Worth hunting in Mississippi from St. Tammany? other suggestions?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mannelite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2019
    Covington, Louisiana
    Hey Guys, I'm really new to hunting and would like to make this fall my first season. I've been getting cross-eyed reading all the different rules and regulations for each area. I am pretty budget restricted and do not own a truck or a boat (I have a little coupe), although I could rent a truck for a couple days, that's not too expensive and I'm not adverse to throwing a tarp-wrapped carcass in my trunk. Anyway, I live in Covington, and it seems the only place I can really hunt (because of location) is Honey Island (PRWMA)? I don't mind taking a little road trip if I have to find a good area, does anyone know of good hunting locations I can try out? Should I just stick to PRWMA? I was thinking there may be some places in Mississippi that may be easier to hunt without having to battle the swamp and all the water? I'm not asking to give away your honey holes, but maybe just the name of the park or public land where I might could try? Any suggestions you guys might have would be great. I'm not great at bird ID yet, I can tell a Canada Goose and a Turkey. but that's about it. I'd be interested in hunting any quadrupeds, or birds I'd be able to identify. Thanks!

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Honestly Mississippi public land isn’t where I would want to learn to whitetail hunt I’ve hunted it and it can be tough if you don’t have a lot of gear and/or dogs. That said most of the national forests in Mississippi are accessible in a car. DeSoto near camp Shelby can be good hunting but be prepared the HWMMV’s, MRAP’s, tanks, and personnel carriers destroy the roads. They also do training exercises outside the gates from time to time. The deer there are less sensitive to noises in the woods. Most clubs in South Mississippi are expensive but you go towards the center of the state and it gets cheaper. Clubs on timber company land tend to be a little cheaper but often required more member participation because pine trees won’t sustain a deer herd. So you plant more plots and throw more feed. But new hunters solo hunting public land should expect low success rates. I’m not trying to dissuade you from hunting just be prepared it’s a steep curve. Your first harvest will make up for the cold and the heat and the mosquitoes and briars and whatever else comes your way if you stick it out.

Mannelite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2019
    Covington, Louisiana
    Thanks for the advice Bangswitch! I don't expect easy haha nothing good is easy..... Anyway, I'll look those places up, De Soto sounds good but sounds like I'd probably want to rent a car or truck for that... I had a friend talking me into joining a lease, I just don't have a whole lot of money, I can maybe budget $800ish a year for membership, but I'd rather spend that on gear, especially in my first few years or so. I don't have any gear yet other than my own mini arsenal :D So I figure I try my luck out on public land in October, start on squirrel/rabbit and scout around, that way by November, I'll hopefully have an idea about the lay of the land, somewhere, and hopefully nail a deer or pig or two. I don't have a bow so my "big game" season is a little limited. But it sounds to me like you think public land in Mississippi isn't much better than Pearl River WMA? So I might as well stick to in state license?

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Thanks for the advice Bangswitch! I don't expect easy haha nothing good is easy..... Anyway, I'll look those places up, De Soto sounds good but sounds like I'd probably want to rent a car or truck for that... I had a friend talking me into joining a lease, I just don't have a whole lot of money, I can maybe budget $800ish a year for membership, but I'd rather spend that on gear, especially in my first few years or so. I don't have any gear yet other than my own mini arsenal :D So I figure I try my luck out on public land in October, start on squirrel/rabbit and scout around, that way by November, I'll hopefully have an idea about the lay of the land, somewhere, and hopefully nail a deer or pig or two. I don't have a bow so my "big game" season is a little limited. But it sounds to me like you think public land in Mississippi isn't much better than Pearl River WMA? So I might as well stick to in state license?

Ive never hunted pear river so I can’t warrant any opinions of it but the national forests in Mississippi have really good roads even in the winter months. I’ve hunted them from cars a few times and I’ve never felt I would get stuck the places I’ve gone. If you decide to check out DeSoto travel slowly the potholes in the road bed blend right in and I could see some carnage occurring if not approached with sufficient caution. Look for areas with recent controlled burns, look for water, mature oak trees, persimmon trees, beauty berries, transitions between thicker woods and mature hard woods. The MDWFP does some food plot work in some of the management areas but not necessarily all of them. That can be an attractive place for deer towards the end of season once all the acorns have started to rot. Younger deer will use them during the day as early as mid November older deer often won’t show up except at night. Hunt food plots till the last legal second at dusk.

Last edited:

Mannelite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2019
    Covington, Louisiana
    Not to mention, a Mississippi hunting license is not cheap for nonresident.
    ooowwwww you're right, I was looking earlier and didn't realize I had to purchase the "all game" which is $300 for out of state.... I thought I could pull it off for under a hundred.... Guess I'll stick to LA. Know of any decent public land near your neck of the woods 5567?

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I'm in a hunting club in Holden myself but I do hunt Sherbourne sometimes and Russell Sage in Monroe. I may do some hunting in Yancey this year. There is Joyce WMA but mostly water filled swamp. There are some school board properties managed by LA Wildlife. You may have to do a bit of traveling. I've never hunted in Pearl WMA. You might check some of the Federal Reserves also.
    They all seem to have abbreviated hunting seasons unless it's for hogs or bowhunting or small game.

Last edited:

Mannelite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2019
    Covington, Louisiana
    I'd love to hunt some hogs, but most of the places says you have to take them during a season with legal gear for that season... But thanks for the suggestion, I haven't looked at areas up by Monroe yet! Pearl River WMA is mostly water filled swamp... So yes I'm looking for a dryer alternative haha thanks for the advice! I'll check out Sherbourne and Yancy and Russell.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom