Best budget AR?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtj5002

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Lacombe
    IMO Carbine length gas system is ideal for 10.5 - 14.5" barrels. A 16" with carbine length gas system, no matter how small the gas port is drilled, can still be very over gassed. They will function fine and maybe put a little more wear on your BCG, but a properly gassed 16" mid length will have a smoother and lower recoil, and run a little cleaner.

I go with these for 5.56, all assuming properly sized gas port or adjustable gas block. Other lower pressure calibers like 300 BO or 7.62x39 have different optimal gas lengths.

<10.5" pistol length gas
    10.5-14.5 carbine length
    14.5-16 mid length
    18+ rifle length

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Not quite sure of your question here, but the poster above is basically saying the longer gas system (Mid Length) *tends* to run a little smoother than the shorter Carbine length gas systems.
    For example, if I were going to build a 16* barreled upper in 5.56, I personally would choose a barrel with a mid length gas system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO Carbine length gas system is ideal for 10.5 - 14.5" barrels. A 16" with carbine length gas system, no matter how small the gas port is drilled, can still be very over gassed. They will function fine and maybe put a little more wear on your BCG, but a properly gassed 16" mid length will have a smoother and lower recoil, and run a little cleaner.

I go with these for 5.56, all assuming properly sized gas port or adjustable gas block. Other lower pressure calibers like 300 BO or 7.62x39 have different optimal gas lengths.

<10.5" pistol length gas
    10.5-14.5 carbine length
    14.5-16 mid length
    18+ rifle length

You guess her the nail on the head. Thats was my guess based on my rudimentary understanding of physics.
    Thanks for sharing. I know guys were running all kinds length gas setups but never thought to ask why. I came for the 1/2 priced Glocks, and I stick around for the fun banter and gun tech.

A5BLASTER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2019
    Zwolle
    My thinking is that the best budget ar is the one you build yourself.

Shop smart and hit the sales and check equipment sale sections of online gun forums and you can typically build a ar just how you want. That will run perfect and shoot good. For much less then you could buy.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    Keep in mind, if you build it yourself, you'll likely need a few special tools to do it right and these extra costs will add to the price of the rifle. If you plan to build more, then getting these tool will be worthwhile. If it's a one time deal, it easier to buy a complete one (there's a lot of very good low price offerings). Or the PSA upper and lower as separate purchases (the least expensive, good rifle I know of).

Maybe you know someone that has the tools.. and can borrow them, or better yet, have an experienced builder watch over you.

Have fun and good luck

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    without a doubt 14.5" pinned/welded with midlenght gas system is by far the smoothest shooting ar I have ever shot... I like to use psa but the last 2 builds I have done were all AERO and must say they are a step above, and not much more in price..

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Keep in mind, if you build it yourself, you'll likely need a few special tools to do it right and these extra costs will add to the price of the rifle. If you plan to build more, then getting these tool will be worthwhile. If it's a one time deal, it easier to buy a complete one (there's a lot of very good low price offerings). Or the PSA upper and lower as separate purchases (the least expensive, good rifle I know of).

Maybe you know someone that has the tools.. and can borrow them, or better yet, have an experienced builder watch over you.

Have fun and good luck

It also depends on how much of the assembly you’re doing, an upper needs a lot of tools, lowers not so much.

Top Bottom