Join BayouShooter For Free
Brass

User Info Menu

CC S&W Model 686?

I currently carry a Smith & Wesson M&P compact 9mm but I am considering carrying a revolver instead. Iíve heard conflicting reports from people I respect on whether itís a good idea to carry a 3 inch model 686. Iíd rather not be restricted to carrying 38 special with the something like a model 637. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated-thanks.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I have a S&W 686 that I carry open carry, but I also pocket carry a S&W 649 shrouded hammer J-Frame and it shoots full power .357 loads just fine with the longer Crimson Trace grip. A stainless steel .357 J-frame might be a better option than the larger frame, but make sure you get a grip you can use all your fingers on to control the recoil. Sticking your pinky finger out is fine for sipping tea, but not for shooting magnums.
    "Incrementalism" is the weapon used by anti-gun forces to destroy the second amendment.
    "Compromise" is a negotiation term that can only be used one time - when you compromise a compromise, you have lost the entire issue.

ďLife should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!Ē Hunter S. Thompson

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Not a fan of heavy low capacity revolvers as concealed handguns.