Whiskey.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I've tried the 'better' whiskys. There's a half a bottle of maker's mark sitting on the counter even. But I just prefer Jack Daniels... I was on a Canadian Club kick for a while. I had found a case of it in my grandfather's garage bottled in the 60's (I know it doesn't continue to age but it tasted a touch better than the new stuff). Unfortunately, I lost what was left of that case in Katrina.

Last edited:

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    And I have been drinking Benchmark since the mid 70's. I have drank enough to float a battleship. Fairly cheap, $20.00 for the big bottle.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    On the "ABOUT" page, there is a disclaimer saying it is illegal to distill drinking alcohol. You can use their stills for distilling water and you can get a permit for fuel alcohol.

That's right, The old Ford 8N runs on booze with a jetted out jet,Same as the old farm truck...

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I thought for certain you could cook your own whiskey (up to 3 gallons per year) guess that’s kind of like, *your cars an extension of your home.* But it sounds like you can get a fuel permit, and drink your fuel. ;)
    I would suggest anything short of white lightning on a fuel permit would be tempting fate.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Bushmill's for Irish, preferably the 16 year, haven't yet popped for the 21.
    Jack Daniels and Maker's Mark, Knob Creek Small Batch, Jim Beam Black and Devil's Cut, I'm down for lots of Bourbons. I've had a glass of Pappy before, some $1,500/btl. variety a buddy had, and I can say I drank it, but I'd like to keep what's left of my esophagus.
    Balvenie 12 for Scotch, I've not run a lot of those across my palette yet, though.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Woodford Reserve is the official Bourbon of the Kentucky Derby, and one of my favorites.

Four Roses runs a close second.

Elijah Craig is gud two.

Larceny will gitter done.

I fell in with a Not So Secret Bourbon Club. It's a gathering of miscreants who like Bourbon and Cigars.

I don't smoke, but I do enjoy a good bourbon, with an ice cube.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    I'm a pretty serious bourbon guy, and there have been some good suggestions on this thread so far. But, I'm surprised no one has mentioned one of my personal favorites - Willet Bourbon. It isn't super cheap, but it's also not crazy expensive either. You should at least give it a try. If you don't want to pay for an entire bottle, free taste testing at my place! You bring a bottle of one of your favorites to compare.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Whats wrong with brewing your own?
    Now you’re talking

0b7ca9222e9061e407c97a0669f7ca0f.jpg

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Now you’re talking

0b7ca9222e9061e407c97a0669f7ca0f.jpg
    Right/wrong and legal/illegal aren’t mutually exclusive concepts.

I think the ATF makes a distinction between wine/beer/meed/cider and spirits when it comes to homebrew. And as best I can tell there is no legal route to high alcohol content distillation for personal consumption. A fuel permit would allow you to distill legally but any attempts to age the whiskey or make it more palatable could get you in a bind if caught.

Update:
    seems I quoted the wrong post. I apologize for any confusion

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I thought for certain you could cook your own whiskey (up to 3 gallons per year) guess that’s kind of like, *your cars an extension of your home.* But it sounds like you can get a fuel permit, and drink your fuel. ;)
    I would suggest anything short of white lightning on a fuel permit would be tempting fate.

One thing about the fuel permit....

The ATF WILL stop by for a visit to inspect your ''fuel''

You will have to PROVE your using it as a fuel...Like running a lawnmower/tractor/truck as an example....Or as a guy I know running one of the toy powerboats in his pond.

So be ready,It may take them a year to ''visit''

I wouldn't store it in quart mason jars...Big red flag!!!

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    Crown, Gentleman's Jack, Four Roses Small Batch, Bullet, Jameson Black Barrel, Knob Creek.
    Currently my go to and favorite is Tin Cup.
    My least favorite is Eagle Rare.

Seeing a Bookers came up a few times already, Ill try that next.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Currently, I've got a bottle of Woodford Double smoked in my decanter. I also have been sipping a bit of scotch lately and my current two go-to's are Balvenie Carribean Cask and JW Blue.

Anyone a fan of Blanton's bourbon? I've been trying to find a bottle, but it doesn't seem too easy. May grab some of the Four Roses as well as I've never owned a bottle of it.

Saint Peter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    morgan city, la
    If you can find it blantons it's very tasty but beware some places charge a lot more than should also Stagg Jr is good I seem to like buffalo trace distillery burbouns best at moment eagle rare is the go to for me when i desire a beverage

Last edited:
    Top Bottom