Join BayouShooter For Free

User Info Menu

CC S&W Model 686?

I currently carry a Smith & Wesson M&P compact 9mm but I am considering carrying a revolver instead. Iíve heard conflicting reports from people I respect on whether itís a good idea to carry a 3 inch model 686. Iíd rather not be restricted to carrying 38 special with the something like a model 637. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated-thanks.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I have a S&W 686 that I carry open carry, but I also pocket carry a S&W 649 shrouded hammer J-Frame and it shoots full power .357 loads just fine with the longer Crimson Trace grip. A stainless steel .357 J-frame might be a better option than the larger frame, but make sure you get a grip you can use all your fingers on to control the recoil. Sticking your pinky finger out is fine for sipping tea, but not for shooting magnums.
    "Incrementalism" is the weapon used by anti-gun forces to destroy the second amendment.
    "Compromise" is a negotiation term that can only be used one time - when you compromise a compromise, you have lost the entire issue.

ďLife should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!Ē Hunter S. Thompson

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Not a fan of heavy low capacity revolvers as concealed handguns.

-Global Mod-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    Not a fan of heavy low capacity revolvers as concealed handguns.
    I hate S&W Snubbie For that reason but MY GrandDad Carried one and so does my wife. On a side note And most cannot hit with a 38 2" without lots of training and to me poor choice

Ryan

User Info Menu

Something in a K frame would be better if you can find one. The 13 and 65 are both fixed sight 357s and can be found with 3" barrels. The 19 and maybe even the 66 have a 2.5" barrel option and adjustable sights.

The K frame is easy enough to shoot 357s accurately and slightly smaller and lighter than the L frames. Be weary of the older K frames in 357 as those frames are a little weak for the magnums and can be worn out of tolerances.

My favorite pistol for the first 6 rounds is a 4" model 66. It's an old state trooper gun, shoots awesome.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Iím gonna throw in with the other semiautomatic guys. I like revolvers they are neat to look at and fun to shoot but the ones I would consider worthy for concealed weapon work are not as fun to look at and arenít so fun to shoot. Thatís my two shekels worth. For defensive purposes bear country would be my optimal usage for revolvers, but Iím talking 44mag or larger. I have a family member who has hunted whitetail with his Ruger Redhawk, and heís a crack shot with it.

tacklebox

User Info Menu

I think the position, holster and size of the OP are what will determine if you can cc a 686.

I would say it’s very doable if you’ve got some extra size (especially in the mid section), but the added width of a wheelgun makes IWB difficult compared to most autos.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself.
    ... the very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good"

-George Washington