Glock Wins $85 Million Contract With CBP.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    CBP Awards Contract for Duty Handguns

Release Date:
    April 9, 2019
    WASHINGTON – U.S. Customs and Border Protection awarded a contract to Glock Inc. today to provide CBP law enforcement personnel the next generation standard duty handgun.
    The contract is for up to $85 million over 10 years, which includes other DHS law enforcement components that have the option to purchase duty handguns through the contract.
    CBP’s Law Enforcement Safety and Compliance Directorate led the extensive solicitation process to replace CBP’s current duty handgun.
    *This contract provides CBP law enforcement personnel the latest in handgun technology and represents our commitment to providing the highest quality use-of-force tools and equipment to our law enforcement personnel who defend America’s frontline every day,* said Deputy Commissioner Robert E. Perez.
    The solicitation process included independent performance testing by the National Institute of Justice laboratories, direct input from over 16,000 CBP law enforcement personnel and extensive field evaluations.
    With the award of this contract, CBP intends to transition all law enforcement personnel from the current .40 pistol to a 9mm pistol by the end of Fiscal Year 2021.
    As a component of CBP Operations Support, LESC’s mission is to optimize the safety and readiness, accountability, and operational performance of CBP law enforcement personnel by articulating use of force policy, establishing appropriate controls and standards and supplying the highest quality education and training, weapons and other tactical equipment.

The New CBP 9mm Glock shown had G47 on the slide which was shorter than a G34 but longer than a G17.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection just announced it awarded a contract to Glock to produce the next CBP standard-issue duty handgun. Additionally, the $85 million contract goes for more than 10 years. Further, it gives other DHS law enforcement components the option to purchase duty handguns through the contract.

CBP’s Law Enforcement Safety and Compliance Directorate led the extensive solicitation process to replace the CBP’s current duty handgun, according to an official DHS release.
    *This contract provides CBP law enforcement personnel the latest in handgun technology and represents our commitment to providing the highest quality use-of-force tools and equipment to our law enforcement personnel who defend America’s frontline every day,* said Deputy Commissioner Robert E. Perez.
    Confirmed Models
    A source close to CBP told Tactical Life that *based on the description, they picked the MOS Gen5 Glock in 9mm (models G19, G26 and G47). The duty handgun for all uniformed personnel will be the G19 and/or the G47.
    Our source stated further that CBP *is 20,000 agents, so that should make it the second-largest agency in the U.S. to carry Glock (NYPD is No. 1).*
    Currently, CBP agents carry HK P2000 handguns chambered in .40 S&W.

The solicitation process included independent performance testing by the National Institute of Justice laboratories. Also, the process included direct input from more than 16,000 CBP law enforcement personnel and extensive field evaluations. CBP intends to transition all current law enforcement form .40 S&W to 9mm pistols by the end of Fiscal Year 2021, according to DHS.
    Glock Gen 5 MOS
    The fifth generation of Glock pistols includes the addition of modular optic-ready platforms. Further, the line initially launched with the Glock 17 and 19 Gen 5 MOS pistols.
    Glock Gen 5 models are precision-machined to provide a mounting system for all popular optic sights.

Update 04/11/2019:
    New Video states the G47 uses a G17 lower on a G19 upper rail system and comes with Ameriglo BOLD night sights. The new G47 will work with a new G19 slide but will not work with a new G17 slide.
    The new G26 uses 11 round magazines and the previous 10 round magazines will not interchange. It also states the G19 and G26 have some modifications.

The CBP G47 and the CBP G19MOS share 100% parts compatibility.
    There are no current plans for a commercial release of the CBP models.
    The GLOCK G47 For CBP:
    GLOCK G17 barrel length
    G19X, G17, G34, G45 magazine compatibility
    GLOCK G17 slide is not compatible with the GLOCK G47
    Larger/longer magazine floor plate.

Last edited:

enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I hope I am not the only one to catch the error: "The New CBP 9mm Glock shown had G47 on the slide which was shorter than a G34 but longer than a G17."
    Does anyone proofread anything, anymore? I suppose pride in yourself and in your work was a passing fad that went out with cigarette commercials. So much for "close enough for government work."

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I hope I am not the only one to catch the error: "The New CBP 9mm Glock shown had G47 on the slide which was shorter than a G34 but longer than a G17."
    Does anyone proofread anything, anymore? I suppose pride in yourself and in your work was a passing fad that went out with cigarette commercials. So much for "close enough for government work."

That statement and everything below it was not part of the CBP news release.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I am really confused.

TTAG reports that the new Glock 47 was chosen by CBP, which says that "It appears to be a G45 frame with a G17L-size slide. The slide appears to be swappable with the G45. Additionally, the gun is RMR-ready."

The Glock 45 is a black plastic version of the 19X, which is a Glock 19 size slide and barrel on a frame with a Glock 17 sized grip.

If the G47 has a Glock 17 sized grip with a Glock 17L sized slide, then wouldn't that be ... a Glock 17L? What is the difference between a G17L and a G47?

The article notes that the Glock 47 frame can be used with the shorter Glock 45 slide and barrel, so I guess they just chopped a bit of plastic off of the front of the Glock 17L frame to accommodate this?

Mike

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    RalighReloader, The G47 does not have appear to have a 17L length barrel/slide. It May Be sized between a G17 and a G34 but much shorter than a G17L.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    RalighReloader, The G47 does not have appear to have a 17L length barrel/slide. It May Be sized between a G17 and a G34 but much shorter than a G17L.

That's consistent with the photos I'm seeing. Slightly longer than a 17 but shorter than a 34.

I wonder why they needed the extra half-inch? I find the differences between my 17 and my 34 to be nearly imperceptible.

Mike

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The ability to swap the slides of the G19 and G47 and vice versa meets the modularity requirement of the CBP Statement Of Work (SOW).

You can read the SOW here: CBP Statement Of Work

quote:
    2.0 SCOPE
    2.3 The family of firearms shall include three variations of sizes, with an emphasis on modularity.

2 PISTOL #1
    This pistol shall be designated as a *full size*, and shall include a full size frame and full size slide combination.

4.2.1 Height: shall not exceed 6.00 inches.
    4.2.2 Width: shall not exceed 1.50 inches.
    4.2.3 Length: shall not exceed 8.10*
    4.2.4 Weight: shall not exceed 32 ounces
    4.2.5 Barrel Length: shall be between 4.20* and 5.10*
    4.2.6 Modularity: Frame must also be compatible with slide/barrel combination from pistol #2 without adversely affecting functionality and operations of the firearm.

4.3 PISTOL #2
    This pistol shall be designated as a *mid-size*, and shall include a mid-size frame and mid-size slide combination.

4.3.1 Height: shall be between 4.75* and 5.60*
    4.3.2 Width: shall not exceed 1.50 inches.
    4.3.3 Length: shall not exceed 7.50*
    4.3.4 Weight: shall not exceed 30 ounces
    4.3.5 Barrel Length: shall be between 3.50* and 4.50*
    4.3.6 Modularity: Frame must also be compatible with slide/barrel combination from pistol #1 without adversely affecting functionality and operations of the firearm. Shall accept full size magazines (Pistol #1) without adversely affecting functionality and operation of the firearm.

4.4 PISTOL #3
    This pistol shall be designated as a *compact*, and shall include a compact frame and compact slide combination.

4.4.1 Height: shall be between 4.00* and 4.90*
    4.4.2 Width: shall not exceed 1.50 inches.
    4.4.3 Length: shall not exceed 7.00*
    4.4.4 Weight: shall not exceed 28 ounces
    4.4.5 Barrel Length: shall be between 3.00* and 3.80*
    4.4.6 Modularity: Compatibility with slide/barrel combination from pistol #2 without adversely affecting functionality and operations of the firearm is preferred but not required. Shall accept full size and mid-size magazines (Pistol #1 and Pistol #2) without adversely affecting functionality and operation of the firearm.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    That's consistent with the photos I'm seeing. Slightly longer than a 17 but shorter than a 34.

I wonder why they needed the extra half-inch? I find the differences between my 17 and my 34 to be nearly imperceptible.

Mike

New video said the slide/barrel is the same length as a G17 but a G17 slide will not work on a G47. Update in original post.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom