Take a Guess Who Doesn't Want Cheaper Auto Insurance Here?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Two adults and one child who went to the hospital (not me) first got out and walked around. Two other children from carseats also went, FIVE in total for the ambulances. One lady walked around carrying a child...until a family member showed up, at which time she passed the child off and promptly laid out on the ground waiting for a spine board. ONE occupant, a minor child, had a laceration of about a half inch on her earlobe, from striking it against...ready for this...the UNSECURED car seat of a younger sibling (the mother wrote the Trooper a statement admitting not securing the two carSEATS(!) that the one child sat between in the middle of the back).

Their vehicle appeared physically repairable, but I don't know how cost vs. value went on that, fixed or paid out. My unit, less than a year old, was totaled out due to having spun up over a curb and crushing in by the pillar just behind the driver's door, damage to structure beyound replaceable outer components making it a parts pile for the barn to salvage from. I rode a really crappy pool unit for a while until our department got our first Tahoes and I got one of those.

My wrist was a little sore, and the doc at the urgent care where I had to go pee in a cup required an x-ray of my chest because (I'd not heard specifically of this before) people in crashes of moderate, and sometimes even seemingly insignificant impact, can suffer initially minor tears of the aorta due to internal shifts on impact, leading to sudden bursting and quick internal bleed-outs (or so she explained). Made me slightly nervous to think of kicking in bed later in the night unexpectedly, but all looked well.

As for the dollars-to-durinit math, I can't figure how they reached $50K, it might have been based on poundage per cheek...

What is sickening is how unashamed and blatant these dirtbags get running these scams because they know they will get paid either way.

I’m still a little fuzzy on the fun-zone closures, I’m guessing they gave their husbands the old headache excuse. I’m so confused on how that works. Those body parts are on opposite ends of most people’s bodies?:rofl:

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Happened to my neighbors wife, her aorta was damaged from a wreck and not diagnosed at the hospital and she was sent home supposedly ok . that night she bled out internally .
    Two adults and one child who went to the hospital (not me) first got out and walked around. Two other children from carseats also went, FIVE in total for the ambulances. One lady walked around carrying a child...until a family member showed up, at which time she passed the child off and promptly laid out on the ground waiting for a spine board. ONE occupant, a minor child, had a laceration of about a half inch on her earlobe, from striking it against...ready for this...the UNSECURED car seat of a younger sibling (the mother wrote the Trooper a statement admitting not securing the two carSEATS(!) that the one child sat between in the middle of the back).

Their vehicle appeared physically repairable, but I don't know how cost vs. value went on that, fixed or paid out. My unit, less than a year old, was totaled out due to having spun up over a curb and crushing in by the pillar just behind the driver's door, damage to structure beyound replaceable outer components making it a parts pile for the barn to salvage from. I rode a really crappy pool unit for a while until our department got our first Tahoes and I got one of those.

My wrist was a little sore, and the doc at the urgent care where I had to go pee in a cup required an x-ray of my chest because (I'd not heard specifically of this before) people in crashes of moderate, and sometimes even seemingly insignificant impact, can suffer initially minor tears of the aorta due to internal shifts on impact, leading to sudden bursting and quick internal bleed-outs (or so she explained). Made me slightly nervous to think of kicking in bed later in the night unexpectedly, but all looked well.

As for the dollars-to-durinit math, I can't figure how they reached $50K, it might have been based on poundage per cheek...

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I've told this story many times . Wife was hit by a drunk driver . Vehicle was totaled . Wife spent 3 days in the Hospital and off work for over a month . Dirtbag was convicted of 3rd offense DWI . No Drivers License . NO insurance obviously . NO job , NO assets of any kind . My insurance paid everything .
    How do you keep uninsured or even unlicensed drivers off of the streets ? Put up a checkpoint and people lose their minds . In the meantime we have discussions like this ...

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I think we aught to:

Impound any vehicle caught being operated on La roads sans insurance , and sell it at auction, with the proceeds going to benefit Children's Hospital.

Arrest any driver caught operating a vehicle without a license. The penalty shall be 30 days at hard labor. Filling Potholes sounds good, until we run out of them.

Disallow any advertising by shysters, lawyers, or sharks. Except for a yellow pages ad. (Nobody uses a phone book anymore)

Coyote5.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2016
    Prairieville
    When we moved to Alabama our insurance dropped by 1/3. Then we moved back to Louisiana and they went back up 1/3. Louisiana does not need to reinvent the wheel. Other states with low insurance premium models with would be an excellent place to start legislation.

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    In case you didn't know, Louisiana is 2nd in the country in Highest Auto Insurance Rates. Gee, big surprise! HB372 by Kirk Talbot (R) was put forth to lower those premiums by lowering the cost of claims on insurance companies, and lowering the threshold of the amount that triggers jury trials from $50,000 to $5,000; and forcing Insurance companies to pass the savings on to customers.

By lowering the jury trial threshold, it forces those lawyers and clients who are now getting the instant settlement check to put forth the money and the effort to prepare and actually go to court to "prove" they are warranted ridiculous monetary payouts. As it stands now, your wife may accidentally tap into someone at 2 MPH, at a red light; and if it's the right person, they claim they are paralyzed. They hire a scumbag attorney, that scumbag tells the insurer he is going to file a suit on behalf of the injured claimant, and the insurance companies settles out of court to avoid costly trials, then automatically pass that scam payout on to us in the form of higher premiums. Pretty straight forward, right?

According to statistics, we have an absurdly overabundance of those claims here, and thus #2 on the; This place is **** list."

Good news is, it passed the full House yesterday 69-30.
    Bad news is, it was not only on party lines, but disparagingly racial lines.

All 30 nays were democrats; 23 were black. Of the 69 yeas, only 8 were democrats and only 2 of them were black.

I think most people can see what is happening here.

This state will NEVER EVER get better as long as black politicians take sides on damn near every issue based on race.

Lowering EVERYONE'S auto insurance is a good thing for EVERYONE!!!!! That is if you actually pay for insurance!

Why would these pandering dumbasses think that awarding frivolous lawsuit payouts at the drop of a hat enhances the lives of their constituents or the lives of their fellow Louisianans?

Another prideful day in Louisiana!

A friend has described exactly this scenario in an accident he was involved in.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Disclosure: I am a general practice attorney and represent both sides (people filing suit and companies/municipalities defending suits).

What I am questioning is how this bill would reduce costs for insurance companies. In my 25+ years of experience, it is much more expensive for an insurance company to prepare a case for jury trial than for a judge trial (you can cut through the dog and pony show for a judge, who knows the litigation process, but you have to be much more thorough in your presentation of evidence and spend more money on trial exhibits, video depositions, etc. if presenting to jurors who have not dealt with hundreds of suits).

I would expect personal injury trial lawyers to actually be able to get faster and larger settlements from insurers if this bill passes, as they will hang over the insurance company's head the added costs of defending a jury trial on a $15,000, $25,000, or $50,000 insurance policy, for example.

I am open to any new information which would change my mind on this one, if anyone has insight to offer.

Any insurance adjuster or insurance defense attorney evaluates the value of a claim and the amount of money it will likely spend to defend the matter through trial (which is called "cost of defense"). Anyone on the insurance side will factor the cost of defense into their decision of how much money should be spent to settle a claim.

From the plaintiff attorney's side, they get their percentage recovery and all of the expenses they have fronted out of the recovery (after settlement or after a favorable trial verdict), so they have little risk unless the jury gives them nothing.

Also, keep in mind, that right now, if a claimant stipulates that their case is worth less than $50,000, the case is tried to a judge. Judges can be more stingy or more generous than juries, depending on the parish and the particular judge.

In answer to your question about why our insurance is so high, I think juries in many rural parishes and Orleans Parish tend to give out more money than might be given in other states. I also think the fact that we have something like 17% of the drivers on any day who don't have any auto insurance causes more 1st party claims to be paid out when your car gets damaged or you get hurt, when you didn't cause the accident, and the insurance companies pass all of those costs on to us to actually have insurance.

As to advertising being bad in LA, I personally don't like atty advertising (I have never advertised for any of my business, beyond a business card ad in a nephew's high school soccer program or in support of local non-profits), but I have seen much worse commercials in continuing ed seminars out of Texas and some other states, than I have seen here.

You will never get "loser pays" (which is the British system) here in any US state. The argument against loser pays that they told us in law school is that some people with legitimate claims and limited means will be afraid to bring their claims (and will never recover what they should have), for fear that something goes crazy at trial (no attorney should or can ever guarantee a result) and they lose, having to pay the other side's atty fees when they don't have the means to do so.

Great insight! Thanks!

Nathan Hale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Louisiana
    I read the digest of this bill (not the actual bill itself) and judging from the digest what the bill is really about is 'damage claim limitation/reduction'; the 'jury threshold amount reduction' is a bone being thrown to the plaintiff's bar in hope's that they will not oppose the bill (plaintiff's attorneys have wanted to lower the threshold amount for jury trial for decades because juries tend to give higher awards than judges.) This is why the Reps tend to support and Dems tend to oppose.
    Anybody wants to read the whole bill and check me, be my guest: https://legiscan.com/LA/drafts/HB372/2019
    I can't see this thing passing, there is something in it for every group to hate. We'll see.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    That already exists - an insurer cannot raise rates unless it applies to the Commission of Insurance and shows their recent income and expenses and justifies the rate increase they are seeking.

Insurance companies don't care -- they are "hand in hand" with the insurance commissioners. Pay out the claims and raise rates on the policy holders. WHEN is the LAST time you heard of an insurance company going belly up? IT DOES NOT HAPPEN. THEY are guaranteed to make money, our laws REQUIRE we carry insurance and our LAWS protect THEM, not us. Attorneys and lawmakers are the biggest problems and insurance companies are insulated from the impact by our laws. This goes for ALL insurance, Auto, Health, Homeowners, Flood, etc. etc.

Top Bottom