CC S&W Model 686?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2shoes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2019
    New Orleans
    I currently carry a Smith & Wesson M&P compact 9mm but I am considering carrying a revolver instead. I’ve heard conflicting reports from people I respect on whether it’s a good idea to carry a 3 inch model 686. I’d rather not be restricted to carrying 38 special with the something like a model 637. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated-thanks.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    I have a S&W 686 that I carry open carry, but I also pocket carry a S&W 649 shrouded hammer J-Frame and it shoots full power .357 loads just fine with the longer Crimson Trace grip. A stainless steel .357 J-frame might be a better option than the larger frame, but make sure you get a grip you can use all your fingers on to control the recoil. Sticking your pinky finger out is fine for sipping tea, but not for shooting magnums.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Not a fan of heavy low capacity revolvers as concealed handguns.

I hate S&W Snubbie For that reason but MY GrandDad Carried one and so does my wife. On a side note And most cannot hit with a 38 2" without lots of training and to me poor choice

rgibso6

Ryan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Lafayette
    Something in a K frame would be better if you can find one. The 13 and 65 are both fixed sight 357s and can be found with 3" barrels. The 19 and maybe even the 66 have a 2.5" barrel option and adjustable sights.

The K frame is easy enough to shoot 357s accurately and slightly smaller and lighter than the L frames. Be weary of the older K frames in 357 as those frames are a little weak for the magnums and can be worn out of tolerances.

My favorite pistol for the first 6 rounds is a 4" model 66. It's an old state trooper gun, shoots awesome.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I’m gonna throw in with the other semiautomatic guys. I like revolvers they are neat to look at and fun to shoot but the ones I would consider worthy for concealed weapon work are not as fun to look at and aren’t so fun to shoot. That’s my two shekels worth. For defensive purposes bear country would be my optimal usage for revolvers, but I’m talking 44mag or larger. I have a family member who has hunted whitetail with his Ruger Redhawk, and he’s a crack shot with it.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I think the position, holster and size of the OP are what will determine if you can cc a 686.

I would say it’s very doable if you’ve got some extra size (especially in the mid section), but the added width of a wheelgun makes IWB difficult compared to most autos.

Evil Zim

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    I regularly carry a S&W 438 jframe and with regular practice, it is effective... highly concealable and as a result, I always have it on me as opposed to my high capacity autos.... most gunfights are going to be 1-2 shots

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I regularly carry a S&W 438 jframe and with regular practice, it is effective... highly concealable and as a result, I always have it on me as opposed to my high capacity autos.... most gunfights are going to be 1-2 shots

You may want to research that 1-2 shots in a majority of gunfights.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom