.300 Blackout

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I got the itch for a 300 Blackout rifle. The questions are:

SBR or not? I am not a fan of the whole brace thing. If I am going to shorten it I will get a stamp.

Next, to buy or build??

Any input would be appreciated.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I bought a 10.5 in upper from PSA. I assembled the lower. I killed 3 deer with mine last year, on was close to 100 yards.

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    What is your main use going to be? Hunting? Suppressed shooting? Range toy?

Here's what I did years ago;

I wanted a short 300BO for maneuverability and suppression, not necessarily hunting out past 100 yds, so I went through the months-long ordeal of SBRing a receiver.

With the SBR I can travel with it anywhere IN STATE without the feds' okey-dokey transport paperwork.
    If I want to go OUT OF STATE I have to send off the permission slip to be approved at least 2 months ahead of time to make sure I get it back before leaving. So no spur-of-the-moment trips.

NOW, however, I'm building a 300bo PISTOL with the SB3A brace, because the feds' have ruled "shouldering a brace" does not make it an SBR.
    I can travel with it ANYWHERE a pistol is legal to carry, without jumping through the paperwork hoop.

If I'd known back then what I know now, I probably would have not bothered with the SBR ordeal. That said, it was still a good way to start dipping my toes in the NFA pool!

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    What is it about a “brace” that you don’t like?

I’ve done both SBR route and also Braces. Years ago, the braces on the market were just “ok”...but now, with braces like the adjustable SBA3 on the market, if I had a choice of going SBR vs brace, it would definitely be a SBA3 brace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mxav

Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Nov 25, 2011
    New Orleans
    With the types of braces out nowadays, Id say give them all a "test" run if you can get your hands on them, the SB Tactical ones are my favorites. And to answer your other question, I'd build one, but that's my personal preference because it makes it personal, it makes it, "yours".
    :)

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Build. Don’t pay a company to assemble your gun with parts you are just gonna change. Unless it’s setup exactly how you want from the start, build it.
    Carbine vs sbr vs pistol all depends on you and what you want the gun to do. If I built my to hunt from a deer blind I would have chosen a carbine, but I wanted an SBR but didn’t want a stamp, so I built a 8.5 inch pistol with a Thordson cheek rest, and since the ATF walked back the whole shouldering fiasco it functions like an sbr with an insanely short stock. For a Sasquatch like myself it almost like squeezing into a VW bug, getting hunkered down behind the charging handle. My support hand could stand a couple more inches of barrel and handguard too. But as I said I’m a bit of a Sasquatch.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I am happy with my pistol braced AR but if I was to go the SBR route I could build a pistol lower also and when going out of state just swap the upper from the SBR over to the pistol lower .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Having had some braces on pistol builds, a few Shockwaves and an early Sig/SB Tactical, I was not a fan of them. When the SBA3 came out, I didn't care for how it looked. I have a rifle with a mft minimalist stock on it and I can't say I like the hook look of it. But on a whim, I grabbed an SBA3 when it was on sale for about $100 just to see what all the fuss was about. I have 4 or 5 of them now. I believe I only have a Shockwave installed on 1 pistol now and it's a pistol I don't shoot regularly.

Are you looking for a range toy? Are you going to suppress it? 300 Blackout works really well in a shorter barrel, 9" to 10.5". Do you need the extra velocity from a longer barrel?

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Having had some braces on pistol builds, a few Shockwaves and an early Sig/SB Tactical, I was not a fan of them. When the SBA3 came out, I didn't care for how it looked. I have a rifle with a mft minimalist stock on it and I can't say I like the hook look of it. But on a whim, I grabbed an SBA3 when it was on sale for about $100 just to see what all the fuss was about. I have 4 or 5 of them now. I believe I only have a Shockwave installed on 1 pistol now and it's a pistol I don't shoot regularly.

Are you looking for a range toy? Are you going to suppress it? 300 Blackout works really well in a shorter barrel, 9" to 10.5". Do you need the extra velocity from a longer barrel?

To shoot suppressed and a range toy. I may give the brace a new look. I had always worried about shouldering a brace. I was thinking 10.5* upper. Looking at lowers and parts kits now.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I haven’t really revisited my build choices in years and haven’t considered another brace or rest until this thread. I may swap to a brace like the SBA3 and see if shooter comfort improves a little. It’s fun to shoot as is but...

Good topic thanks guys.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    To shoot suppressed and a range toy. I may give the brace a new look. I had always worried about shouldering a brace. I was thinking 10.5* upper. Looking at lowers and parts kits now.

I live a little north of you. I have a 9.5" build with an SBA3 brace. If you're interested, I'd be fine with meeting up somewhere if you have access to some land and letting you test out the brace. Or we could meet up and play with guns in the Walmart parking lot.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I live a little north of you. I have a 9.5" build with an SBA3 brace. If you're interested, I'd be fine with meeting up somewhere if you have access to some land and letting you test out the brace. Or we could meet up and play with guns in the Walmart parking lot.

We could meet at Baker Range one day.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    After doing some reading and talking to people I decided to go with a brace. Any particular lpk you guys like for a 300 blk AR pistol?

If you are fine with a standard mil spec single stage trigger, any LPK would be fine. PSA, AIM, etc.
    you can always add a drop in trigger at a later date if you so desire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I use Remington 220 gr sub. You can get it at academy and some Walmart’s will stock it.

For supers, I’ve had good luck with some reloads from a couple years ago, I’m not sure if the QC is the same since they picked up more business, so I’ll leave their name out of the thread.

I have an 8.2 inch Noveske and 9 inch AAC. I use an SND6 with it.

Top Bottom