Traffic question for LEO’s

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    So for the past several years I’ve noticed a very regular occurrence at a few of the interstate off and on ramps around Hammond where 2 or more state troopers will stop traffic to check for seatbelts or inspection stickers or likely whatever else they can write someone for. Yesterday my neighbor’s kid who’s attending college was stopped at one and written for either an inspection sticker or plate sticker and her dad is asking me if the stop is even legal. I’ve always thought that they need probable cause to stop you and write a ticket and that a roadblock type stop is not a legal stop so that’s what I told him. He mentioned going to court which I personally think is a waste of time due to the nature of this type of activity being a revenue generator and how officials may tend to rub things in when you disagree, often times costing a person more money.
    Can anyone here give a definitive answer as to the legality of the stop and the ticket and whether he has any chance of recourse in court?
    He seems pretty adamant about fighting it due to principle, which I support and commend. I stopped giving to the state troopers every year for just such waste of resources and petty taxation.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Both of those violations are easy to see and standing on an off ramp looking for violations is perfectly legal. His son obviously violated the law and was cited for it. Not seeing what he plans on fighting in court but that is definitely his right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    It is legal. They have to stop every car, not just those they feel like stopping. Why would they do such a high profile activity if it was illegal?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    It is legal. They have to stop every car, not just those they feel like stopping. Why would they do such a high profile activity if it was illegal?
    Apparently there are other guidelines that I’ve never seen them follow as well and as I said, I see this frequently in the same couple of areas in Hammond. There’s always that frown factor for me when I see it. I’ve read some laws regarding checkpoint type stops and they’re not following the law.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    It’s not s checkpoint it’s s foot patrol. There’s no law that says you have to sit in your unit to work traffic

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    It’s not s checkpoint it’s s foot patrol. There’s no law that says you have to sit in your unit to work traffic

Exactly. Violations are easily seen on foot in the locations mentioned.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    In Texas it’s legal to ride in back of a pick-up. But at the same time the driver can be written for no seatbelt. That’s one I really don’t get. Seatbelts keep you in the vehicle because there is room to live in a accident. Keeps you from being ejected and possibly run over by others or your own car. I would like to see restraints on bikes to do the same. Cop motorcycles should be the first to lead by example.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    He needs to spend his time and money getting the kids vehicle street legal or teach him to wear his seat belt. And LSP doesn't get that ticket money.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Saw this guy in Houma the other day. Wonder if he wonders why he gets stopped?

66qfehl8jfxzifot743v.jpg

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Well, it gotta be = because they don't have a seatbelt on their bike.. I enjoyed the years Mike Foster was gov.

But on a motorcycle the safest thing is to be away from the motorcycle during a crash but In a car the safest place is inside. I also didn’t agree with the no helmet law. Some people need the Govt to help keep them safe as sad as that is.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I go through those exit ramp patrols all the time and they glance at my inspection sticker and see its legal and wave me on through. Rarely do we even exchange words other than a nod.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom