4 person or 6 person tent?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beau Etienne

Take a Card. Any Card.
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    Ease of set-up should also be of primary concern.
    If it were me I would have a six person. When it starts to rain you have room for an ice chest, a chair and your sleeping bag. Having room for a camp toilet is also a plus.

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    How many people and what weather conditions? My elk hunt experience was smaller tent means your body heat can heat it up. If only Deep South then bigger is better...and I am not an expert!

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Use should dictate need. We use an 8 person tent for two. We can stand up anywhere in it, set up cots, set up chairs... Works well.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    I agree with others, bigger is better, and I usually pitch a fly then set up the tent under it, gives extra protection in case of rain or dew and a place to cook/lounge out of the rain or direct sun.

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    I say if you are transporting in your car and size and weight is not an issue then go bigger. I went camping with my son for Boy Scouts and it is so much nicer to have some space to move around and store things in your tent when I went with a bigger tent.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    We use a 10 person tent for our family of 5. We have plenty of room inside for everything we need. I would also suggest a fly/large tarp setup outside to lounge/cook under during hot days. I agree if you are carrying it in the car and have the space to set it up go bigger.

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Buy a tent based on the weather you will use it in, first and first mostly.

Our family tent is a Bushel 6 person tent for a family of 4. It’s got a 72” ceiling so I can reasonably stand up in it. We do a queen and a double air mattress and have room for our packs and other gear we want to bring in.

Last edited:

marinetaco01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Madsionville, LA
    Just recently picked up a Big Agnes Tensleep Station 6 after sifting through hundreds of tents. Because it's a base camp/car camp set up I wasn't worried about weight so went with a little extra room.

There are so many good options out there and feature sets are all over the place.

Top Bottom