What Gun Should I Get for My New Baby Grandson?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Yesterday afternoon we welcomed into this world my fist baby Grandson. Over thirty years ago when my son was born on the day of his birth I went to Puglia's and bought him a Browning BPS in 20 gauge. When I went back to the hospital that evening to have the steak dinner with my wife I brought a Browning catalog and as I was holding him I pulled out the catalog and showed him what I bought for him that day. My wife laughed and thought I was crazy. I want to get my first Grandson a firearm for him from me for him to do whatever he chooses to do with when he grows up. Hopefully he keeps it and cherishes it forever.
    I'm just undecided what to get for him.

Any suggestions?

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Yesterday afternoon we welcomed into this world my fist baby Grandson. Over thirty years ago when my son was born on the day of his birth I went to Puglia's and bought him a Browning BPS in 20 gauge. When I went back to the hospital that evening to have the steak dinner with my wife I brought a Browning catalog and as I was holding him I pulled out the catalog and showed him what I bought for him that day. My wife laughed and thought I was crazy. I want to get my first Grandson a firearm for him from me for him to do whatever he chooses to do with when he grows up. Hopefully he keeps it and cherishes it forever.
    I'm just undecided what to get for him.

Any suggestions?

Well first off congratulations on the grandson. I’m a little older than your son and have a few rug-rats. My oldest is about to be six and to date she has a pink red rider, that I bought her 3 Christmas’s ago. She has loved it from day one. We are currently considering the next step. Next year I think she will deer hunt with an AR pistol and a red dot.

So back to the question. I honestly don’t know what I would suggest. Something he could use as a small child, and also grow up and still value as a gown man. I don’t get the same nostalgia feeling out of my AR’s that I do from my old wood stock 30-06 my grandpa gave me, so what about a TC Encore or some other single shot switch barrel?

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    Got mine a Ruger 10/22 the day after he was born. He's 18 now I don't think he would part with it for anything.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I like the Golden Boy Idea!
    Not something he'd probably use until he grows into it but I'm really liking the Smith & Wesson Model 63 .22/32 Kit Gun. Definitely something he could use as an adult and pass down to his children. Still trying to decide though.

lesgeaux

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Marrero, LA
    Possibly a good choice, Marlin XT-22YR, a nice youth sized 22 bolt gun, comes with 7 round mag and a single shot adapter.

These are real nice and starting out with the single shot is a good way to work on markmanship before the rapid fire we all like to do every now and then.
    Good luck in your search.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    +1 for th Henry. That’s a great idea

You should also consider a modern sporting rifle, an AR, as they may not be available for sale in his lifetime.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    +1 for th Henry. That’s a great idea

You should also consider a modern sporting rifle, an AR, as they may not be available for sale in his lifetime.

Good point about the AR’s I had only considered the appreciation I feel for different guns I own. My AR’s are my favorite to shoot but if you asked me about a special gun I own it’s the Model Six my grandpa gave me. If AR’s and parts to build them were no longer sold and my grandpa had given me one at birth my opinion may be quite different. Taking this into consideration maybe I will build you kids their own AR’s.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I'm pretty sure this whole idea is considered child abuse, these days, and you will surely be arrested the second you step in the hospital with a picture of the firearm... Or just with the thought running around in your head. :dogkeke:

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    Just wondering what an AR will have evolved to by the time he really gets old enough to enjoy it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Layne Zulke from right here in Baton Rouge is an award winning Master Engraver from the Engravers Guild of America.

Layne's engraving work on guns is off the charts! He has a webpage and is on FB if you want to look him up.

I can get you in touch with him if you like-PM me.

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I bought an engraved knife with my grandsons name from Randall Knives and it took about 4 years to get here. Made a nice display from a deer antler for the knife.

Last edited:

Rusty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2015
    Amite, la
    When my son was born I bought him a classic Henry lever action in 22. I know from experience little boys can be rough on guns especially trying to retrieve the squirrel that fell in a briar patch.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    My vote is basically anything in .22LR... Whether you're 8 or 80, its easy to manage due to low recoil, its an affordable and timeless round, and lets be honest... They are just simply fun to shoot...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom