Reparations? New/old dem strategies to win

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    2) I receive my compensation from the Bureau of Indian Affairs and/or the Shawnee Nation for killing two of my GGGGGGrandfathers in the mid-1700's and enslaving my GGGGGrandfather from age 9-18.

Our First Nations people were (and continue to be) treated terribly. I would have no problem with our government apologizing to them too.

This concept has been superseded by other government programs. Remember, it was President Andrew Johnson (a southern Democrat who believed the Constitution protected the right to own slaves - and he did) who cancelled the order to provide 40 acres and a mule to former slaves after the Civil War. That ship left the dock in the late 1860s.

So the correct answer is to just shrug our shoulders? The ship certainly didn't leave the dock in terms of slavery still affecting peoples' ability to live their lives. Even well past the Civil Rights movement a hundred years later, we can still see how African Americans are at a distinct disadvantage in this country.

The War on Poverty, affirmative action and myriad other handouts have made the decedents of former slaves the envy of all the third world. Our definition of poverty level equals the middle class for most of Africa and a large portion of the rest of the third world.

What a charitable Christian attitude. "Well, you're better off a poor Black here than you would be if you were in Africa, so shut up and take your paltry handout, and be content knowing that you'll never enjoy all of the social and economics benefits that Whites do."

Mike

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    What a charitable Christian attitude. "Well, you're better off a poor Black here than you would be if you were in Africa, so shut up and take your paltry handout, and be content knowing that you'll never enjoy all of the social and economics benefits that Whites do."
    Mike

I'm sorry you misinterpreted my meanings.

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I want to be careful not to take a position of defending the slave trade or slavery, however what I would like to point out is slavery in America, specifically pre Civil War America has been greatly exaggerated in frequency and conditions.

The slaves that came here from Africa by overwhelming majority were already slaves, both captured and bread in captivity by African Warlords. The conditions they were in were vastly worse with the traders and African Warlords than what they were with the overwhelming majority of American Slave owners. For a brief moment let’s ignore the fact that own another human being is wrong; the American slave owners provided a better life for their slaves than they would have gotten in a lot of situations they were already subject to by the circumstance of being a slave.

The concept of slavery traces back to the same two places and was spread through conquests North Africa and Mesothelioma. So you guessed it the ‘scourge of the earth’ that has effected brown people so adversely comes from brown people and has been perpetrated by in large by brown people since the dawn of civilization. But since I’m a white man and for a couple hundred years white men got in on the scam I owe brown people something?

My surname traces back to the Scottish/English border. Our genealogy shows us coming through the Carolinas and disbursing across the south east in the 1800’s. The most white pre-civil war southern family genealogy sounds similar to this. In the years leading up to the civil war the Southern families who owned slaves is probably similar to or maybe even significantly smaller than the number of modern day southern families who participate in cotillions.

I got on a bit of a rant there 991gt3 my intent was only to address the fact that freedom and starvation vs slavery was never a possibility for the slaves. It was be slaves to barbarians or slaves or people who treated them a little better.

My research shows that African tribes were employed to wage war upon other tribes to capture slaves. I’m not aware of extensive purchasing of existing space populations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I'm dying to see your citations for this statement. I spent a good bit of my history degree studying the Antebellum south, and I'd argue the opposite: that we've underestimated both the frequency and severity of slavery. Do you really want to argue that denying a person the most basic citizenship rights is somehow exaggerating conditions?

There are those that would have you believe you could walk from one slavery plantation to another as if they were scattered across the landscape like like finding LSU fans in Baton Rough. But it was more like finding Ole Miss fans in Baton Rouge. The last I read on this 2% of Southerner owned slaves.

Additionally people act like a whipping scene from Roots was the daily life of a slave in the south. That’s just not the case while I’m sure that did happen, I would imagine it was a bit of an exception.

Additionally there were were accounts of slaves fighting against the Union soldiers, while that could have been under duress, I’m certain there were those that were not.

Actually, yes.

You're right that you and I didn't contribute directly to slavery, since neither of us were alive during (or even close to) the Antebellum era. We are, though, the beneficiaries of a social, political and economic system that favored Whites throughout most of its history.

It's very much like the frustration that many of us feel when we see the kids of wealthy politicians land fabulous jobs at stratospheric salaries, and then we're told that it's because they're smart and they earned it. By all means, convince me that Chelsea Clinton really deserves to sit on the board of Expedia ...

Now, the question of *what* we owe African Americans is far trickier, and one that I don't have any satisfactory answer to. But I think a heartfelt apology for 250+ years of systemic mistreatment would be some sort of honorable start.

Mike

Nope gonna have to pass. I’m not getting into this patronize the black man by blaming white privilege. Do people make decisions based on how other people look? Sure but it goes way more in-depth that skin color.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    My research shows that African tribes were employed to wage war upon other tribes to capture slaves. I’m not aware of extensive purchasing of existing space populations.

While that may be true. That they were paid to go capture slaves for a couple hundred years that doesn’t explain the thousands of years prior. Slavery wasn’t a new thing when the Dutch showed up in Africa.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Every slave owner is dead. Every slave is dead. All direct heirs of Slave Owners and Slaves are dead. The institution of slavery is dead. Many people did not own slaves and many fought and died to end it. Politicians talk of reparations is just them pandering for votes. Reparations would not be fair to anyone living today. If anything reparations would create more division.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Mike

I'm sorry you misinterpreted my meanings.

You are in good company.

Mike, I believe what Trailboss was saying. Is our poor are the envy of the world and if you don’t like being poor in America you really have 3 options:

Use the freedoms you enjoy to change that.

Go to another country and whine about it to them.

Or keep eating that government cheese.

Mike,

I grew up in a rough place. I was called a ’wigger’, ‘white trash’, but I had good parents who loved me and pushed me. The neighborhood I grew up in you got discriminated against for being white and when you went to the more affluent part of town it was because you were from the wrong side of town. The school I graduated from most of the white kids are in jail a good bit of the black kids became successful (those with good parents mostly). It would be disingenuous for me to just say I do alright. But guess what I live around quite a few black folks. You know what’s different about them than the ones you see pissing and moaning about whitey owes me something? They worked and earned what they have. One guy has a dang nice pool.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Another thoughtful facts based argument, that flies in the face of this nonsense about the disadvantaged minority.

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    While that may be true. That they were paid to go capture slaves for a couple hundred years that doesn’t explain the thousands of years prior. Slavery wasn’t a new thing when the Dutch showed up in Africa.

It was not new there; correct. But it was different than it was practiced here.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    It was not new there; correct. But it was different than it was practiced here.

True sometimes it was worse sometimes it was better. But it’s the same principles one human owning another. In the Bible you see accounts of lenders calling loans and in slaving the indebted. You read about brothers selling their kid brother into slavery. You read about a North African being a slave to another North African. Often times North African slaves were required to be castrated (for similar reasons you would a do) to get the less strenuous jobs.

Last edited:

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    We all KNOW - or *SHOULD* know - that this is a political ploy to further divide & conquer by the slaveowner party.

Will it work?

It shouldn’t; it depends on each individual whether or not we allow these clowns to further divide us.

Fight lies with truth: the Antebellum South was Democrat-controlled as was the Klan afterwards.

Let the LEFT pay for its own past transgressions.

Watch them (A) shut up and (B) Blacks leave the “plantation party”.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Sarah had a slave (Hagar) that she made have a child with Abraham. That son was Ishmael. When Isaac was born to prevent any chance of competition Abraham sent Ismael into the wilderness. I’ve heard it discussed that from Ishmael's lineage came Mohammad. My amateur curiosity on the subject starts to show here.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom