Louisiana trying to ban death penalty?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    On the plus side it'll save the state money in legal fees.

I'm not a big fan of what's currently involved in the death penalty. 10+ years is ridiculous. OTOH, prison needs to be much more unpleasant.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Dakota Theriot is the reason why one should NOT have a death penalty. It is obvious that he is crazier than a shithouse rat and has given up his right to live out of jail but these are the types of people we do NOT execute. He is batshit crazy.

See and here lies a problem I have when the justice system is discussed. On one hand we talk about sentences as punishment and the other as deterrent. Then we look though each prism without regard for the other depending on the concern. I’m not intending to hammer you but the mental yoga we do to feel good.

The man you speak of may very well be insane, and it seems unseemly that one would *punish* someone for a crime they may not have done if a disease/illness had not made them. However you hamstring the deterrent by letting coo-coo bird off a little light.

What we should all want for society is justice, and justice is not served by feeding a murder 3 squares for the next 60 years, mental illness or not.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    See and here lies a problem I have when the justice system is discussed. On one hand we talk about sentences as punishment and the other as deterrent. Then we look though each prism without regard for the other depending on the concern. I’m not intending to hammer you but the mental yoga we do to feel good.

The problem is, the vast majority of the research suggests that capital punishment isn't a deterrent.

Mike

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    The problem is, the vast majority of the research suggests that capital punishment isn't a deterrent.

Mike

Because we are limp wristed whiners bring back public hangings for the cases that are open and shut cases and end the appeals process for those guys, and watch how quick it’s a deterrent. But again you can’t look at it as just a deterrent or just a punishment, because it’s neither. It’s the exacting of justice

Last edited:

Nathan Hale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Louisiana
    The reason for a death penalty is retribution; deterrence is irrelevant. People try to justify the death penalty by claiming it is a deterrence because they are too cowardly to admit that they want retribution.

EJAIII

Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    He's right....It cost the state millions to put a convicted felon to death. Quite honestly, I think putting them down is allowing them to get off too easy. Let those azz holes rot, and enjoy their room without a view. I've toured Angola when I worked for the state. It's not any place any wants to be. It's NOT "easy time" there. Believe me, it sux hard.

Last edited:

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    You say,Oops,Here's 20 million of the states tax dollars like everyone else who screws up and pulls the trigger on the wrong dude...

In all actuality the law should go after the ones who bared false witness against a proven innocent person....Let them pull a few years in the lock-up

Along with prosecutors who withheld evidence from the defense, and let that include law enforcement that gave false or misleading statements. Require that they spend an equal time in jail. Make prosecutors actually seek justice and not just try to make a name for themselves by winning more cases.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Along with prosecutors who withheld evidence from the defense, and let that include law enforcement that gave false or misleading statements. Require that they spend an equal time in jail. Make prosecutors actually seek justice and not just try to make a name for themselves by winning more cases.

What is wrong with the current law already in place that covers this issue?

DarcMac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Gonzales, LA

Mike

You will need to provide links to some of that "vast research", because that is simply not true. In fact, public executions have proven to be incredibly effective deterrents. It scares the **** out of people. States with high rates of criminal executions, such as Texas, experience a lower level of violent crime per capita than states that avoid the death penalty, such as Illinois.
    There is a very good reason the death penalty was reinstated after only a few years of abolition in the 70s. Even bleeding-heart liberal states wanted it back because the crime rate skyrocketed.

Last edited:

DarcMac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    He's right....It cost the state millions to put a convicted felon to death. Quite honestly, I think putting them down is allowing them to get off too easy. Let those azz holes rot, and enjoy their room without a view. I've toured Angola when I worked for the state. It's not any place any wants to be. It's NOT "easy time" there. Believe me, it sux hard.

I hereby offer my services as state executioner for millions less than the current cost - only a modest salary, plus the cost of the bullets. I promise that a magnum caliber bullet through the brain is completely quick and painless for you bleeding heart "poor criminal" wimps.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    You will need to provide links to some of that "vast research", because that is simply not true. In fact, public executions have proven to be incredibly effective deterrents. It scares the **** out of people. States with high rates of criminal executions, such as Texas, experience a lower level of violent crime per capita than states that avoid the death penalty, such as Illinois.
    There is a very good reason the death penalty was reinstated after only a few years of abolition in the 70s. Even bleeding-heart liberal states wanted it back because the crime rate skyrocketed.

I’m not sure on all your argument but your premise is solid. The western world handles crime in such a genteel fashion compared to the rest of the world. Many are barbaric but many tend to enjoy lower crime rates. Maybe we should land somewhere between loosing hand for petty theft and coddling a bunch of dirtbags.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

I am for the death penalty. I do not believe it is a deterrent. It is used too infrequently and the wait is too long for the average criminal to fear being put to death. I would say it is not a deterrent against the more heinous crimes because of the same issues. With respect to Louisiana, there have been about 28 people put to death in the last 40 or so years and nobody put to death since 2010. There are more than twice as many people on death row. At that rate, it will be 80 years before death row is cleared out. And that's not counting those added after today. So in theory, they are waiting to be put to death. In practice, it's just a life sentence without parole. I can't see how that's a deterrent. But if you have the numbers to show it is, and that seems to be the case judging by your post, I'm open minded and will look at the data.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Apple cider vinegarOTR
    Top Bottom