Louisiana trying to ban death penalty?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Where did I say probable cause meant guilty ? Everyone arrested and held for trial are there because there was probable cause and presumed innocent . Up until the verdict is handed down everyone ( unless they confess) is to be presumed innocent . It is legal to arrest and hold innocent people in jail until bond or trial as long as there is probable cause . If you had reread all my posts you would know I have continuity emphasized there had to be enough evidence of wrong doings to fit the probable cause criteria .
    Here's what you must decide. Does probable cause mean the person is guilty? If it does not, you can say he is accused of acting outside of the scope of his duties but you cannot say he did act outside the scope of his duties until he is convicted.

And once again, you have not address why the current laws on the books are insufficient to the point that new laws are needed.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Tboy I apologize for hijacking your post . I was merely stating why I was not pro death penalty . My opinion is not based on religion or cost to court comparison but I respect the opinions those that base their opinion on those things . I apologize to anyone in law enforcement if my posts seem to imply I think hiding / loosing or concocting evidence is something the majority of LEO do or even condone . I don't believe that ,as a matter of fact I believe most LEO are ashamed such actions done by a few and would be the first to condemn them . I feel any further comments from me on this subject are not warranted as any questions anyone has can be easily answered by simply rereading my comments .

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I feel any further comments from me on this subject are not warranted as any questions anyone has can be easily answered by simply rereading my comments .

I'm pretty sure you haven't answered what you feel is wrong with the current laws that require a new set of laws. You do know there are laws in place right now to cover situations like you described, right?

jsg34

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    Being involved in this field, I am not going to pretend that there is no misconduct anywhere in the US. But that is not the major culprit. As another poster pointed out, advances in technology and science are major factors in convicted murderers later being exonerated. Aside from advances in DNA analysis, I would like to use the FBI Hair and Fiber unit as an example. Many have been convicted, sentenced to death, and several have been executed based on what the FBI now acknowledges is flawed science. How many other examples of flawed technique will be revealed in time.

From the FBI's own website:

"The government identified nearly 3,000 cases in which FBI examiners may have submitted reports or testified in trials using microscopic hair analysis. As of March 2015, the FBI had reviewed approximately 500 cases. The majority of these cases were trials and the transcript of examiner testimony was reviewed. Some of these cases ended in guilty pleas, limiting the review to the original lab report. In the 268 cases where examiners provided testimony used to inculpate a defendant at trial, erroneous statements were made in 257 (96 percent) of the cases. Defendants in at least 35 of these cases received the death penalty and errors were identified in 33 (94 percent) of those cases. Nine of these defendants have already been executed and five died of other causes while on death row. The states with capital cases included Arizona, California, Florida, Indiana, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and Texas. It should be noted that this is an ongoing process and that the numbers referenced above will change."

The report is much more detailed and is worth a read if one is truly interested in this topic. Source:

https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/p...t-least-90-percent-of-cases-in-ongoing-review

Also, an article on the issue from the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...62fcfabc310_story.html?utm_term=.e392b2c7f2a6

I, personally, am not willing to label those who are executed by mistake as "collateral damage"

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Being involved in this field, I am not going to pretend that there is no misconduct anywhere in the US. But that is not the major culprit. As another poster pointed out, advances in technology and science are major factors in convicted murderers later being exonerated. Aside from advances in DNA analysis, I would like to use the FBI Hair and Fiber unit as an example. Many have been convicted, sentenced to death, and several have been executed based on what the FBI now acknowledges is flawed science. How many other examples of flawed technique will be revealed in time.

As I understand it, fingerprints are only unique identifiers because two people with matching fingerprints have not been found. And fingerprint comparison is subjective. It's one person looking at two prints and deciding if they are a match. The quality of the prints affect the validity of the comparison.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/26/fbi_madrid_blunder/

And DNA matches are based on statistics. The DNA results don't say "these two samples [one from the crime scene and one from the suspect] came from the same person." They say "there is 1 in <insert really large number> chance the sample from the crime scene could have come from someone other than the suspect." That really large number is usually many multiples of the world population so the likelihood of the sample coming from anyone else is statistically non-existent and it's viewed as a definite match.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Ha Ha , I knew when it became obvious that you could not win the debate you would resort to that . I was born and raised in La. 2/3 of my life was spent in La. My entire family is in La. I spend half my Time in La. I have more property in La. than Mo. and I pay more taxes in La than I do Mo. I also have friends in La. who are members of law enforcement . And as far as where someone lives goes I don't want anyone in California or even New York to be executed because the LEO or prosecutor " acted within the scope of his job " Thank God most people in law enforcement are honorable people and don't condone such behavior .
    Hell, I'm still not sure why some dude in Missouri is even concerned with Louisiana laws to begin with,You?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ha Ha , I knew when it became obvious that you could not win the debate you would resort to that . I was born and raised in La. 2/3 of my life was spent in La. My entire family is in La. I spend half my Time in La. I have more property in La. than Mo. and I pay more taxes in La than I do Mo. I also have friends in La. who are members of law enforcement . And as far as where someone lives goes I don't want anyone in California or even New York to be executed because the LEO or prosecutor " acted within the scope of his job " Thank God most people in law enforcement are honorable people and don't condone such behavior .

With as much time as you've spent in Louisiana and how concerned you are with the law, one would think you would be able to explain the problem with the current laws on the books covering this issue.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    With as much time as you've spent in Louisiana and how concerned you are with the law, one would think you would be able to explain the problem with the current laws on the books covering this issue.
    I did in #16 and several more times . My whole objection is that LEO and prosecutors are not held accountable when they purposely work to hide or falsify evidence .I have stated several times that there needs to be new laws aimed at such behavior . I don't see how you can say I have not suggested problems with current laws when you have commented on laws and punishment I have suggested . You even suggested taxpayers pay to defend allegedly bad cops( according to probable cause evidence ) who have been charged under the laws I suggested . I still believe it should be equal punishment for false witness and no one be exempt . As long as you or any other cop stays uncorrupted you have nothing to worry about unless in event the LEO investigating you falsifies evidence to make it look like you hid or falsified evidence . Guess what the law I propose would definitely be a deterrent to him /her doing that to you because if caught they would face the same sentence . If you disagree with me that is fine but don't try to change what I have said or implied . Everyone here knows I said a few bad apples need to be held accountable and you and another have beat all around the bush trying to misrepresent what I have said . This post is probably about to be shut down , most usually are if the person debating a LEO doesn't cut them slack or cave in and let them win ,so I will un follow this post and you can spin it as you please . God bless you .

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

Hahaha, What's this out to win stuff? I don't pretend to be some sort of keyboard warrior,Personally I don't care what you may or may not have...As far as I know your some out-of stater dude living in The Show Me State who just can't seem to stop ragging the Leo's on here.....I enjoy some of the left field stuff you throw out...Carry on plz!

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I did in #16 and several more times . My whole objection is that LEO and prosecutors are not held accountable when they purposely work to hide or falsify evidence . I don't see how you can say I have not suggested problems with current laws when you have commented on laws and punishment I have suggested .

You have never addressed the current laws. You've only mentioned what you felt the appropriate law should be. Yes, I have commented on laws you have suggested. But I can say you have not suggested problems with current laws because you have not suggested problems with current laws. So lets make it easy. What are the current laws?

This post is probably about to be shut down , most usually are if the person debating a LEO doesn't cut them slack or cave in and let them win ,so I will un follow this post and you can spin it as you please . God bless you .

No, that is not the case. But you are welcome to create an out for yourself.

BobKaro

Yellow Boxes? Sweet!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Youngsville, LA
    What do y’all consider an acceptable ratio of innocent vs guilty prisoners executed?

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Why not jut ban all the crimes that are punishable by the death penalty? Problem solved. Banning seems to be the fix all in American politics. Look how well it works with gun violence.

CAJUNLAWYER

crusty old bastard
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Iberia Parish
    I really waffle on the question of the death penalty.

There are some cases where it seems like the only correct punishment ... like Dakota Theriot. From what I've read there's not a shadow of a doubt that he did it, so let him hang.

But there's a lot of cases that aren't quite as cut-and-dried, and I do wonder how many innocent people we've sent to the gallows over the years.

Mike

Dakota Theriot is the reason why one should NOT have a death penalty. It is obvious that he is crazier than a shithouse rat and has given up his right to live out of jail but these are the types of people we do NOT execute. He is batshit crazy.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom