Motorcycle in Walmart - New Iberia

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I disagree, that it would be a difficult shot. If I were on an isle, and he was headed directly for me, it's an easy shot. He's canalized in the isle, and I only have to concern myself with placing the shot. He can't swerve, or dodge. Close your eyes and picture someone coming at you in a store isle. The target is just getting larger.

If he were headed at me, I'd consider it a lethal threat, just as a cop would consider it a lethal threat if someone drove a car at him/her.

I'd pop the guy in the chest a couple of times, then worry about getting out of the way of the motorcycle.

The exception would be if there were others around me that might get hurt by the motorcycle after the guy looses control.

If that were the case, I'd try to get them out of the center of the isle, and shield them.

But if I'm alone in the isle, . . . pop, pop.

Lol, ok. I can’t ever recall an officer shooting someone on a motorcycle in my 20+ years of experience. Not saying it hasn’t happened but comparing this scenario to an LEO in a pursuit or trying to arrest someone is not gonna work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Lol, ok. I can’t ever recall an officer shooting someone on a motorcycle in my 20+ years of experience. Not saying it hasn’t happened but comparing this scenario to an LEO in a pursuit or trying to arrest someone is not gonna work.

Nowhere in my post did I compare this scenario to one of an LEO in pursuit, or attempting to make an arrest.

What I did state, is that I would consider someone driving a motorcycle at me to be a justifiable use of deadly force. I would imagine that several hundreds of pounds of motorcycle, traveling at a high rate of speed, would cause me grievous bodily harm, or death, on impact with my old, gimpy body.

There might have been a day when I thought
    a motorcycle would just bounce off of me, or that I could have the reactions to hit a kill switch, or some such. Those days are past. I'm old. I'm gimpy, and I'm not going to let some yahoo on a motorcycle make my wife a widow.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I disagree, that it would be a difficult shot. If I were on an isle, and he was headed directly for me, it's an easy shot. He's canalized in the isle, and I only have to concern myself with placing the shot. He can't swerve, or dodge. Close your eyes and picture someone coming at you in a store isle. The target is just getting larger.

If he were headed at me, I'd consider it a lethal threat, just as a cop would consider it a lethal threat if someone drove a car at him/her.

I'd pop the guy in the chest a couple of times, then worry about getting out of the way of the motorcycle.

The exception would be if there were others around me that might get hurt by the motorcycle after the guy looses control.

If that were the case, I'd try to get them out of the center of the isle, and shield them.

But if I'm alone in the isle, . . . pop, pop.

A number of agencies frown upon shooting the driver of a moving vehicle unless absolutely necessary. And it would difficult for a civilian to argue lethal threat from a moving vehicle when they knowingly place themselves in front of the vehicle for the purpose of labeling the moving vehicle a lethal threat.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Anyone else long for the days where this was a Walmart story that made the news?

DAIVXXRW0AA5GEF.jpg

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    A number of agencies frown upon shooting the driver of a moving vehicle unless absolutely necessary. And it would difficult for a civilian to argue lethal threat from a moving vehicle when they knowingly place themselves in front of the vehicle for the purpose of labeling the moving vehicle a lethal threat.

Please explain how moving vehicles are not lethal to civilians, but they are to officers.

https://www.nytimes.com/1989/01/20/us/attorney-for-miami-officer-calls-shooting-self-defense.html

As for 'knowingly placing' myself in front of a moving vehicle. If I am in a grocery store isle, with a moving vehicle coming at me, with my mobility related disability, how am I expected to get out of it's way? Do I even have a duty to attempt to get out of it's way?

An isle in Sprawl Mart is, what, 8-10 feet wide? I'm like two feet wide. A motorcycle is, what, about three feet wide? Assuming I'm on one side, or the other, with nobody else in the isle, Two plus three is five, from eight feet wide, leaves a margin of error of three feet he can miss me by. Now, I've got to assume, that if he is riding a motorcycle INSIDE of a Sprawl-Mart, he's probably high on something.
    Can I, reasonably expect an impaired driver, traveling at a high rate of speed, on a waxed floor, to miss me entirely?
    Would you?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Please explain how moving vehicles are not lethal to civilians, but they are to officers.

https://www.nytimes.com/1989/01/20/us/attorney-for-miami-officer-calls-shooting-self-defense.html

As for 'knowingly placing' myself in front of a moving vehicle. If I am in a grocery store isle, with a moving vehicle coming at me, with my mobility related disability, how am I expected to get out of it's way? Do I even have a duty to attempt to get out of it's way?

An isle in Sprawl Mart is, what, 8-10 feet wide? I'm like two feet wide. A motorcycle is, what, about three feet wide? Assuming I'm on one side, or the other, with nobody else in the isle, Two plus three is five, from eight feet wide, leaves a margin of error of three feet he can miss me by. Now, I've got to assume, that if he is riding a motorcycle INSIDE of a Sprawl-Mart, he's probably high on something.
    Can I, reasonably expect an impaired driver, traveling at a high rate of speed, on a waxed floor, to miss me entirely?
    Would you?

I quickly looked through the article and found too few details to make a comparison to this situation. And a big difference between a civilian and an officer is the officer has arrest powers. So in the performance of his duties, he may have to place himself in a position that a civilian would reasonably not place himself in.

As an officer, I have been trained to move out of the way if possible. The only time I'm trained to shoot the driver of a moving car is if I cannot move out of the way or if it's reasonable to believe not shooting the driver would create a more dangerous situation than shooting him would. Not a potentially dangerous situation. An actual dangerous situation. Shooting the driver does not immediately stop the vehicle.

Yes, you can expect the motorcycle to miss you. A vehicle travels along one axis. He can turn but only so fast. On foot, you are able to move on an axis perpendicular to the direction of the moving vehicle. The time it would take for you to draw, get a good enough sight picture, and shoot is enough time for you to move to side and out of the aisle. If there's not enough time for you to move out of the way, it's doubtful you would have time to see the threat, recognize it as a threat, react to the threat by drawing a concealed weapon, get a good sight picture while considering anyone behind the threat, and placing a well placed shot. And even if you are able to do that. You have now turned a 700 pound object traveling along a predictable path into a 700 pound object traveling along an unpredictable path, increasing the likelihood you will be hit

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I quickly looked through the article and found too few details to make a comparison to this situation. And a big difference between a civilian and an officer is the officer has arrest powers. So in the performance of his duties, he may have to place himself in a position that a civilian would reasonably not place himself in.

As an officer, I have been trained to move out of the way if possible. The only time I'm trained to shoot the driver of a moving car is if I cannot move out of the way or if it's reasonable to believe not shooting the driver would create a more dangerous situation than shooting him would. Not a potentially dangerous situation. An actual dangerous situation. Shooting the driver does not immediately stop the vehicle.

Yes, you can expect the motorcycle to miss you. A vehicle travels along one axis. He can turn but only so fast. On foot, you are able to move on an axis perpendicular to the direction of the moving vehicle. The time it would take for you to draw, get a good enough sight picture, and shoot is enough time for you to move to side and out of the aisle. If there's not enough time for you to move out of the way, it's doubtful you would have time to see the threat, recognize it as a threat, react to the threat by drawing a concealed weapon, get a good sight picture while considering anyone behind the threat, and placing a well placed shot. And even if you are able to do that. You have now turned a 700 pound object traveling along a predictable path into a 700 pound object traveling along an unpredictable path, increasing the likelihood you will be hit

He’s not going to get it. It’s apparently hard for him to differentiate the responsibilities of a LEO vs the responsibility of a civilian with a firearm. He will only learn when he is in court being grilled by an attorney.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Nowhere in my post did I compare this scenario to one of an LEO in pursuit, or attempting to make an arrest.

What I did state, is that I would consider someone driving a motorcycle at me to be a justifiable use of deadly force. I would imagine that several hundreds of pounds of motorcycle, traveling at a high rate of speed, would cause me grievous bodily harm, or death, on impact with my old, gimpy body.

There might have been a day when I thought
    a motorcycle would just bounce off of me, or that I could have the reactions to hit a kill switch, or some such. Those days are past. I'm old. I'm gimpy, and I'm not going to let some yahoo on a motorcycle make my wife a widow.

00818fa98c9af3cfaf772ac926106cd3.jpg

If that wasn’t your intention then I might ask why introduce a LEO into the discussion?

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Double yellow lines throughout the store would solve anyone being hit. Traffic lights, stop signs, yield, one way...etc. maybe some Check points.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    He’s not going to get it. It’s apparently hard for him to differentiate the responsibilities of a LEO vs the responsibility of a civilian with a firearm. He will only learn when he is in court being grilled by an attorney.

I know. I guess I never learn, no matter how many times you remind me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Do I even have a duty to attempt to get out of it's way?

Would you?

I've bolded two sentences, above.

1) Yes. Firing at the driver doesn't stop the object "traveling at a high rate of speed."
    2) Yes. You should be able to outmaneuver an impaired driver in an aisle.

If the driver is moving at a high rate of speed, you aren't drawing, acquiring a target, and hitting the target before he is past you. Aisles in stores aren't long enough. If you have enough time to draw, aim, and hit the target, you have enough time to move out of the aisle.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I was in Denham Springs Walmart this afternoon. There was a woman and young boy at the gun counter looking at something and talking to two Walmart females.

I had my back to them looking a some other stuff when one females called for Mr. Somebody (can't remember the name) no answer from him. Then I hear her yell GUN. Of course then.
    Seems like she wanted Mr. Somebody to come to check out the gun or something. I explained to her how stupid it was in this day and age to yell GUN in a store or anywhere else.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I've bolded two sentences, above.

1) Yes. Firing at the driver doesn't stop the object "traveling at a high rate of speed."
    2) Yes. You should be able to outmaneuver an impaired driver in an aisle.

If the driver is moving at a high rate of speed, you aren't drawing, acquiring a target, and hitting the target before he is past you. Aisles in stores aren't long enough. If you have enough time to draw, aim, and hit the target, you have enough time to move out of the aisle.

Where is Mr. Bill Drills. He probably could with his carbine length 5.56 with a can on the end. :mamoru:

Last edited:

Kuffaar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2019
    Lafayette
    Well in a hypothetical senecio I would run to the camping section. Then grab some 550 chord run back to the main isle that he is riding up and down. Grab 2 shopping cards put one on each side of the isle out of view. Tie the chord to each cart leaving just a little slack and hope that the assistant doesn’t see it and wait for the next pass he does. Hopefully the chord will wrap inside the front wheel causing the carts to crab trap on him. At that point when he is wrapped up. I then would remove the rider and use my belt to hog tie him. At that point I would then stand on top the bike and rider putting my hands up awaiting applause from the spectators.
    Then next I would wake up from my day dream and grab a cup of coffee and watch this jackass while filming with my iPhone and laughing hysterically at his stupidity.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Well in a hypothetical senecio I would run to the camping section. Then grab some 550 chord run back to the main isle that he is riding up and down. Grab 2 shopping cards put one on each side of the isle out of view. Tie the chord to each cart leaving just a little slack and hope that the assistant doesn’t see it and wait for the next pass he does. Hopefully the chord will wrap inside the front wheel causing the carts to crab trap on him. At that point when he is wrapped up. I then would remove the rider and use my belt to hog tie him. At that point I would then stand on top the bike and rider putting my hands up awaiting applause from the spectators.
    Then next I would wake up from my day dream and grab a cup of coffee and watch this jackass while filming with my iPhone and laughing hysterically at his stupidity.

Thats the ticket!!! Beats shooting willy-nilly in a store,Like the devious plan of yours!!!

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Well that was fun.:rofl:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.

Pretty good.
    In the movie I would somehow work in a wheelie and some store brand oil. Then either a ratchet strap, bungee cords or some pallet wrap.
    Just depends on what ties in with the hero phrase.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom