Split casing in .22 round

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I was sighting in my sons 10/22 and during this process I had 3-4 casings split or blow out right below where they were struck with the firing pin. This is a 10/22 that I sent off to CPC for bolt work, trigger work and chamber work. I have another rifle I sent to him that has never done this. This guy is one of the best in the country as far as 10/22’s go but I’m starting to wonder if something is not right between the bolt and chamber. It’s hard for me to believe it’s the ammo. It was Winchester brand in the red plastic container. I’ve shot these for years and never had this happen. The bullets may be a few years old at most. I am posting some pics so you can get a better idea as to what is happening. Besides these hiccups the gun ran great and shot really good.
    11baf7122d0649f08374a8d68d900f37.jpg
    4fdfbb9ee53aa00e6a816366bd0273e1.jpg
    db9635c8b7ed522d6efa10fdc799a08e.jpg
    f222bc9b8970b817cd52af753e35415b.jpg
    7f5afc08fe6e72de7c5bee48cd847e09.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Have you got a digital caliper? Can you measure how far the bolt face is recessed from the front of the bolt (headspace)? Whatever the cause, it ain't good!

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I'd call the guy.
    I had a Federal bulk pack split on the rim. Only 1 though. more of a crack along the rim, not as visible and blown out as yours. Not too pleasant an experience.
    My first thought is try different ammo. Also try same ammo different rifle. Of course safety being a concern, it would be better to call the guy and take measurements first.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I also shot some Remington subsonic out of the gun and didn’t have this problem. I’ll get in touch with CPC today and see what he thinks. I’ll also do a little research on the ammo I was using.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Randy, at CPC, is top notch. If there is an issue, he'll handle it.

I don't think there is. Not unless you experience the same problem with a variety of ammunition.

I've got a brick of Federal Game shock. Every case will crack in my 10/22's, but not in my bolt guns.
    It's the only ammo I've had do this, so I'm not blaming it on the rifles.

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Man that’s surprising to see. How many rounds through that bolt/barrel since having the work done ?
    Trying different ammo through that rifle and that ammo through a different rifle would be my first steps. Then I’d call Randy with as much information as possible. I haven’t had any issues out of the parts he has worked for me, he will stand by his work.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The guns has had less than 200 rounds through it. The first time I shot it I had a vortex red dot on it. I did not have this issue but I think I was shooting some Federal ammo through it. I took the red dot off and mounted the primary arms 1x6 scope and thus the reason for sighting it in this past weekend. Maybe it is the ammo because when I did shoot another brand it did not do this. I’ll test it this weekend and run some different brands through it and see what happens.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    That is simply a bad run of ammo friend. I’d dispose of the rest. Had a whole bulk pack of wildcats that were doing the same thing. I threw them in my burn pile and had a laugh.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    That is classic bad headspace out of a rimfire. Could be the barrel/ bolt, could be the bolt is not fully closing or not enough spring pressure, or as stated before could be an out of spec run of ammo. Headspace needs to be checked on the gun with HS gauges, then check that ammo with a rim thickness gauge.
    Could be the brass is too thin or weak in the rim or the case rim is undersize.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    That is classic bad headspace out of a rimfire. Could be the barrel/ bolt, could be the bolt is not fully closing or not enough spring pressure, or as stated before could be an out of spec run of ammo. Headspace needs to be checked on the gun with HS gauges, then check that ammo with a rim thickness gauge.
    Could be the brass is too thin or weak in the rim or the case rim is undersize.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I did like the red dot and it was much lighter in weight, but my old eyes had a hard time using it because the dot is not real crisp. I’ll see what my son wants to do as it’s his gun and let’s just say he’s a little younger than me. I do like the scope though. The glass is clear and the reticle is pretty easy to get on target. I’m still figuring it out as there is quite a few things to learn with the scope. What’s your reasoning for putting the red dot back on it? Weight, appearance, quality of the optics?

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    The guns has had less than 200 rounds through it. The first time I shot it I had a vortex red dot on it. I did not have this issue but I think I was shooting some Federal ammo through it. I took the red dot off and mounted the primary arms 1x6 scope and thus the reason for sighting it in this past weekend. Maybe it is the ammo because when I did shoot another brand it did not do this. I’ll test it this weekend and run some different brands through it and see what happens.
    Seems like the problem started when you removed the red dot. Lol Sweet looking rifle. Hope it gets resolved soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom