Take a Guess Who Doesn't Want Cheaper Auto Insurance Here?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I've seen so many people go to the ER in the ambulance to "get checked out" after ridiculously minor crashes, it's pathetic. I totally get that you can be hurt without it being visible, and I've been sore after crashes, but some of the miniscule traffic bumps that people claim they're hurt from are just unbelievable. That ambulance ride from the scene is going to generate a bill right away that they're certainly not going to want to pay themselves, and that's just starting the process. It's discouraging watching people act that way.

I was named in a suit for a crash once (on duty) and two people not even in the car, the husbands of two women in the car, were added into the suit for the $50,000 limit each for "loss of companionship and consortium." In layman's terms, they couldn't get none from their old ladies after the supposed injuries suffered by their women, so they thought that was worth $50K apiece! The city attorney successfully defended on that case, I think their car was fixed and maybe the ride to the ER was paid, and eventually I got a call from a lawyer representing the plaintiff's lawyer, because the plaintiffs were now suing him claiming malpractice! That's the kind of crap that makes insurance expensive.

It's not just this^ crap!

I had an employee driving one of my trucks. He was completely stopped at a stop sign on a "one-way" two lane road with an old guy completely stopped aside him. Both were waiting for the opportunity to move. My driver was going to turn right, and the old guy was presumably going to go straight (across the perpendicular roadway and turn left). The old guy decided out of the blue, and from a dead stop to move to the right lane (he decided to turn right instead of trying to go across the busy street), bumping my truck on the driver side door. From a dead stop and 2 feet apart from my truck, mind you. He basically steered into my truck at 2 mph. The damage was so insignificant it was almost not worth worrying about.

BUT; my driver, instantly and obviously genetically programmed to; said the impact hurt his knee and he couldn't walk. OK. fine! I know he's full of ****, but business protocol mandates that I take his claim serious. He demands to go to the hospital (of course), and plays that horse **** for all he's worth. Not only does he hire a scumbag ambulance chaser to try to crucify the old guys insurance, he gets some scumbag phony hood doctor to sign off on his phony injury, and guess what? Can no longer work! Now he's going after my Worker's Comp; and get's it.

If any of you don't know what happens next, shame on you. The gist of it is, he gets paid from the old guys insurance and my worker's comp; and guess who ultimately pays for all of it? Me and the old guy in hiked rates!

The happy ending if any is this **** bag employee didn't work for 6 months, and ended up only getting $3,000 after the vultures took their cut.

This screw job is playing out every single day here in this crap hole, and none of these scumbag politicians give a rats ass as long as they get campaign contributions from the lawyers and phony doctors, and votes from their scumbag surrogates perpetuating the frauds!

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I've seen so many people go to the ER in the ambulance to "get checked out" after ridiculously minor crashes, it's pathetic. I totally get that you can be hurt without it being visible, and I've been sore after crashes, but some of the miniscule traffic bumps that people claim they're hurt from are just unbelievable. That ambulance ride from the scene is going to generate a bill right away that they're certainly not going to want to pay themselves, and that's just starting the process. It's discouraging watching people act that way.

I was named in a suit for a crash once (on duty) and two people not even in the car, the husbands of two women in the car, were added into the suit for the $50,000 limit each for "loss of companionship and consortium." In layman's terms, they couldn't get none from their old ladies after the supposed injuries suffered by their women, so they thought that was worth $50K apiece! The city attorney successfully defended on that case, I think their car was fixed and maybe the ride to the ER was paid, and eventually I got a call from a lawyer representing the plaintiff's lawyer, because the plaintiffs were now suing him claiming malpractice! That's the kind of crap that makes insurance expensive.

I have to ask...

How bad does a car crash have to be to knock a woman’s fun-zone out of joint?:noes:

And how many times is 50k worth? Something tells me theirs should be at a discounted rate.:rofl:

Armbruster Armory

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Lafayette
    Louisiana has had a "no pay, no play" statute on the books for about 20 years - if you are the driver and the car you are driving does not have insurance, you cannot recover the first $15,000 in personal injury damages (medical and pain and suffering) and the first $15,000 in property damages to your car.

There needs to be better enforcement to keep people without insurance off the roads; I understand that the insurers electronically advise the OMV when a policy lapses, but there should be a mechanism for the OMV to retrieve the license plates off of the vehicle, as the drivers just keep driving until they get in an accident and at that point, we all pay for them not having insurance.

Nathan Hale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Louisiana
    There is the "No-Fault" auto insurance option (I believe insurance rates go down under that scheme(?).) However, a lot of people don't like the idea of someone who is truly at fault escaping financial liability for their actions, which is more than understandable. (But, currently, the non-insured/under-insured/asset poor who are at fault in an auto accident escape full liability. One needs to have collision coverage/self insurance to account for those types of situations anyway.)

I do like "no pay- no play."

Last edited:

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    There is the "No-Fault" auto insurance option (I believe insurance rates go down under that scheme(?).) However, a lot of people don't like the idea of someone who is truly at fault escaping financial liability for their actions, which is more than understandable. (But, currently, the non-insured/under-insured/asset poor who are at fault in an auto accident escape full liability. One needs to have collision coverage/self insurance to account for those types of situations anyway.)

I do like "no pay- no play."
    No-Fault insurance does not lower our rates. I lived in Florida when they enacted it and my rate kept going up every year. When I came back to Louisiana they passed a law requiring everyone to have insurance, they claimed it would lower our insurance rate, again it has done nothing but increase. They were suppose to tow vehicles with no insurance and naturally the democrats in the inner cities said doing so would hurt their constituents by not allowing them to get to work or bring their kids to the doctor. I'm all for towing uninsured cars and truck no matter what. F'm if they don't have insurance they can walk, ride a bike or take public transit. Why should we pay higher premium because of their "I want everything free" mentality.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    No-Fault insurance does not lower our rates. I lived in Florida when they enacted it and my rate kept going up every year. When I came back to Louisiana they passed a law requiring everyone to have insurance, they claimed it would lower our insurance rate, again it has done nothing but increase. They were suppose to tow vehicles with no insurance and naturally the democrats in the inner cities said doing so would hurt their constituents by not allowing them to get to work or bring their kids to the doctor. I'm all for towing uninsured cars and truck no matter what. F'm if they don't have insurance they can walk, ride a bike or take public transit. Why should we pay higher premium because of their "I want everything free" mentality.

Guys I’m seeing a pattern the government intervenes insurance goes up. Government doesn’t intervene insurance goes up. Since the insurance companies have begged for so much government intervention maybe it’s time government takes a good hard look at the insurance premiums. They can’t have it both ways. On my last auto purchase I got smoked when I called the insurance company because of two words *king ranch*. It didn’t matter that it was 5 years old worth less than 1/3 the original sticker. So I switched companies and saved $100 a month with the exact same coverage. If the insurance companies want the government to mandate their product and help reduce their cost, price control should be a part of the bargain.

Last edited:

Armbruster Armory

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Lafayette
    That already exists - an insurer cannot raise rates unless it applies to the Commission of Insurance and shows their recent income and expenses and justifies the rate increase they are seeking.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Guys I’m seeing a pattern the government intervenes insurance goes up. Government doesn’t intervene insurance goes up. Since the insurance companies have begged for so much government intervention maybe it’s time government takes a good hard look at the insurance premiums. They can’t have it both ways. On my last auto purchase I got smoked when I called the insurance company because of two words *king ranch*. It didn’t matter that it was 5 years old worth less than 1/3 the original sticker. So I switched companies and saved $100 a month with the exact same coverage. If the insurance companies want the government to mandate their product and help reduce their cost, price control should be a part of the bargain.

That already exists - an insurer cannot raise rates unless it applies to the Commission of Insurance and shows their recent income and expenses and justifies the rate increase they are seeking.

What is most unsettling is if you have a lot to lose personally; nice car/truck, nice house, money in the bank, etc., you are the fool if you don't cover yourself with insurance like a blanket. Again, we (the fools), want to follow the law. We (the fools), want to make sure our stuff is not taken away by a scumbag. We (the fools), find ways to pay! We (the fools), deprive ourselves and our families to find the money!

The scumbags? Just swim around like bacteria in a sewage pond! No cares in the world! No insurance! No consequences!

SSGSSG

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 27, 2014
    24.2 miles north of hell
    I own commercial vehicles. It is considered a BLESSING when you are hit by one.. Oh my back, my neck, my neck and my back.
    That is the term I have heard OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Why cant I have a raise?
    Well because the cost to pay the blessings eats away at my bottom line by 40%each incident. I have to deal with this mindset each and every day. Cost of doing business trickles down to the customer. LOOSE/LOOSE!!!!!!!!
    Cameras in your vehicles work! I have them in all of my vehicles and front and rear in my 16 year olds vehicle.
    We need a cap on law suits like in Europe. I think its 15k euro. P.S. I hate people.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I own commercial vehicles. It is considered a BLESSING when you are hit by one.. Oh my back, my neck, my neck and my back.
    That is the term I have heard OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Why cant I have a raise?
    Well because the cost to pay the blessings eats away at my bottom line by 40%each incident. I have to deal with this mindset each and every day. Cost of doing business trickles down to the customer. LOOSE/LOOSE!!!!!!!!
    Cameras in your vehicles work! I have them in all of my vehicles and front and rear in my 16 year olds vehicle.
    We need a cap on law suits like in Europe. I think its 15k euro. P.S. I hate people.

P.S. I hate people.

I have never seen / read you here before, and I already know I like you!

But let's get serious! You do not hate people more than I do! ;)

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

If that is the case why is the same coverage so widely varying in price? My money is on it’s no being managed strictly enough. Again I’m a free market guy but this is a government requirement to function in the greater majority of society. My brother in law was getting thoroughly raped on his truck policy. So he came to me for help. No tickets, no DUI’s $350+ a month on a 40k truck. He switched companies and it’s less than half that now.

Beau Etienne

Take a Card. Any Card.
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    I do not believe, not even for a second, that in the event legislation is passed to limit payouts, the buying public will receive an equitable percentage compared to the savings that insurance companies will receive.
    The determining factor of the amounts insurance companies will receive in savings will be dictated by the insurance companies to our elected representatives. Any big insurance company that does not get what they determine to be fair to them can and will stop coverage in this state. Anyone counting on seeing their insurance rates appreciably lowered will be disappointed.
    A wise old man I knew used to say that the insurance companies are the banks and the banks are the insurance companies. While this is a pretty general statement I have found it to be generally true. Big money is what our elected representatives count on to get re-elected.
    While a fix is needed, there is no simple fix.
    Just my two cents worth.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    While a fix is needed, there is no simple fix.

Wanna bet?

iu
    iu

;)

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    The best part is your WC experience mod is F^CKED FOR 3 YEARS.
    Don’t get me started on bs work comp claims. I’m right there with you constantly fighting some type of claim. Had a guy with calcium fused vertebrae claim he hurt his neck on the job recently. Occupational medicine is where it’s at.

- - - Updated - - -

Wanna bet?

iu
    iu

;)
    :rofl:

snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    Don’t get me started on bs work comp claims. I’m right there with you constantly fighting some type of claim. Had a guy with calcium fused vertebrae claim he hurt his neck on the job recently. Occupational medicine is where it’s at.

- - - Updated - - -

:rofl:

Ah, the joys of workers’ comp. I see some interesting stuff...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I have to ask...

How bad does a car crash have to be to knock a woman’s fun-zone out of joint?:noes:

And how many times is 50k worth? Something tells me theirs should be at a discounted rate.:rofl:

Two adults and one child who went to the hospital (not me) first got out and walked around. Two other children from carseats also went, FIVE in total for the ambulances. One lady walked around carrying a child...until a family member showed up, at which time she passed the child off and promptly laid out on the ground waiting for a spine board. ONE occupant, a minor child, had a laceration of about a half inch on her earlobe, from striking it against...ready for this...the UNSECURED car seat of a younger sibling (the mother wrote the Trooper a statement admitting not securing the two carSEATS(!) that the one child sat between in the middle of the back).

Their vehicle appeared physically repairable, but I don't know how cost vs. value went on that, fixed or paid out. My unit, less than a year old, was totaled out due to having spun up over a curb and crushing in by the pillar just behind the driver's door, damage to structure beyound replaceable outer components making it a parts pile for the barn to salvage from. I rode a really crappy pool unit for a while until our department got our first Tahoes and I got one of those.

My wrist was a little sore, and the doc at the urgent care where I had to go pee in a cup required an x-ray of my chest because (I'd not heard specifically of this before) people in crashes of moderate, and sometimes even seemingly insignificant impact, can suffer initially minor tears of the aorta due to internal shifts on impact, leading to sudden bursting and quick internal bleed-outs (or so she explained). Made me slightly nervous to think of kicking in bed later in the night unexpectedly, but all looked well.

As for the dollars-to-durinit math, I can't figure how they reached $50K, it might have been based on poundage per cheek...

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom