Open carry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • met7881

Former Yankee
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    mandeville,La.
    With concealed carry an officer can temporailry disarm you as it says in the statute. What about open carry? Can an officer temporairly disarm you in this situation if no crime is or has been committed. Just casual contact being made. I know that open carry is not probable cause for detainment. lets see where this goes

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    IF they have RAS, then they can legally detain you. If you are detained, they may disarm you "for their safety." If you pass on the street and they stop you "for the hell of it," I would think they wouldn't have cause to disarm you. PROVING that in a court of law will be the challenge for you.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    You need to define "casual contact". If they're acting in official capacity in initiating the contact, then the US Supreme Court says they can disarm you for their safety. If you just nod as pass each other on the street and they don't suspect that you have violated some law, then they probably will just leave you alone.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Best advice I’ve go is...

Act like a grownup and usually the officers will too, and treat you accordingly.

YMMV

But if you go in Wholefoods in NOLA look out for officer Bowser to tackle you. :biglaugh:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    With concealed carry an officer can temporailry disarm you as it says in the statute. What about open carry? Can an officer temporairly disarm you in this situation if no crime is or has been committed. Just casual contact being made. I know that open carry is not probable cause for detainment. lets see where this goes

Maybe. The standard isn't whether there is or has been criminal activity. The standard is if there is reasonable suspicion to believe there is or has been criminal activity. And as has been pointed out, one's definition of "casual contact" could affect the answer as well.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I’m sure he’s a good guy, but as screw ups go, that was about as big as one could hope for and not have casualties. I’ll try to refrain from poking fun in the future.

It doesn't bother me. He was an associate, not a friend. I'm not defending or condemning his actions but I would bet he believed was he did was the right thing to do.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    It doesn't bother me. He was an associate, not a friend. I'm not defending or condemning his actions but I would bet he believed was he did was the right thing to do.

I agree. I don’t know the guy, but I’m sure he’s a good guy, and we all have moments where we overreact, and sometimes we are unlucky and they are made public.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I know they make concealed carry badges. Maybe there is a open carry badge. A nice gold one would probably put any LEO at ease if they observe a open carry situation.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yeah...a badge that anyone can purchase without providing any credentials and that also, coincidentally, looks like a police badge? What could go wrong with that? I can't think of a single legitimate reason someone would choose to carry a concealed carry badge. It won't someone in a self defense situation when they end up in court. In fact, it could easily be argued the person went looking for a fight because they are a vigilante wannabe cop. Or it someone accidentally flashes it during some disagreement. Now there's the possibility of another person thinking that person is implying they're a cop. So the badge just earned someone an impersonating a police officer charge. But, hey, it's not my money.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    I know they make concealed carry badges. Maybe there is a open carry badge. A nice gold one would probably put any LEO at ease if they observe a open carry situation.

My favorite open carry badge has the outer banner stating "Looky Looky I have a gun"
    With the badge statement "Shoot me first"

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I can't think of a single legitimate reason someone would choose to carry a concealed carry badge.

I can. They want to pretend to be the police and hope that their "badge" passes them off as such.

I sometimes open carry (without a "badge") and I've never had an issue. The biggest problem I can think of was a half-hour conversation with a police officer talking about the trigger reset on the M&P versus the Glock. Pretty good problem to have.

Mike

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I can't think of a single legitimate reason someone would choose to carry a concealed carry badge.

I can. They want to pretend to be the police and hope that their "badge" passes them off as such.

I sometimes open carry (without a "badge") and I've never had an issue. The biggest problem I can think of was a half-hour conversation with a police officer talking about the trigger reset on the M&P versus the Glock. Pretty good problem to have.

We may have different definitions of legitimate. The badge is supposed to signify the person has a Concealed Handgun Permit. Know what else signifies that? The Concealed Handgun Permit.

A lot of cops are pretty cool about someone exercising their 2nd Amendment rights. But if someone is nervous about legally carrying around a cop, there's a chance the cop will pick up on that nervousness. Then the cop now has to evaluate if source of the nervousness is because of illegal activity or intentions.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    The badge thing was total sarcasm. That has to be the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. I can’t believe they are even sold. This thread is going to be epic. This dead horse has bees dig up again and it never disappoints. ;)

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The badge thing was total sarcasm. That has to be the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. I can’t believe they are even sold. This thread is going to be epic. This dead horse has bees dig up again and it never disappoints. ;)

I took it as sarcasm. If I thought you were serious about it, is have been a little more tactful about calling the idea stupid.

I know the open carry thing has come up several times in my relatively short time here. Has the badge thing been beat to death too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I took it as sarcasm. If I thought you were serious about it, is have been a little more tactful about calling the idea stupid.

I know the open carry thing has come up several times in my relatively short time here. Has the badge thing been beat to death too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not sure about the badge issue but the whole interaction with LE seems to have been covered. Where is Nolacop when we need him? Lol

Top Bottom