Tire chalking unconstitutional

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    That stinks. I guess we'll have to set up more inspection sticker non-checkpoints to make up for lost parking ticket revenue. I need my Christmas bonus.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    That stinks. I guess we'll have to set up more inspection sticker non-checkpoints to make up for lost parking ticket revenue. I need my Christmas bonus.

I laughed so hard I snorted. Those of us who are at least half witted, know you guys don’t make a commission, but as I pointed out before the optics on some enforcement tactics for specific laws is often unpalatable, but can agree to disagree.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yeah...I'm not looking to rehash that previous discussion but I figured some people may have found my reply somewhat entertaining.

On a serious note. I've often wondered about the meter maid putting the parking ticket under the windshield wiper since the wiper is private property. But I guess that could be different because the ticket is a notice of a past violation rather than collecting evidence for a future violation.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    But ... but ... what about your quota?

:D

Mike

That reminded of a really funny one I heard years ago. *If they meet the quota all year, at the end of the year at the policeman’s ball their name could be drawn to win a cruise*. :rofl:

The stuff people dream up is funny as hell. Perez how many cruises your department send you on? And did you wear a top hat to the policeman’s ball?

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yeah...I'm not looking to rehash that previous discussion but I figured some people may have found my reply somewhat entertaining.

On a serious note. I've often wondered about the meter maid putting the parking ticket under the windshield wiper since the wiper is private property. But I guess that could be different because the ticket is a notice of a past violation rather than collecting evidence for a future violation.

My un-lawyerly mind imagines that this would fall under the same auspices of someone being able to come on to private property to serve notice. And unlike the chalking, there's nothing actually done to alter or deface or vandalize the vehicle (sketchy argument, I know), so I guess it passes legal muster.

Or maybe not. Is there anything in the law the explicitly allows for this? Or, if someone was just leaving random bits of paper under my windshield wiper, would they be guilty of a crime?

Mike

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    My un-lawyerly mind imagines that this would fall under the same auspices of someone being able to come on to private property to serve notice. And unlike the chalking, there's nothing actually done to alter or deface or vandalize the vehicle (sketchy argument, I know), so I guess it passes legal muster.

Or maybe not. Is there anything in the law the explicitly allows for this? Or, if someone was just leaving random bits of paper under my windshield wiper, would they be guilty of a crime?

Mike

My less than scholarly opinion says no but if it’s not a ticket that carries the weight of law it could be a tort. IE if lil Weasel has some self promoting fliers and the flier causes you damages then I think we could find you an attorney to take the case. :mamoru:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    That reminded of a really funny one I heard years ago. *If they meet the quota all year, at the end of the year at the policeman’s ball their name could be drawn to win a cruise*. :rofl:

The stuff people dream up is funny as hell. Perez how many cruises your department send you on? And did you wear a top hat to the policeman’s ball?

We don't have balls.

(There's the setup. Anyone is welcome to swing for the fences.)

Mike

Do you mean like the random "lawn cutting" advertisements in the grocery store parking lot?

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Do you mean like the random "lawn cutting" advertisements in the grocery store parking lot?

I wasn't thinking of that specifically, but sure. Is there any law against that? And I'm not sure if this is important or not ... but the grocery store parking lot is private property, where the meter maids probably aren't writing tickets. What if my truck is parked on a public street? Can someone legally leave a leaflet under the windshield wiper?

Mike

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I wasn't thinking of that specifically, but sure. Is there any law against that? And I'm not sure if this is important or not ... but the grocery store parking lot is private property, where the meter maids probably aren't writing tickets. What if my truck is parked on a public street? Can someone legally leave a leaflet under the windshield wiper?

Mike

There can be a local ordinance that addresses it, we have one in Slidell that covers it, not supposed to place on windshields, can't place at residential doors if not secured from blowing away and becoming litter, can offer to hand directly to a person. It's not a complaint we commonly get.

As for metered parking, I once parked in a space where the meter was broken and covered with a padlocked cover, no way I could pay, and after a half hour visit in a coffee shop, walked out to the meter maid about to put a ticket on my car! I simply pointed that out, and she gave a shoulder shrug and an "Oh, okay..." and moved on, but that witch was going to scratch me a cite for not paying a locked up, broken meter! That is some lazy, chickensh!t stuff right there, the kind of thing that makes people want to bash police on internet forums!

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    There can be a local ordinance that addresses it, we have one in Slidell that covers it, not supposed to place on windshields, can't place at residential doors if not secured from blowing away and becoming litter, can offer to hand directly to a person. It's not a complaint we commonly get.

As for metered parking, I once parked in a space where the meter was broken and covered with a padlocked cover, no way I could pay, and after a half hour visit in a coffee shop, walked out to the meter maid about to put a ticket on my car! I simply pointed that out, and she gave a shoulder shrug and an "Oh, okay..." and moved on, but that witch was going to scratch me a cite for not paying a locked up, broken meter! That is some lazy, chickensh!t stuff right there, the kind of thing that makes people want to bash police on internet forums!

My grandpa went his grave sore about a parking ticket he got in DC. His story was he parked in an unmetered space and when he returned found a ticket and a roll away no parking sign. I don’t know what he was so sore about he never paid it.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Some cities have an ordinance that states that parking space becomes a "no parking zone" if the meter is not operational. I'm not familiar with the ordinances in Slidell but I know New Orleans has that ordinance. I could not find any reference to parking meters in Slidell's Code of Ordinances.

Sec. 154-1086. - When use required; prohibited.
    (a) On those sections of city streets where parking is regulated at metered spaces, parking is permitted on the days and between the hours of operation posted for the intervals of time as indicated by the single/double space parking meters, multispace pay stations, on-line parking services (OPS), or on signs installed by the authority of the director of the department of public works in conjunction with such single/double space parking meters, multispace pay stations, or OPS meter spaces.
    (b) It shall be unlawful for a vehicle to be parked in a metered space on the days and between the hours of operation indicated in paragraph (a) above, when the specified payment has not been made for use of the metered space and the single/double space parking meter, multispace pay station or OPS indicates that such payment has not been made, or when signage indicates that such space is not a legal parking space at that time. It shall be lawful to park in such legal parking spaces on public holidays, as defined in section 154-2, without payment of the specified amount, regardless of the presence of single/double space parking meters, multispace pay stations or OPS which might at other times regulate such space.
    (c) It shall be unlawful for a vehicle to be parked at any time in a metered space when a locked bag or hood has been placed upon such single/double space parking meter.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Saw on WAFB that the BRPD is one of the lowest paid forces in the state; and ranks pretty damn low on a national scale as well. :(

Second largest populace in the state, it's the state Capitol, and has some of the highest crime rates in the state!

What a ******** we live in!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom