buying firearms via internet

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Peavley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2019
    Watson, LA
    I’m new to buying firearms via online forums such as this from folks I don’t know. I am concerned about the history of the gun I might be purchasing since I don’t know the individual. Along with many other concerns, such as what if the gun is not as described and does not fire when I take it to the range?
    What are some things to look out for or how can you be sure everything is safe and legal when doing a transaction with strangers?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I’m new to buying firearms via online forums such as this from folks I don’t know. I am concerned about the history of the gun I might be purchasing since I don’t know the individual. Along with many other concerns, such as what if the gun is not as described and does not fire when I take it to the range?
    What are some things to look out for or how can you be sure everything is safe and legal when doing a transaction with strangers?

A quick answer would be to not engage in a transaction with strangers. Have a dated bill of sale with a name and a verified ID/DL number. That protects you from past history and the seller from future history. If you are looking to buy a firearm on here, communicate through the site's private message system. They are all logged, even if you delete them, so any disputes can usually be avoided. This site does not want to get a bad reputation so we will ban someone who isn't playing fair. If the item isn't as described, don't buy it. If there's a problem at the range, contact the seller. If they have a decent post count, there's a good chance they are known by a few people on here and will work with you to come up with a solution.

A bill of sale and an ID are not required for private sales in Louisiana but they are strongly recommended. Besides, if someone is willing to sell a firearm to anyone and refuses to identify themselves, it make a reasonable person wonder if there is something he is trying to hide.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I also have a general rule that I won't buy from someone on here who has less than 100 posts, unless it's just a steal of a deal.

If you feel uneasy about a sale, don't do it. If you are somewhat uneasy, request that the seller meet you at a FFL and have the FFL do the transfer from them to you. Allow the FFL to look the gun over as well so you have a second set of eyes on it. If someone is unwilling to do that, absolutely avoid the sale.

Another good thing to do is request more photos be sent to you of different angles of the firearm being sold. Generally, people take photos on the same surface. It could be somewhat of a red flag if photos are taken all over the place...and could be indicative of someone googling the photo and sending it to you. If that's a concern, do a reverse image search of whatever image is sent to you.

Of course, these are all extra due diligence steps...most of our members are cool people and don't cause problems.

Beau Etienne

Take a Card. Any Card.
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    All good advice.

Meet face to face, when possible, in a relatively public space like a truck stop or strip mall. Troop I State Police allows transactions at their locations.

Be familiar with what you are purchasing or pass it up.

Unless some guarantee is specified in writing, there is none. Even if specified, beware. Be prepared to live with your decision. Even honest people are reticent to guarantee a gun that you will be shooting as anything can go wrong at any time, due to the fault of the user. In the event of a trade, the person you traded with may no longer have your trade to return. One advantage of a new purchase is the manufacture's guarantee.

Internet companies such as AIM Surplus have good reputations and are probably your best bet to start with. An FFL fee and shipping, usually totaling less than $50 is a small price to pay for piece of mind.

When trading locally, I request that both parties show LA Driver Licenses. If someone has a problem with this I would avoid the transaction.
    I have never had anyone refuse to date. Never sell or trade with someone that states they are purchasing for anyone other than themselves.

Just my two cents.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

Well lets see now,
    You just joined
    You have 4 posts
    You have NO feedback score
    Chances are I personally would not buy Jack from you on here.
    Lots of good advice posted above...Use it !

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Well lets see now,
    You just joined
    You have 4 posts
    You have NO feedback score
    Chances are I personally would not buy Jack from you on here.
    Lots of good advice posted above...Use it !

The new guy is thinking about buying a weapon on here but I think your gist still rings true. 4 posts and no feedback score, a reputable seller is going to scrutinize everything to cover his behind when selling to an unknown.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom