Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 1 of 15 1211 ... LastLast
    All or nothing

User Info Menu

Traffic question for LEO’s

So for the past several years I’ve noticed a very regular occurrence at a few of the interstate off and on ramps around Hammond where 2 or more state troopers will stop traffic to check for seatbelts or inspection stickers or likely whatever else they can write someone for. Yesterday my neighbor’s kid who’s attending college was stopped at one and written for either an inspection sticker or plate sticker and her dad is asking me if the stop is even legal. I’ve always thought that they need probable cause to stop you and write a ticket and that a roadblock type stop is not a legal stop so that’s what I told him. He mentioned going to court which I personally think is a waste of time due to the nature of this type of activity being a revenue generator and how officials may tend to rub things in when you disagree, often times costing a person more money.
    Can anyone here give a definitive answer as to the legality of the stop and the ticket and whether he has any chance of recourse in court?
    He seems pretty adamant about fighting it due to principle, which I support and commend. I stopped giving to the state troopers every year for just such waste of resources and petty taxation.
    Contrary to popular belief, a head shot is not necessarily a guaranteed kill shot....but it sure does take the fight out of 'em.

and if one in every 100,000,000 M&M's contained enough cyanide to kill a person, the Mars candy company would be forced by public outcry to correct it———
    Bangswitch

Marksman

User Info Menu

Both of those violations are easy to see and standing on an off ramp looking for violations is perfectly legal. His son obviously violated the law and was cited for it. Not seeing what he plans on fighting in court but that is definitely his right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Censored by "them"

Marksman

User Info Menu

The stop is legal.

Marksman

User Info Menu

It is legal. They have to stop every car, not just those they feel like stopping. Why would they do such a high profile activity if it was illegal?

All or nothing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Barry J View Post
    It is legal. They have to stop every car, not just those they feel like stopping. Why would they do such a high profile activity if it was illegal?
    Apparently there are other guidelines that I’ve never seen them follow as well and as I said, I see this frequently in the same couple of areas in Hammond. There’s always that frown factor for me when I see it. I’ve read some laws regarding checkpoint type stops and they’re not following the law.
    Contrary to popular belief, a head shot is not necessarily a guaranteed kill shot....but it sure does take the fight out of 'em.

and if one in every 100,000,000 M&M's contained enough cyanide to kill a person, the Mars candy company would be forced by public outcry to correct it———
    Bangswitch

Go away,Batin...

User Info Menu

It’s not s checkpoint it’s s foot patrol. There’s no law that says you have to sit in your unit to work traffic
    I'm just a Redneck with too many guns.

Marksman

User Info Menu

It rubs me the wrong way when a motorcycle cop writes a seatbelt ticket.
    Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't.

Tim

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Akajun View Post
    It’s not s checkpoint it’s s foot patrol. There’s no law that says you have to sit in your unit to work traffic
    Exactly. Violations are easily seen on foot in the locations mentioned.

Censored by "them"

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrummer View Post
    It rubs me the wrong way when a motorcycle cop writes a seatbelt ticket.
    I’ll bite. Why?

Censored by "them"

Marksman

User Info Menu

In Texas it’s legal to ride in back of a pick-up. But at the same time the driver can be written for no seatbelt. That’s one I really don’t get. Seatbelts keep you in the vehicle because there is room to live in a accident. Keeps you from being ejected and possibly run over by others or your own car. I would like to see restraints on bikes to do the same. Cop motorcycles should be the first to lead by example.
    Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't.

Tim