Need a gunsmith to cut/weld magazines

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D_behrnes

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    Zachary
    I’m looking for somebody preferably in the Baton Rouge area that can do a little Smith work for me. I have 8 mags I need cut and welded to make a total of 4 magazines. I need to cut x amount of mag #1 and cut x amount of mag #2 and weld together. I’m trying to get an over all length of NO MORE THAN 140mm. I’m trying to make some mags for my limited gun and would rather be safe than try to squeeze that last millimeter in.

im willing to ship my mags to somebody if they would be willing to do the work for me. Also if any of y’all know of a gunsmith that will be able to handle this some contact imformation would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Having done some of this type of work in the past, I must warn you that while is may sound simple, it ain't! The chances of you ending up with a functioning & reliable magazine are quite low. You will need someone with substantial welding expertise to weld the two mag bodies together and a gunsmith with the skills to tune the mag. (Note: Most welding shops that have the expertise and equipment for delicate work can't be bothered with a small job. Smaller welders will "try" and you'll end up with a melted mess. Been there, done that.) Then there is the problem of finding a proper fitting spring that has the correct (and at this point unknown) tension to feed properly. Bottom line is you're going to sacrifice two working mags plus a bunch of money for one extended mag that likely won't work.

My advise: Spend the same money and just buy more standard mags.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Having done some of this type of work in the past, I must warn you that while is may sound simple, it ain't! The chances of you ending up with a functioning & reliable magazine are quite low. You will need someone with substantial welding expertise to weld the two mag bodies together and a gunsmith with the skills to tune the mag. (Note: Most welding shops that have the expertise and equipment for delicate work can't be bothered with a small job. Smaller welders will "try" and you'll end up with a melted mess. Been there, done that.) Then there is the problem of finding a proper fitting spring that has the correct (and at this point unknown) tension to feed properly. Bottom line is you're going to sacrifice two working mags plus a bunch of money for one extended mag that likely won't work.

My advise: Spend the same money and just buy more standard mags.

I have agree with Doug. Getting the spring right will be a hassle, because you can’t just stack the springs on top of each other spring rate is a function of type of material, thickness, and length if you double the length all things constant you nearly cut the spring rate in half.

At the end of the day it’s your money and if you want something the market doesn’t go for it but be prepared to flush some money getting it right.

D_behrnes

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    Zachary
    I’m guessing it’s a wittiness? What caliber?
    Yes it’s a witness limited 9mm. I would like to get some Caspian magazines but with the mixed reviews I’m kinda on the fence about spending 130 a mag for something that may or may not function properly. And with having a magwell i would like to avoid 17 round mags with extensions if possible.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Yes it’s a witness limited 9mm. I would like to get some Caspian magazines but with the mixed reviews I’m kinda on the fence about spending 130 a mag for something that may or may not function properly. And with having a magwell i would like to avoid 17 round mags with extensions if possible.

Take a look at mec gar or mag pro. If they don’t fit perfectly I would wager adjusting them to fit the wittiness would be an easier route. The CZ’s, tanfoglio’s, Baby eagles, all use similar dies.

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/promag-...uger-32-round-magazine-blued-steel-cz-a3.html

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I would suggest cutting the upper mag (the one you will use as the feed lips) as low as possible, then cutting the lower mag (the one you plan to put the baseplate on) to give the extension. That way the welded area is low on the combined mag and may not interfere with the follower. Most of these mags locate the follower on the front and back of the mag, the sides do not contact as the follower drops past the singe feed section.

If you can find the correct longer spring from wolff or whoever that should work. Finding the correct spring would be number one priority

Welding up the mags as suggested is not difficult, just need to make copper backers to go inside the mag at the joints to limit weld penetration. Tig welding would be best, but careful mig would work. I would tack the corners and test feed before going all the way with welding.

how long is the current mag? Or, how much material length are you adding??

It could be done by just adding the needed width material after cutting the bottom off the mag, no need to sacrifice the 2nd mag...

I have cut and welded mags a few times, just not for this purpose. Even made a 303 mag feed 54r, but that was a real pain.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Back when they were first giving us issues about magazines I took the "non-removable" SKS factory magazine, cut the bottom off, took a steel 30 round AK magazine and cut the top off, welded them together and wound up with a 30 round "fixed" mag SKS! Worked perfect. Load it with 3 10 round stripper clips and you were good to go.

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    attachment.php

Tanfoglio TA-90 with a 32 round Promag extended CZ-75 magazine. I also have the 20 round magazines and they all work without a hicup.

If your pistol can take CZ magazines, it might be easier to get the 32 rounders and shorten them rather than welding 2 magazines together.

Al

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace

I have a witness limited and Caspian mags don't work in them. Get the Mecgar mags and add the Hennings extended bases.

Top Bottom