IAC 1897

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunner106

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Picked up an awesome Trench version of IAC’s 1897 and besides the basic functions of racking/clearing/firing, I am not quite sure what each of the three little buttons on the receiver do.

Any knowledge that you guys are willing to share on the shotgun would be much appreciated. It’s a great shooter and I would very much enjoy getting to know it more.

Being able to rapidly fire this thing is awesome, too!

Thanks

Attachments

• 5FC5AFE4-7327-4271-B151-0FAD4ADC953B.jpg
      5FC5AFE4-7327-4271-B151-0FAD4ADC953B.jpg
      236.7 KB · Views: 261
    Last edited:

aladner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    gulfport ms
    Picked up an awesome Trench version of IAC’s 1897 and besides the basic functions of racking/clearing/firing, I am not quite sure what each of the three little buttons on the receiver do.

Any knowledge that you guys are willing to share on the shotgun would be much appreciated. It’s a great shooter and I would very much enjoy getting to know it more.

Being able to rapidly fire this thing is awesome, too!

Thanks

P47Jughead

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2022
    The 1897 Winchester was designed by John Moses Browning along with the 1905 Winchester pump .22 and in 1935 (then sold )the Ithica 37 ,all are slam fire or should we better say 'trip fire" with same basic half cock hammer notch safety except Ithica.

I like the feature to keep a round chambered without the hammer spring fully compressed. The main purpose of half cock is to keep the hammer off the firing pin and thus the live primmer as any strike to the hammer is a(loud) discharge.Another purpose of the half cock notch is to catch a loose hammer if you slip off the hammer before it is fully cocked .

A lot of the old hammer guns operate with half cock "safeties" but if dropped or struck hard on the hammer the sear or sear pin all hardened steel will shatter or break.So any exposed hammer gun that is chambered is not to be considered "safe."That said I have them understand and use them and think they just have "the look".

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom