Who is crazy, us or them.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Notice it only says that a gun can make a bad person worse. The author clearly dismisses another outcome, that it makes a good person a better and more effective protector of possible victims.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Chelsey Kivland, a political and urban anthropologist, studies street politics, insecurity, and social performance in contemporary urban Haiti.

Answer to your heading? Her!

This job occupation title sounds (and reads), like some completelety made up fantasy-land horseshit in a country that is total dog ****!

Maybe she could study and explain why Dominican Republicans (on the same island), think Haitians are complete garbage?

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    I'll bite. I've been in possession of, or otherwise had access to firearms since a very young age. A gun has never inspired me to violence, or to commit violence against another human being or animal for that matter. Matter of factly I have never committed an act of violence with a firearm, because I have great respect for the potential power of said item.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have heard of in my life. I don't doubt that some uneducated people think that guns grant them some supernatural power. The fact of the matter is, no one was shooting back at the mass shooters, because they picked soft targets where other people were not likely to have GUNS. This article is clearly written from a certain perspective about people who live in a third world country at best, who would still be slaves if it weren't for GUNS.

Rather than blame the gun for the negativity of these people, and saying they empower them. How about holding people responsible for their actions rather than creating the excuse that "the gun made me do it"? Or while I was in Christian school, I heard the likely excuse "the Devil made me do it", or the crackheads who say "the Drugs made me do it"? We could go on for days about this, and the psychology of it. This thinking is wrong, these excuses are wrong. That is only my opinion yours may differ.

I'll close with this. I google searched, is modern society losing it's morality? The result that came up near the top of the list was an article endorsed by Vanderbilt University. The jest of the article was "Stop complaining about the moral decline of western society, expert says" it went on to say "Morality is not declining in the modern world. Instead, a new morality is replacing the previous one. Centered on individual self-fulfillment, and linked to administrative government, it permits things the old morality forbid, like sex for pleasure, but forbids things the old morality allowed, like intolerance and equality of opportunity." So in going so far as to say that our old morality is being replaced by a more lax, self fulfilling morality, could one also assert that we as a people are also giving in to the more dark part of our human nature as well? Could this new accepted morality that allows thing like free sex, and free thinking be contributing also to things like murder, rape, violence? Honestly I am a young man who prefers things the old way. The moving standards we have in this society are broken, and just like you cannot build a house on the sand, you cannot build society on standards that shift on a whim. Look at any great society in history, with strict standards, society was strong. When standards were loosened, societies crumbled.

Even if you do not believe in the theology of the Bible, the stories are much the same as any sound advice. Build your house on a good foundation, treat your fellow man fairly, do not steal or kill your fellow man. None of these principles are bad monikers to live by no matter your race, faith or background. None of which have anything to do with a gun except that it is the tool used to commit one mans evil against another.

There has to be some other keyboard psychologist out there care to chime in?

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    "If we are to truly understand and control gun violence, we need to accept that guns have potent technological and psychological effects on people—effects that inspire violent ways of being and acting in the world."

While the above statement can certainly be true, the flip side of this (which was alluded to in the article) is also relevant.

Here is another excerpt from the same article:

"On one hand, gun possession stands for popular sovereignty. It was, after all, the courage of enslaved people to take up arms against a colonial power that secured Haiti's independence in 1804."

So the effects of gun ownership can go both ways... pity the article does not explore that correctly. Until the pro and anti gunners can discuss these differences openly we will not get anywhere.

I do find it interesting how Haiti has a tribal style of land management. Not how we do it here (for the most part) so how the Haitians are acting is not really a suitable comparative study to how Americans act.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    IF what she was saying really had merit, I think that the shear number of ARs in this country would yield many more deaths than has been fact.

She lacks objective reasoning.... maybe because she believes in voodoo.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    IF what she was saying really had merit, I think that the shear number of ARs in this country would yield many more deaths than has been fact.

Because, again, the facts show that the VAST VAST VAST (99.9999999) majority of legal gun owners are law-abiding, responsible and not murderers of any kind...

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

She lacks objective reasoning.... maybe because she believes in voodoo.

That's "Vodou!" You heathen!

I'm still trying to get over that woman's self entitled job title. :rolleyes:

She would probably love mine:

Omnipotent healer and soothsayer, God of the people, Seer of truth, Under-stander of everything, Man among men, and Everything to everyone; and Generally all around nice guy! ;)

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    She be crazy! Don't she know that everything in Haiti has been fixed with the Billions of dollars the Clintons foundation collected. No problem here anymore.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I like how the author just conjures (perhaps with some Haitian "maji") easy availability of AR-15s following the expiration of the assault weapons ban, never mind that they've been around since the 60s, and never went away during the ban (just got pricier). Poor statements such as these lend to further misunderstanding, as it leads readers who aren't old enough or haven't read extensively enough to BELIEVE the skewed version that says the end of the AWB suddenly led to some dramatic rise in crime and violence. I read crap like that in an article, and tend to automatically discount the rest.

Top Bottom