Join BayouShooter For Free
Pelican

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast
    Guns are my crack!!

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post
    Because their constituents are the ones making the broke neck claims. Oddly enough they are the same type that bob their heads so hard while talking you would think they were invertebrates. No one in the community cares about the merits of a fake neck injury case so long as some fat wallet insurance guy pays up. But these are the same people who mysteriously find pubs in the last bite of salad, claim the $200 goochi purse was really on the clearance rack, and go to the ER for the sniffles. Oh yeah one more, can be found using the Walmart motorized scooters drinking wine from a Pringle’s can and smell like a gym bag forgotten under your truck seat for a couple years.
    I couldn't have said it better myself, thanks for posting what I was thinking too.
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

I carry a gun because I'm too old for an ass whoopin', and too young to die!

USPSA # A55195
    NRA # 138603535

Marksman
    Site Sponsor

User Info Menu

The assumption in the legislation is that juries will consistently award less in cases under $50,000 than judges are currently awarding and I am not sure that will prove true in practice.

As for subrogation suits, you answered your own question - insurance companies don't recover anything from subrogation suits against people who aren't willing to pay the premiums on their minimum limits car insurance policy, as those driver's rarely have assets subject to seizure or a job they won't quit once they are garnished.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArmbrusterArmory View Post
    Disclosure: I am a general practice attorney and represent both sides (people filing suit and companies/municipalities defending suits).

What I am questioning is how this bill would reduce costs for insurance companies. In my 25+ years of experience, it is much more expensive for an insurance company to prepare a case for jury trial than for a judge trial (you can cut through the dog and pony show for a judge, who knows the litigation process, but you have to be much more thorough in your presentation of evidence and spend more money on trial exhibits, video depositions, etc. if presenting to jurors who have not dealt with hundreds of suits).

I would expect personal injury trial lawyers to actually be able to get faster and larger settlements from insurers if this bill passes, as they will hang over the insurance company's head the added costs of defending a jury trial on a $15,000, $25,000, or $50,000 insurance policy, for example.

I am open to any new information which would change my mind on this one, if anyone has insight to offer.
    +1

Seriously Misunderstood!

User Info Menu

So let's assume for a minute that this Bill (if passed into law), ends up not doing what it was intended.

First; it wouldn't be the first time that has ever happened (particularly here).
    Second; they at least tried something.
    Third; someone please explain to me why the "nays" were ALL democrats?

We are the #2 spot in the claim to shame to have the HIGHEST auto insurance rates in the entire US; and we are one of the poorest states in the country to boot.

One thing we absolutely know with utmost certainty is, if this Bill fails or falls short, and if there is no other Bill or practical remedy; we still have some of the highest (currently #2), auto insurance rates in the country. Those that can't afford to buy auto insurance continue to illegally drive motor vehicles on the streets, and when they cause accidents or kill someone, it's no skin off of anybody's ass except those of us that pay to stay in compliance with the law.

By the way, our own insurance commissioner, and other so called insurance gurus, say we'll be the absolute worst (That's #1), by the end of the year!

As for subrogation suits, you answered your own question - insurance companies don't recover anything from subrogation suits against people who aren't willing to pay the premiums on their minimum limits car insurance policy, as those driver's rarely have assets subject to seizure or a job they won't quit once they are garnished.
    This shit^ is getting old and I am tired of paying more!
    Last edited by Emperor; April 25th, 2019 at 06:38 AM.
    Remember; The 2nd Amendment Protects the 1st!
    Lyndon Johnson (Democrat & Father of US Welfare System) we'll give them stuff........."and have them ni&&ers voting democratic for the next 200 years!"
    "I'm a self reliant, self supported American trapped in a "Free Shit" society!"
    Be Warned! Amazon.com is Skynet!
    PLEASE STOP USING GOOGLE!
    I don't believe in a supreme deity; but have to believe Trump's win was Divine Intervention!

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

I've always heard that the #1 reason our insurance rates are so high here is due too all the drunk drivers putt-putting around all day and all night......
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    I've always heard that the #1 reason our insurance rates are so high here is due too all the drunk drivers putt-putting around all day and all night......
    Yeah and at one point it was the over abundance of car theft too. For what it’s worth when I moved back to Mississippi my auto insurance didn’t budge. So either we are right there with you or I’m getting screwed. And my wife and I maintain fairly clean driving records.

Seriously Misunderstood!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post
    Yeah and at one point it was the over abundance of car theft too. For what it’s worth when I moved back to Mississippi my auto insurance didn’t budge. So either we are right there with you or I’m getting screwed. And my wife and I maintain fairly clean driving records.
    I'll bet Mississippi is right up there with us!

You know we're kindred spirits in the shit bucket!
    Remember; The 2nd Amendment Protects the 1st!
    Lyndon Johnson (Democrat & Father of US Welfare System) we'll give them stuff........."and have them ni&&ers voting democratic for the next 200 years!"
    "I'm a self reliant, self supported American trapped in a "Free Shit" society!"
    Be Warned! Amazon.com is Skynet!
    PLEASE STOP USING GOOGLE!
    I don't believe in a supreme deity; but have to believe Trump's win was Divine Intervention!

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    I'll bet Mississippi is right up there with us!

You know we're kindred spirits in the shit bucket!
    no doubt

Marksman

User Info Menu

One of the biggest reasons of high auto insurance in LA is the number of uninsured drivers. What I would like to see is a law that uninsured drivers are barred from making a claim against the insured driver regardless of who is at fault, and their passengers can only sue the uninsured driver for injury claims. In other words, you have to pay to play.
    "Incrementalism" is the weapon used by anti-gun forces to destroy the second amendment.
    "Compromise" is a negotiation term that can only be used one time - when you compromise a compromise, you have lost the entire issue.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” Hunter S. Thompson

LEO

User Info Menu

I've seen so many people go to the ER in the ambulance to "get checked out" after ridiculously minor crashes, it's pathetic. I totally get that you can be hurt without it being visible, and I've been sore after crashes, but some of the miniscule traffic bumps that people claim they're hurt from are just unbelievable. That ambulance ride from the scene is going to generate a bill right away that they're certainly not going to want to pay themselves, and that's just starting the process. It's discouraging watching people act that way.

I was named in a suit for a crash once (on duty) and two people not even in the car, the husbands of two women in the car, were added into the suit for the $50,000 limit each for "loss of companionship and consortium." In layman's terms, they couldn't get none from their old ladies after the supposed injuries suffered by their women, so they thought that was worth $50K apiece! The city attorney successfully defended on that case, I think their car was fixed and maybe the ride to the ER was paid, and eventually I got a call from a lawyer representing the plaintiff's lawyer, because the plaintiffs were now suing him claiming malpractice! That's the kind of crap that makes insurance expensive.