Reparations? New/old dem strategies to win

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    The government has no money or income, all government is taxpayer funded. Are we going to go back to ancient times and get reparations for all enslaved people from every country from the beginning of slavery or is it just a black people thing in the US. Like I say, I never owned no slaves and you ain't never picked cotton. Just another way black folks think they are owed. I guess after generations of living of the government tit they trying to find another way. In reality, back then slavery was better for them here than if they had stayed in Africa. At least here they had food and a place to live and were treated better.

A good friend of mine siunce High School that I am to this day still friends with says that the Government can "Just Print Checks" for everyone who was birn here and still living.
    And really boost the economy and have everyone rich!
    But they will not because they want to control us! Period. Sayd we went off the Gold Standard so this can be done at any time needed! But they are holding back to keep us down.
    Other thank this one crazy thing he is normal.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    A good friend of mine siunce High School that I am to this day still friends with says that the Government can "Just Print Checks" for everyone who was birn here and still living.
    And really boost the economy and have everyone rich!
    But they will not because they want to control us! Period. Sayd we went off the Gold Standard so this can be done at any time needed! But they are holding back to keep us down.
    Other thank this one crazy thing he is normal.
    Well his premise is kind of correct. We can print as much money as we want, and we do to some degree, except we stopped bothering to print it. The problem is it causes stagflation, because it devalues the dollar against the rest of the worlds currencies. Which becomes problematic for us when we engage in foreign trade of commodities and securities. Additionally it’s problematic for the rest of the world because when we left the gold standard many nations began backing their currency with US Dollars because *they were as good as gold*.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    This silliness is not about repairing the inequities of slavery. It's NEVER about that; nor will it ever be about that. Phony self-righteous politicians in their quest for control and power over the citizenry, and particular the abhorrent democrats, are always on the look for votes. This nonsense is just another gimmick to endear a bloc of potential voters to ignore their failed policies.

Democrats are keenly aware that black Americans have been sobering up to their BS in the last few years. Those blacks that are educated and self reliant through their own doing, are not as easily convinced that being a democrat by birth means always voting in lock step with that bunch of charlatans. However, those that are poor and uneducated, are despondent and needy, are angry at their situations; are easily stirred and enthused by the prospect of more "free ****!"

Just listen to these idiots that are running for President. The pandering, the promising; "Free College! Free Healthcare! Free This or Free That!" Now this garbage, again.

What will be interesting is what shiny object they will offer this bunch next time?!?

Nailed it !

Beveaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2015
    outside NOLA
    Not all states were slave states. Texas joined the USA in 1845, so it was only a slave state for 20 years.

These states joined the USA after 1865, so they were never slave states: Nebraska, Colorado, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Washington, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Oklahoma, Arizona, New Mexico, Alaska & Hawaii.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    My mother was adopted, and never spoke of her heritage. She was dark skinned, with black hair.

Can I assume that I'm black, and claim my reparations?

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    One of my favorite writers wrote about this topic recently:

Here’s something else to ponder: Democratic candidates for the 2020 presidential elections are calling for reparations for slavery or for the study of reparations. Senators Kamala Harris, Cory Booker and Elizabeth Warren are leading the charge. Slavery was a gross violation of human rights. Justice would demand that slave owners make compensatory payments to slaves. Since both slaves and slave owners are no longer with us, such punishment and compensation is beyond our reach.

So which white Americans owe which black Americans how much? Reparations advocates don’t want that question asked, but let’s you and I ask it. Are the millions of European, Asian and Latin Americans who immigrated to the U.S. in the 20th century responsible for slavery? What about descendants of Northern whites who fought and died in the War of 1861 in the name of freeing slaves? Should they cough up money for black Americans? What about non-slave-owning Southern whites, who were a majority of Southern whites — should their descendants be made to pay reparations?

On black people’s side of the ledger, thorny questions arise. Some blacks purchased other blacks as a means to free family members. But other blacks owned slaves for the same reason whites owned slaves — to work farms or plantations. Would descendants of these blacks be eligible for reparations?

From Walter Williams http://walterewilliams.com/some-things-to-ponder/

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    They already collected the reparations in the form of freedom with over 500,000,000 white men dying to free the slave.......

If anyone is due reparations its the family's of the dead white men......

Ummm, the Civil War wasn’t about freeing African slaves so, no.

At any rate, this is PURELY about trying to split Trump’s supporters and galvanize the anti-Trump ranks. And if/when Trump wins the numbers of the “disaffected” can be larger.

Don’t fall for this crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The Antebellum South was DEMOCRAT-run.

Let them push thru their reparations bill. Get the money SOLELY from the Democrats.

Will kill two birds with one stone...

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The government has no money or income, all government is taxpayer funded. Are we going to go back to ancient times and get reparations for all enslaved people from every country from the beginning of slavery or is it just a black people thing in the US. Like I say, I never owned no slaves and you ain't never picked cotton. Just another way black folks think they are owed. I guess after generations of living of the government tit they trying to find another way. In reality, back then slavery was better for them here than if they had stayed in Africa. At least here they had food and a place to live and were treated better.

I think it reaching at best to suggest slavery here was better than living free anywhere.

I’d opt for freedom living anywhere to slavery anywhere as would all of us.

As for starvation... I don’t think they were starving over there until large-scale drought or warfare came to a particular region. Most slaves, if not all, were from sub-Saharan Africa so they didn’t live in arid areas.

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Long before anyone tries to pay out to a race of people, the US Federal excuse for a government needs to pay the American people reparations for all the atrocities committed upon this great country and it’s populatation. For claiming ownership of each and every person born here and demanding payment over our lifetime. For selling us out to private and foreign entities, placing control of our finances, belongings and liberties in the hands of those entities, those behind the curtains dictators that run our lives.
    These people are totally clueless as to where they are and how caught they are in it and they think they’re due some reparations...

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I think it reaching at best to suggest slavery here was better than living free anywhere.

I’d opt for freedom living anywhere to slavery anywhere as would all of us.

As for starvation... I don’t think they were starving over there until large-scale drought or warfare came to a particular region. Most slaves, if not all, were from sub-Saharan Africa so they didn’t live in arid areas.

I want to be careful not to take a position of defending the slave trade or slavery, however what I would like to point out is slavery in America, specifically pre Civil War America has been greatly exaggerated in frequency and conditions.

The slaves that came here from Africa by overwhelming majority were already slaves, both captured and bread in captivity by African Warlords. The conditions they were in were vastly worse with the traders and African Warlords than what they were with the overwhelming majority of American Slave owners. For a brief moment let’s ignore the fact that own another human being is wrong; the American slave owners provided a better life for their slaves than they would have gotten in a lot of situations they were already subject to by the circumstance of being a slave.

The concept of slavery traces back to the same two places and was spread through conquests North Africa and Mesothelioma. So you guessed it the ‘scourge of the earth’ that has effected brown people so adversely comes from brown people and has been perpetrated by in large by brown people since the dawn of civilization. But since I’m a white man and for a couple hundred years white men got in on the scam I owe brown people something?

My surname traces back to the Scottish/English border. Our genealogy shows us coming through the Carolinas and disbursing across the south east in the 1800’s. The most white pre-civil war southern family genealogy sounds similar to this. In the years leading up to the civil war the Southern families who owned slaves is probably similar to or maybe even significantly smaller than the number of modern day southern families who participate in cotillions.

I got on a bit of a rant there 991gt3 my intent was only to address the fact that freedom and starvation vs slavery was never a possibility for the slaves. It was be slaves to barbarians or slaves or people who treated them a little better.

Last edited:

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I normally try to keep my mouth shut but on this I think I have to say something.

Nowhere in the world is the progeny of someone that committed a crime responsible for that persons crime unless they had a direct hand in the crime. So with this in mind how do they expect me to pay for a possible crime my great-great-great-grandfather may or may not have done?

I also saw a meme the other day where it said that the DACA law is saying the children are not responsible for the crime of illegally entering the country and that only their parents are so they should be able to stay here yet on the other hand white people are responsible for something that happened 3 or 4 generattions ago. I could never follow their logic it is just in fashion to beat up on white men nowadays.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I normally try to keep my mouth shut but on this I think I have to say something.

Nowhere in the world is the progeny of someone that committed a crime responsible for that persons crime unless they had a direct hand in the crime. So with this in mind how do they expect me to pay for a possible crime my great-great-great-grandfather may or may not have done?

I also saw a meme the other day where it said that the DACA law is saying the children are not responsible for the crime of illegally entering the country and that only their parents are so they should be able to stay here yet on the other hand white people are responsible for something that happened 3 or 4 generattions ago. I could never follow their logic it is just in fashion to beat up on white men nowadays.

Yeah every time I try to follow their trains of thought it ends in epic derailment. That’s because they liberals do mental yoga that would pretzel the most impressive Shaolin Monk.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I want to be careful not to take a position of defending the slave trade or slavery, however what I would like to point out is slavery in America, specifically pre Civil War America has been greatly exaggerated in frequency and conditions.

I'm dying to see your citations for this statement. I spent a good bit of my history degree studying the Antebellum south, and I'd argue the opposite: that we've underestimated both the frequency and severity of slavery. Do you really want to argue that denying a person the most basic citizenship rights is somehow exaggerating conditions?

But since I’m a white man and for a couple hundred years white men got in on the scam I owe brown people something?

Actually, yes.

You're right that you and I didn't contribute directly to slavery, since neither of us were alive during (or even close to) the Antebellum era. We are, though, the beneficiaries of a social, political and economic system that favored Whites throughout most of its history.

It's very much like the frustration that many of us feel when we see the kids of wealthy politicians land fabulous jobs at stratospheric salaries, and then we're told that it's because they're smart and they earned it. By all means, convince me that Chelsea Clinton really deserves to sit on the board of Expedia ...

Now, the question of *what* we owe African Americans is far trickier, and one that I don't have any satisfactory answer to. But I think a heartfelt apology for 250+ years of systemic mistreatment would be some sort of honorable start.

Mike

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    So with this in mind how do they expect me to pay for a possible crime my great-great-great-grandfather may or may not have done?

One could no doubt argue the moral side of Slavery but it was not illegal in the states during those times until after the emancipation proclamation and 13 amendment made it so that it was illegal, unless one is convicted of a crime. So it’s actually still legal for a convicted felon(s) in the US.

https://www.ourdocuments.gov/doc.php?flash=false&doc=34

https://www.ourdocuments.gov/doc.php?flash=false&doc=40

A side thought, why is the second amendment the only amendment ever argued against as no longer being relevant, right or needed?

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    I'll be happy for my tax dollars to pay for reparations after:

1) I receive my reparations from the Government of Scotland/UK/Scottish Lairds for the "Clearances" which forced the my peasant ancestors off their ancestral lands (so they could make more money raising sheep) and into indentured servitude to pay for passage to America.

2) I receive my compensation from the Bureau of Indian Affairs and/or the Shawnee Nation for killing two of my GGGGGGrandfathers in the mid-1700's and enslaving my GGGGGrandfather from age 9-18.

This concept has been superseded by other government programs. Remember, it was President Andrew Johnson (a southern Democrat who believed the Constitution protected the right to own slaves - and he did) who cancelled the order to provide 40 acres and a mule to former slaves after the Civil War. That ship left the dock in the late 1860s. The War on Poverty, affirmative action and myriad other handouts have made the decedents of former slaves the envy of all the third world. Our definition of poverty level equals the middle class for most of Africa and a large portion of the rest of the third world.

Top Bottom