Louisiana red flag bill

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Okay, as promised; here is the latest "full" list of claims to shame we have here in Louisiana! This is exactly the way I am sending this to the committee tomorrow that is supposed to hear HB 483. Feel free to copy and paste to make your own mailer for your Legislator. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if most of them don't know how bad this state is doing in these categories.

Dear Louisiana Legislator,

For the past several weeks I have been following these rankings for our state as they were reported by various media outlets here and around the country.

I would like you to read over the list, show it to Representative Gary Carter, and ask him to explain (with a straight face), why putting forth a gun grab Bill (HB 483), outweighs the importance of ANY issue listed as it pertains to Louisiana!

I am NOT taking off of work to come down there to Oppose this! You as a Legislator should not need ANYONE to show up in person to OPPOSE this! You should already KNOW about these rankings; and should summarily and without reservation or hesitation; overwhelmingly vote against his Bill, and any unnecessary, and unneeded anti-gun silliness when we have such a mess here. Particularly in a fiscal session!

In no particular order!
    #2 Highest percentage of people in poverty
    #51 Health Care
    #51 Best States Ranking
    #1 Least Healthy State
    #48 Best state’s to have a baby
    #1 Worst economy in the country
    #50 GDP Growth
    #47 Percentage of High-Tech Jobs
    #48 Inventor Patents
    Top 5 most dangerous states for crime
    Largest decline in construction 2017-2018
    #2 Insurance Rates
    #1 Highest AIDS rate among blacks
    Top 5 obesity
    #2 Low Birth Weights
    #2 Pre-term Birth Rates
    #4 Highest Cancer Rates
    #5 Highest Heart Disease Rates
    Louisiana last in Being Green according to WAFB
    3rd Highest Colon Cancer rate in the US! (Source WAFB)
    8th worst airport (Louis Armstrong Int'nl (N.O) in the country. (Source: Moneywise)

WASHINGTON — Louisiana is now three for three in being recognized as the worst state based on health care, education, infrastructure, crime and other quality-of-life measures, according to a national analysis released this week. U.S. News & World Report, known for consumer-focused rankings on education, health care and other factors, released its third annual "Best States" list Tuesday. The feature was launched in 2017 to provide insight into how states stack up in specific areas of interest. In addition to coming in 50th overall each time the report has been released, Louisiana this year also ranked 50th compared to all others in individual analyses on crime, opportunity and the environment.

Other categories scored included:
    the state's economy (49th),
    education (48th),
    fiscal stability (43rd),
    health care (45th)
    and infrastructure (48th).
    These are for the ladies of Louisiana!
    49th rank - for Women in poverty
    47th rank - Female homocide rate
    48th rank - Women's Health & Safety
    50th rank - Women's Economic & Social Well being
    (Source: Wallet Hub 2019)
    Per capita debt (money that each resident owes to pay down state's debt), in Louisiana well above national average. (Source B.R. Advocate) $1,497.00 per every citizen of Louisiana!
    Also, Louisiana's credit rating ranks as one of the worst among all states!

And for dessert: #1 worst state for robo-calls!

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Nice sentiment in that letter, but it'll do squat with the legislators.

The only way to get through to these knuckleheads is to show them that supporting this bill *will* cost them votes and donations in the next election cycle. That's the real power of having groups like HDF and FPLA there ... it shows the legiscritters that people are paying attention and caring.

Trying to "educate" legislators or reasoning with them is as futile as pissing on a brick wall.

Mike

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Nice sentiment in that letter, but it'll do squat with the legislators.

The only way to get through to these knuckleheads is to show them that supporting this bill *will* cost them votes and donations in the next election cycle. That's the real power of having groups like HDF and FPLA there ... it shows the legiscritters that people are paying attention and caring.

Trying to "educate" legislators or reasoning with them is as futile as pissing on a brick wall.

Mike

There is truth to what you proclaim. I will be the last person that has to reminded how worthless they are! I still feel dirty from the last time I did go up there a few years ago.

My goal is to get ANY of them to actually see just how screwed up this state REALLY is, and to reflect (even for a second), that arguing what can be called milk; or how many lawyer billboards should be allowed on the I-10, is positively moronic in the face of REAL problems.

And perhaps the local news sees it, and also has a millisecond of clarity. Besides, a unified front using varying perspectives to reach the same ends, works regardless and despite their lack of judgment or self awareness. Those that will be there, I applaud, thank, and fully support. This will be my small contribution.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    In all seriousness, I did watch this meeting. It is scary how the democrats will show almost no considerations for actual Constitutional Rights of their fellow citizens. In lock step, they only see "their" agenda(s) as the overriding factor on almost any issue.

I truly wonder if they just lack the basic knowledge of how this Republic works in concert with the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights?!?

This was a classic example of how we as gun Rights advocates/supporters must come to the defense of anyone or group that is under assault when it comes to their Constitutional Right to bear arms. After all, this was a Bill intending to single out persons in possession of guns with mental health issues, or anger issues, or violence issues. I don't support them! I just know that this is not the way to stop them from being stupid without grouping us all in the process with unintended consequences in the end.

Thanks to all who actually attended.

You'll be drawn back there next session; count on it! ;)

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    In all seriousness, I did watch this meeting. It is scary how the democrats will show almost no considerations for actual Constitutional Rights of their fellow citizens. In lock step, they only see "their" agenda(s) as the overriding factor on almost any issue.

I truly wonder if they just lack the basic knowledge of how this Republic works in concert with the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights?!?

This was a classic example of how we as gun Rights advocates/supporters must come to the defense of anyone or group that is under assault when it comes to their Constitutional Right to bear arms. After all, this was a Bill intending to single out persons in possession of guns with mental health issues, or anger issues, or violence issues. I don't support them! I just know that this is not the way to stop them from being stupid without grouping us all in the process with unintended consequences in the end.

Thanks to all who actually attended.

You'll be drawn back there next session; count on it! ;)

I'm fully expecting to go back next year, and the year after. The fight isn't over; it's just getting started.

The most persuasive part of this was when Gary Carter offered his closing remarks, and he talked about people who have been arrested for domestic violence and then threaten their spouses, and when they're released they carry out those threats. If *this* is actually a problem, then I can see a legitimate need to change law -- changes that could easily respect due process. But what was being put forward was much more sweeping and constitutionally problematic.

The Moms Demand Action people also need to learn to keep their voices down when the committee is in session. I had to shush them a few times. They did hurry into the room when the doors opened and occupied half of the front row (the other half was occupied by purple shirted FPLA representatives), so I guess they're learning.

And the guy that threatened to make red flag reports about legislators that supported this bill is an idiot, and I hope he never comes back to the legislature. If anything was going to sink us today, it was that.

It seemed like most of the legislators had made up their minds about this before they walked in the door, which was not that surprising. What did surprise me was how many people spoke in opposition to this bill today. If I was a legislator, I'd probably be a bit surprised about that.

Mike

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    Looks like they killed it this morning.

Barely. I was there. I serve, for better or worse, as the Vice President of the LSA and today was a 2nd effort full court press. I can't recall NRA, LSA and GOA + 3 other smaller organizations ever all being there at the same time for one issue.

We need people in there in clear opposition to these bills. I applaud all the groups that showed up today to help the cause.

Regarding the guy who called the legislators loony - good intentions but I'm willing to bet he saw that playing out a little differently in his mind. I'm all for him coming back and filling out red cards, but perhaps let people who are well prepared and understand the decorum of the forum speak.

10/7 win is pretty scary "win" when the bill would violate several rights without due process - we need to let our reps know how we feel about these issues.

And, I'll throw the NRA some love because for all their troubles - they were there today leading the charge against this. We are lucky to have Dr. Erin as our rep.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Barely. I was there. I serve, for better or worse, as the Vice President of the LSA and today was a 2nd effort full court press. I can't recall NRA, LSA and GOA + 3 other smaller organizations ever all being there at the same time for one issue.

We need people in there in clear opposition to these bills. I applaud all the groups that showed up today to help the cause.

Regarding the guy who called the legislators loony - good intentions but I'm willing to bet he saw that playing out a little differently in his mind. I'm all for him coming back and filling out red cards, but perhaps let people who are well prepared and understand the decorum of the forum speak.

10/7 win is pretty scary "win" when the bill would violate several rights without due process - we need to let our reps know how we feel about these issues.

And, I'll throw the NRA some love because for all their troubles - they were there today leading the charge against this. We are lucky to have Dr. Erin as our rep.

10-7 is almost exactly the way I expected it to go. There are 10 republicans, 8 democrats, and 1 independent on that Committee. I think one of the democrats was absent or it would have been 10-8. Democrats don't care about silly things like "due process" or "individual Rights" when they are supporting "their" agendas.

All you had to hear was the way Denise Marcelle was voting for it without even hearing the Amendments that were added. Even Chairman Mack was a little taken aback by her zealotry.

They (democrats), knew what it was, knew it was being pushed by a fellow democrat, and that's all they needed to know, or cared about. The logical arguments against it, were a waste of their ear time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom