Traffic question for LEO’s

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    How do we know the two troopers hanging out on an on ramp are making ot? If they are, I would have to agree that it is a waste of ot.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    How do we know the two troopers hanging out on an on ramp are making ot? If they are, I would have to agree that it is a waste of ot.
    I was talking to an LSP officer who happened to be one of my friends relatives. I know he worked the detail, my friend and I worked together and were getting on I55 when we stopped to say hey while he was on the detail. We saw one another from time to time unofficially.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

As was stated before, there are a number of OT details with money earmarked for a specific type of enforcement, MVI, seatbelts, underage drinking. That means the officers primary focus while working those details is the targeted enforcement. If they don't work in that targeted enforcement, the money for the detail goes away. The cops can't use that money and work OT anywhere else. So while it may seem there are better things to spend that money on, there isn't. In those cases, it's either that (and any good, however small it may be, that comes from it) or nothing.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    As was stated before, there are a number of OT details with money earmarked for a specific type of enforcement, MVI, seatbelts, underage drinking. That means the officers primary focus while working those details is the targeted enforcement. If they don't work in that targeted enforcement, the money for the detail goes away. The cops can't use that money and work OT anywhere else. So while it may seem there are better things to spend that money on, there isn't. In those cases, it's either that (and any good, however small it may be, that comes from it) or nothing.

Thats why every election is important. It’s great to earmark money for you guys to get OT, but for that task seems ridiculous to me. But we get what we vote for we just don’t always realize it.

Thats a concept that transcends state, parish/county, city, town, village, country.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thats why every election is important. It’s great to earmark money for you guys to get OT, but for that task seems ridiculous to me. But we get what we vote for we just don’t always realize it.

Thats a concept that transcends state, parish/county, city, town, village, country.

I get why the task seems ridiculous to you. But those details aren't mandatory. So when you see 2 cops out there, there are at least 2 cops who don't find it ridiculous to write tickets for a few hours to people who are breaking the law. And if they are state troopers, they recently got a huge raise. They had to leave civil service to get it and their retirement system will be overburdened in a few years but that's a different discussion. They're doing pretty well right now with their paychecks. So it's possible their motivation for working the details isn't just the need for more money.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I don't ride anymore but spent the first 40 years riding dirt and Street bikes and never had to be told to wear a helmet ,I never had to be told to wear a seatbelt either ,I would not have a problem with others not wanting belt or helmets if it were not for the fact their sever injuries that could have been lessened Jack my insurance rates up . I do have to be reminded to get new tags or vehicle inspection though and just hearing Leo are out checking them makes me and hundreds more procrastinators stop and check the expiration date . Of course if you haven't heard they are checking and get a ticket that sucks but it does have a purpose other than writing tickets . I also wonder how many times they happen upon a drunk driver or drugs are discovered while discussing the expired sticker .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

This guy gets it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    What is the source of funds for the ot? I thought most ot was for enforcing hazardous violations. The feds don't care about MVI stickers, their programs are for dwi and speeding. The LSP probably doesn't have them money in their budget for ot. The LACE program is mostly for hazardous violations. Why pay two troopers ot to write mvi tickets and to probably not prosecute the ticket once the violator gets a new sticker?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    And maybe some are confused on how this grants work. You are usually given “x” number of hours to work targeting seatbelt violations or whatever. Most agencies don’t mandate where to patrol but the LEO in the area know where the most violations pass through. Most of the time the safest place and easiest place to do those types of enforcement is where traffic bottlenecks or slows. It’s hard to get a seatbelt violation or MVI sitting on the side of the interstate with traffic going 70mph.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    What is the source of funds for the ot? I thought most ot was for enforcing hazardous violations. The feds don't care about MVI stickers, their programs are for dwi and speeding. The LSP probably doesn't have them money in their budget for ot. The LACE program is mostly for hazardous violations. Why pay two troopers ot to write mvi tickets and to probably not prosecute the ticket once the violator gets a new sticker?

Most are federal grants run by the state.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Man I’m really gonna have to ignore this source for any further LEO questions. You guys are a touchy bunch! Take that any way you want..
    As stated, goalposts unmoving, I’m just trying to ascertain whether the guy will have a chance in court. I’ve found some information regarding the law that, given the situation with these particular stops, makes me think he might. My personal feelings do go past that as I feel the way they set up these STOPS makes me more than uncomfortable. I’ve never gotten a ticket for expired anything because I keep my papers and insurance current like most responsible people. And I hear the ‘beat patrol just happened to notice’ arguments but nah, nope...the last one I drove up on stopped the flow of traffic completely. The very short offramp was full to overflowing onto I-55 exit 28 and did in fact cause unsafe conditions. 2 troopers working it. The loop is nearly completely unseen due to trees so a driver doesn’t see any problem until they’re on top of the problem. I think it’s very poor judgement on any enforcer’s part to choose any sort of tactical advantage on a roadway over the safety of every person driving through. Shucks, maybe if an officer gets run over or pinned between some vehicles the city will wise up.
    I’d like to see them move their BS to a safer area, so my interest in my neighbor’s plight is not completely neutral, but anyone here that wants to throw out that ‘just do as your told and follow orders and have your papers because we run the show like it or not’ crap can just go stir the dust elsewhere.
    Just a random thought tho, once a person works as a LEO for a few years and becomes fully indoctrinated into the police state (of mind), how in the world do they survive if they lose the badge and suddenly are thrust into civilian status?

Personally I think Bangswitch hit it on the head with a lot of his posts.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    And maybe some are confused on how this grants work. You are usually given *x* number of hours to work targeting seatbelt violations or whatever. Most agencies don’t mandate where to patrol but the LEO in the area know where the most violations pass through. Most of the time the safest place and easiest place to do those types of enforcement is where traffic bottlenecks or slows. It’s hard to get a seatbelt violation or MVI sitting on the side of the interstate with traffic going 70mph.

We have a winner! The safety of all involved can not be discounted. This is the best explanation on this thread as to why that is a good location that kind of enforcement.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What is the source of funds for the ot? I thought most ot was for enforcing hazardous violations. The feds don't care about MVI stickers, their programs are for dwi and speeding. The LSP probably doesn't have them money in their budget for ot. The LACE program is mostly for hazardous violations.

The feds programs cover more than two areas.

Why pay two troopers ot to write mvi tickets and to probably not prosecute the ticket once the violator gets a new sticker?

Because the goal is public safety, not money revenue.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Man I’m really gonna have to ignore this source for any further LEO questions. You guys are a touchy bunch! Take that any way you want..
    As stated, goalposts unmoving, I’m just trying to ascertain whether the guy will have a chance in court. I’ve found some information regarding the law that, given the situation with these particular stops, makes me think he might. My personal feelings do go past that as I feel the way they set up these STOPS makes me more than uncomfortable. I’ve never gotten a ticket for expired anything because I keep my papers and insurance current like most responsible people. And I hear the ‘beat patrol just happened to notice’ arguments but nah, nope...the last one I drove up on stopped the flow of traffic completely. The very short offramp was full to overflowing onto I-55 exit 28 and did in fact cause unsafe conditions. 2 troopers working it. The loop is nearly completely unseen due to trees so a driver doesn’t see any problem until they’re on top of the problem. I think it’s very poor judgement on any enforcer’s part to choose any sort of tactical advantage on a roadway over the safety of every person driving through. Shucks, maybe if an officer gets run over or pinned between some vehicles the city will wise up.
    I’d like to see them move their BS to a safer area, so my interest in my neighbor’s plight is not completely neutral, but anyone here that wants to throw out that ‘just do as your told and follow orders and have your papers because we run the show like it or not’ crap can just go stir the dust elsewhere.
    Just a random thought tho, once a person works as a LEO for a few years and becomes fully indoctrinated into the police state (of mind), how in the world do they survive if they lose the badge and suddenly are thrust into civilian status?

Sorry you didn't get the answers you wanted. And I'm sorry the cops make you uncomfortable. We're not saying do what you're told like it or not. If you don't agree with the laws, work to change the laws. They are your laws. The cops are only here to enforce your laws. They don't create them nor do they punish people for violating them. Their job is to put the violators in front of a judge. You can call that a stop if you'd like. But if the cops are looking at your tag, something in plain view, and there's ne invasive search, good luck in court. I've already explained the best way to fight it. Get the issues corrected before court. But if you've found a better plan, rock on with your bad self.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Personally, I think seat belt laws and helmet laws are bad policy. We should not be interfering with the Laws of Natural Selection......

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

So a bunch of us didn’t pile on and agree that the LEOs were in the wrong so you are taking your ball and going home, sorry but I’m not shocked. I answered the question in post #2. It’s hard to fight a violation that can be easily seen and is in black and white(the date), or easily seen with the naked eye from outside the vehicle. Hopefully another group will be better suited for you to play ball with.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    So a bunch of us didn’t pile on and agree that the LEOs were in the wrong so you are taking your ball and going home, sorry but I’m not shocked. I answered the question in post #2. It’s hard to fight a violation that can be easily seen and is in black and white(the date), or easily seen with the naked eye from outside the vehicle. Hopefully another group will be better suited for you to play ball with.

Disregard this. I believe it was Magpul who blocked me so he probably didn’t see my post.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

I don't think he's blocked me. Yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Top Bottom