Best budget AR?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I'm thinking about buying my first AR (maybe). As far as a basic, reliable AR with iron sights, what would you recommend?

I'm not looking for fancy, just a gun that will do it's job. Don't want a bunch of features.

obryap

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2015
    Paulina, LA
    Don't know what your budget is, but I went with the Ruger AR-556 for around $650. I am not an AR expert, but have been happy with my decision.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    They just had a S&W new for $449 on sale somewhere. I’ll see if I can find it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    People have varying opinions on Palmetto State Armory but they're going to be about as no frills as you can get. I have a couple of their bcg's, an upper, and a lower. I've never had any issues with they. They're not fancy but they have performed so far when I've needed them to. You said you wanted something reliable but you didn't say what the use would be. The use could determine how "budget" you may want to go. With all that being said, PSA has a couple things on sale.

$279 for a "bring your own lower."

or

$219 for and upper and $129 for a lower.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    They just had a S&W new for $449 on sale somewhere. I’ll see if I can find it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a m&p15 OR from 10 years ago, runs without a hiccup, shoots any type of ammo. Back then it was 900 bucks, now you can get that one for 450, I wouldn’t hesitate to get one if I didn’t already own a dozen rifles now.

You might be able to build one for 4-500 but it’s nice to know you have a factory rifle, from a reputable company with a warranty, should you ever need to use it.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    The sport 2 has numerous reviews on YouTube including a run to failure in which it caught fire before failing. Saying that to say it’s going to be hard to beat it for the money.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I'm not opposed to building one, just want a solid gun for as little money as needed. ARs really aren't my thing, but I realize their value.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Go for the S&W at $450. A mixmaster home build will be much harder to sell if you ever decide to part ways with it, especially if it’s built with low end parts.

Mike

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Look at the DPMS Oracle or the Palmetto State Armory AR15s. I paid around $500 for my DPMS Oracle and it shoots perfect. I also bought an AR10 from Palmetto State Armory and I paid $550 for it. It also shoots perfect. Both are solid well built rifles.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I’m not opposed the the Oracle but know it’s an *optics ready carbine*. Which means no front post and a gas block rail that is not level with your top rail. Which makes for more expense to get iron sights on the gun. I went down that road. I ended up swapping the block and hand-guard and then dumped the irons for a 3-9 shortly after that.

If you are looking for plain vanilla I’d say M&P 15 and throw a fixed or flip-up rear sight and get to shooting. The more you tinker the more you want to. It quickly becomes an illness. It’s like legos for grownups.

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    I picked up a Delton Sport last year from Sportsman’s Guide for $410. I did my research then, everyone was recommending those and the S&W sport for about $500.

The Delton is nice. I got it just had an itch for an AR, my only rifle currently.

Sportsmans Guide has 4 easy pays no interest if you are a member, was $40 a year and only $10 shipping I think.

Ninja Defender

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you check the specials from PSA, you can put together an AR for $328 (before tax) by buying a full upper and lower separately.

jtj5002

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Lacombe
    I had a Ruger AR 556 and M&P Sport II and several PSA ones. I like PSA better than both, primary having the option of 16" mid-length gas system (or build whatever you want). I cannot stand 16" carbine gas.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    If you check the specials from PSA, you can put together an AR for $328 (before tax) by buying a full upper and lower separately.
    ^^^THIS^^^

Go to PSA website and sign up for their daily deals email.
    Watch for the complete lowers. I’ve bought many with Magpul stock, grip and trigger guard and their nickel coated polished EPT trigger in the $150 range. Swap the springs for a $10 set of JP yellow springs and you’ve got one sweet lower.
    Then look for an upper to suit you. PSA likely has more ready uppers with Mil-Spec sight blocks than any other manufacturer. I’ve seen many with CH and BCG ready to pin to a lower in the $200-300 range.
    One thing to consider with S&W, Ruger and possibly DPMS is they may not be completely mil spec. I’ve run into that with the M&P for sure.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I cannot stand 16" carbine gas.
    Ok. I’ve built a couple guns all different calibers, and type. I have a pistol, a carbine and a rifle. They all have matching gas systems. P/P, C/C, R/R. What do I gain with a carbin with a mix of rifle gas? And what do I have to do differently for proper function?

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    Ok. I’ve built a couple guns all different calibers, and type. I have a pistol, a carbine and a rifle. They all have matching gas systems. P/P, C/C, R/R. What do I gain with a carbin with a mix of rifle gas? And what do I have to do differently for proper function?

Not quite sure of your question here, but the poster above is basically saying the longer gas system (Mid Length) “tends” to run a little smoother than the shorter Carbine length gas systems.
    For example, if I were going to build a 16” barreled upper in 5.56, I personally would choose a barrel with a mid length gas system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom