Whiskey.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    My current shopping list for alcohol is:
    Monkey Shoulder, Johnny Walker Green, Blanton's, Four Roses Single Barrel, Captain Morgan Private Stock(delicious on ice), and now Basil Hayden's

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Right/wrong and legal/illegal aren’t mutually exclusive concepts.

I think the ATF makes a distinction between wine/beer/meed/cider and spirits when it comes to homebrew. And as best I can tell there is no legal route to high alcohol content distillation for personal consumption. A fuel permit would allow you to distill legally but any attempts to age the whiskey or make it more palatable could get you in a bind if caught.

Update:
    seems I quoted the wrong post. I apologize for any confusion
    If you’re stating that distilling ethyl alcohol is illegal you need to catch up on the laws and how much you can legally distill on your own property for your own private consumption.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If you’re stating that distilling ethyl alcohol is illegal you need to catch up on the laws and how much you can legally distill on your own property for your own private consumption.

I decided to look into it and it's illegal to distill ethyl alcohol for personal consumption in the United States (via Federal Law) without a permit. Louisiana follows federal law. Some states may make it legal (via state law), but federal law still trumps state law making it a federal crime.

With that being said...getting caught making small amounts of whatever likely won't get you in anyone trouble unless you're stupid about it.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Currently, I've got a bottle of Woodford Double smoked in my decanter. I also have been sipping a bit of scotch lately and my current two go-to's are Balvenie Carribean Cask and JW Blue.

Anyone a fan of Blanton's bourbon? I've been trying to find a bottle, but it doesn't seem too easy. May grab some of the Four Roses as well as I've never owned a bottle of it.

You're wayyyyy too young to have a decanter, Don Draper!! :dogkeke:

Blanton's is great, but, yes, hard to find.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    One thing about the fuel permit....

The ATF WILL stop by for a visit to inspect your ''fuel''

You will have to PROVE your using it as a fuel...Like running a lawnmower/tractor/truck as an example....Or as a guy I know running one of the toy powerboats in his pond.

So be ready,It may take them a year to ''visit''

I wouldn't store it in quart mason jars...Big red flag!!!

Call Uncle Jesse! The Revenuer's r a'coming!

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Kirkland's Irish Whiskey
    Jameson if I'm feeling spendy

I bought a bottle of Kirklands to try, after I kill this bottle of Jameson. I haven't opened it yet. I read some reviews that liked it. I don't have an incredibly sophisticated palate, so I thought I'd try it. How do you like it compared to Jameson?

bigsk

Iconoclast
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Not much of a bourbon guy, but I like to imbibe a bit of brown water. Go to sitting around the house, Oban 14yr, Glenlivet Nadurra or Glenfiddich 15yr single malt.

I was introduced to the sipping tequilas a few years back. Good stuff, drink straight like scotch. Don Julio 1942 anjeo or Herradura Respado.

Always keep some of the Irish whiskeys around as well. Redbreast 12yr and Jameson 18yr Reserve.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

I don’t know the technical verbiage but the broad strokes as I know them are:

beer, wine, hard cider, etc. = no permit below x gallons per year

ethyl fuel = fuel permit

drinking whiskey = You need proper permit

If you are making for personal consumption you would likely never have trouble but making whiskey without a proper permit is illegal at any amount.

Coyote5.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2016
    Prairieville
    Ain't capitalism great. All the superb choices you guys mentioned. Each has it's intended purpose and niche. For all around general/frequent drinking. Elijah Craig, Makers Mark, Knob Creek, and Buffalo Trace. Anytime anywhere whiskey most whiskey drinkers can relate too.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I'm a pretty serious bourbon guy, and there have been some good suggestions on this thread so far. But, I'm surprised no one has mentioned one of my personal favorites - Willet Bourbon. It isn't super cheap, but it's also not crazy expensive either. You should at least give it a try. If you don't want to pay for an entire bottle, free taste testing at my place! You bring a bottle of one of your favorites to compare.

I got dat. Good stuff.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Ain't capitalism great. All the superb choices you guys mentioned. Each has it's intended purpose and niche. For all around general/frequent drinking. Elijah Craig, Makers Mark, Knob Creek, and Buffalo Trace. Anytime anywhere whiskey most whiskey drinkers can relate too.

I agree with that! I'd also lump Woodford Reserve into the everyday drinking list. I like it neat better than Makers or Knob Creek.

jsg34

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    I have quite a few bottles on hand. 31 at last count. Four Roses Single Barrel is the best value in whiskey. Granted it is not as good as Elmer Lee or a few of the Weller offerings, but I can always find it without much effort and it is very nice to drink.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I have quite a few bottles on hand. 31 at last count. Four Roses Single Barrel is the best value in whiskey. Granted it is not as good as Elmer Lee or a few of the Weller offerings, but I can always find it without much effort and it is very nice to drink.

I've never had it outside of Old Fashions @ restaurants. How is it neat/on ice?

I might pick a bottle up this week.

Coyote5.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2016
    Prairieville
    I agree with that! I'd also lump Woodford Reserve into the everyday drinking list. I like it neat better than Makers or Knob Creek.

Agree Woodford Reserve is also in that group. Also Crown Reserve neat. Ice brings out its (CR) bitter notes.

Last edited:

Coyote5.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2016
    Prairieville

Some of the local stores buy a barrel of Four Roses and sell single Barrel bottles. Several years ago Alexander's Grocery bought a barrel and sold single barrel bottles. That barrel really caught my attention. So I bought 10 bottles. It is long gone and fondly remembered.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    My current shopping list for alcohol is:
    Monkey Shoulder, Johnny Walker Green, Blanton's, Four Roses Single Barrel, Captain Morgan Private Stock(delicious on ice), and now Basil Hayden's

Have you called Martin's wine cellar in Metairie? They're usually pretty good about finding things for you...

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    I am going to be the whiskey beater of the group, but I like a more bold whiskey, and good O'le Jim Beam Black extra aged is my go to for every day drinking. I find the Woodfords, 1792, Makers, Bulliet, to be lacking some of the bold oaky flavors I like. Bookers, Tin Cup, Van Winkle all have great flavors as well. I have hard time paying twice the price of Jim Beam Black for other whiskies that don't suit my pallet. It is a bit more harsh, but that comes with the territory. Can't have all the flavors, and be the smoothest also.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom