Books to Read

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    We haven't had a good thread on books for a while. Anyone have good books to share? I'm on book #3 of the "Orphan X" series right now and would highly recommend. Book #2 isn't as good as the first, but the third definitely hasn't disappointed thus far!

Also, the Vince Flynn series following "Mitch Rapp" is still one of my favorites. I'm happy that Mills picked up the series after Flynn passed away.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Dr. Marys Monkey; there is a video online about an hour long to get you interested. The book price has become outragious

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    This is a good read. My kid loves it and my parents dog thinks its Brenda's beaver.
    5qSfyaN.jpg

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    What about books to listen to? If you spend a lot of time in a vehicle, book on tape are pretty nice.

I listened to The DaVinci Code over two roadtrips recently and the first two of the Orphan X series. Audible is pretty awesome.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Military science fiction by John Ringo. He was prolific when he was younger, so he has a wide selection of series. I'll give you the topic and first book in the series:
    Gust Front- aliens invade earth. I think it was his first book. Very well done even if the topic has been overdone.
    Through the Looking Glass- He put the science back in science fiction- lots of particle physics
    Ghost- ex navy seal interrupts a terrorist event. Think Tom Clancy but XXX rated. Still worth reading.
    Under a Graveyard Sky- Zombies in a nautical environment from the point of view of a family with teens. Dad is a former Aussie para living in the US. Probably one of the most fun series I own. I bought them all in hardback if that tells you anything, which I don't usually do.

Larry Correia. I think he's a regular on The High Road. It's refreshing to read a whole book and not have to correct anything said about guns or shooting.
    Monster Hunter International- Monsters are real, the company gets paid to hunt them down.
    Dead 6- modern day mercenaries in the middle east/ Africa. (not as good as the others but still worth reading).
    Tom Stranger: Inter dimensional Insurance Agent- audiobook only. Funny as hell. I won't try to describe it but I damn near drove into a ditch during the first chapter. Adam Baldwin narrates and does all the voices (Jayne from Firefly, also Animal Mother from Full Metal Jacket).

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Marine Sniper

A Terrible Thunder

True Blue

Those are a few good ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-iQRCi3Rl...m6LaOPXKYCLfQZUqhlFFrgCLcBGAs/s1600/Books.gif

There is a strong chance that this is how I will go...

I go in cycles, between enjoyable fiction (currently Warhammer 40K Horus Heresy series and other Black Library publications surrounding the 40K universe) and actual knowledge-imparting history and biographies, mostly military. I read every John Grisham novel that comes out, and the Langdon novels by Dan Brown. Gave up on Tom Clancy when it was no longer just Tom Clancy.

Last edited:

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    For you guys that like to read and listen to audiobooks download the Overdrive app for your phone and it's free. You log onto your library system and you can download EPUB books or listen to audio. I love it I have actually quit buying books as I can get almost anything from the library now. For my library system the only issue I have is they will have some older series where they have only some of the books but with popular series they tend to have them all. Now for my reading list:

Red Rising series
    Tom Clancy - don't read the ones done after he passed away not quite the same.
    Jack Reacher books - don't judge the books by the movies
    Dune series - some of the ones done by his son are good also.
    Wheel of Time
    Bradon Sanderson - Mistborn and Stormlight Archive
    Stephen King
    Dresden Files - Friend recommended these and I couldn't get enough

Ok, that's enough for now.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    While I like some mainstream authors like John Grisham, I find a lot of the non-mainstream books I've read to be non-fictions that have to do with learning about people's behavior.

Social Engineering The Art of Human Hacking - Christopher Hagnagy
    Thinking, Fast and Slow - Daniel Kahneman
    The Five Elements of Effective Thinking - Edward B. Burger and Michael Starbird
    The Philosopher's Toolkit: How to Be the Most Rational Person in Any Room - Patrick Grim
    Freakonomics - Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner
    SuperFreakonomics - Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner
    Think Like a Freak - Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner
    When to Rob a Bank - Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner
    The Hidden Economics of Pirates - Peter Leeson
    What If: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions - Randall Munroe
    Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness - Richard H. Thaler and Cass R. Sunstein
    Everybody Lies - Seth Stephens
    Code Warriors - Stephen Budiansky

And without endorsing the content, Mein Kampf is an entertaining read. While the facts he presents may not be accurate, he does a heck of a job of selling them.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom