 16 oz.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom